Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate 9mm Major Load Data

rpm8300

Hey folks, I've been setting up and dialing in a new Czechmate and I just wanted to share some info.

From the factory, the rifling will prevent you from running longer bullets - this is well documented on this forum and others.  The mags can safely take 1.16 to 1.17 but you'll need to ream it out to run these - well worth it.  I went with Manson Reamers and they took good care of me after a small hiccup - you'll want a "35 Caliber Pistol Throater" item code "T35P".  It costs me $50 and I bought the $20 handle too - in retrospect you don't need the handle. After I reamed it, I had no problems running any bullet out to 1.17.  WELL worth the reaming - for anyone who is worried about doing it, just do it.

For loads, I tried WAC, Silhouette, and 3N38 - Sil is probably the all around best logistically, but 3N38 is flatter - you just need to run more of it and you'll be loading a pretty full case.  Fortunately the gun is very accurate with Blue bullets so Im shooting Blues exclusively:

125 Blue

1.16 OAL

8.0 gr of 3N38

1360 at 170 PF

115 Blue

8.8 gr of 3N38

1460 at 168 PF

With the 125s you're OK on the powder spilling out of the case - plenty of room.  With 115s at 8.8, its a pretty full case with a compressed load at 1.16.  Still, 3N38 was consistent for me in both loads, no case sep issues, not peaky, and no overpressure signs.  

The 115s are a little flatter than the 125s - both feel great and in my opinion as good as most high end 2011 open guns with popple holes.  I don't want to start a brawl so please just take this as one person's opinion.  The only 2011 I've shot that I would say is noticeably flatter is a SV 38 SC running 3N38 - very flat and great feel.

For optics, the CZ right out of the box runs a traditional C-more and the mount that came with the gun 100% with no case ejection issues.  I tried both the Cmore RTS2 and traditional Cmore - both were fine with the obvious better pick being the traditional Cmore.

I'm very impressed with what you get out of the box from CZ for the price - it comes with 2 barrels, a limited slide, a bunch of spare parts, thumb rests, etc.  

Everyone keeps asking me if I have broken a slide stop yet - I haven't.  I'm doing a little mythbusters and going to leave the original one in until it breaks - the gun has about 1500 rounds and nothing yet.

Go 'Murica

Tom

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the CZ and 9Major load Tom.

Interested in your decision process for selecting the powder.  Did you test any other powders or is this what was handy?  I'm currently performing load development with AA7, 3N38, WAC and the Lovex powder marketed my Shooters World as Major Pistol and for the moment tend to lean towards WAC.

WAC is the best as far as case fillage issues - youll have room to spare with any bullet - its just not as gassy.  It does burn clean and is consistent.

I haven't done extensive testing with AA7 but did send some AA7 loads from a buddy, who shall remain nameless, out of the CZ.  AA7 seems to be a good alternative and PF being equal, will leave you with more room in the case.  I will say that I think AA7 burns dirtier and leaves more residue - depending on your gun it may not be an issue.  The CZ is 100% reliable so far - I can't get it not to work.

I have no experience whatsoever with Lovex.

Joe - I have been using Fed SPP.  I bought some Fed SPP Magnum but honestly it didnt make much of a difference.  The velocity maybe went up 5 fps but it wasn't really significant.  I think all that 3N38 burns just fine with Fed SPP.

• 4 weeks later...

I run **Cough-Cough** CFE Pistol for 9 major.  Meters perfectly, just like WAC.  ( I had problems with WAC, inconsistent deviations between rounds) 7.2 grains behind a 124 Everglades JHP with #500 CCI primers.  1.167 oal.  I run it in a STI/Infinity hybrid gun with 3 popple holes.  171pf

Never thought of CFE pistol as a powder choice. I will check it out.

33 minutes ago, corny said:

I run **Cough-Cough** CFE Pistol for 9 major.  Meters perfectly, just like WAC.  ( I had problems with WAC, inconsistent deviations between rounds) 7.2 grains behind a 124 Everglades JHP with #500 CCI primers.  1.167 oal.  I run it in a STI/Infinity hybrid gun with 3 popple holes.  171pf

I was running CFE with 124gr PD bullets but have since switched to HS-6 with a 115gr PD bullet.  Experimented with AA#7 but didn't like the way it metered or how full the case was.  HS-6 puts off a nice amount of gas and the gun runs flat.  Shooting with 3 poppel holes in the barrel.

i have 2 1/8" poppel holes in my gun, stock chamber.  i'm running 7.9gr of hs6 under a 124 RN at 1.150 for a little over 170pf, and 115 RN with 8.4gr hs6 at 1.150.

i just got some Lovex/Shooters World to try out but havent had a chance to experiment yet.

• 1 year later...
On 3/29/2019 at 6:25 PM, Laxman2809 said:

Just recently purchased a Czechmate. What would you guys recommend as economical and cheap powder.

I know the VV stuff runs great. 9.3grns in my STI Open 38SC. However its just so pricy.

Shooters World Major Pistol is just over half the price of 3N38

5 hours ago, GraveyMaker said:

I thought running blue bullets would foul up the comp very quickly with major loads. Is this not true? I use those for my minor loads currently. 

my experience has been that all coated bullets are not created equal. running major with blue bullets I almost never clean the comp, no leading or gunk just regular carbon like with JHP, had such a good experience with them I thought I would try some HiTech coated bullets and they were a disaster, whatever the coating Blue uses is it is significantly more robust than some of the others

7 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Shooters World Major Pistol is just over half the price of 3N38

Yes, I read a lot of good things about this powder. I wish it was available in Canada 😞. At present I use 8.5gr of 3N38 loaded at 1.140 in my CM, and this gives me a consistent PF of 167 for IPSC. 

Edited by abb1

• 4 weeks later...

8.8 grains of SP2 behind a 124 grs FMJ, loaded at 29.3 OAL works perfectly in the CM

burner powder residues are sort of greasy, resulting in no real need to clean or lubricate the gun for up to 2k rounds. 

i love this powder. is so heavy and dense that case is less than 75% full and no spillage during reloading. 

• 3 weeks later...