Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pinned Grip Safety

Killenit

8 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

I prefer NOT pinned. Learn a consistent proper grip and you'll never have a problem. If you do, you know you don't have a proper grip and you can work on it.

unless your consistent proper grip is nice and high.... then it might not always activate the grip safety. It's a silly concept, and not part of the original design.

13 minutes ago, Dranoel said:

I prefer NOT pinned. Learn a consistent proper grip and you'll never have a problem. If you do, you know you don't have a proper grip and you can work on it.

Just curious why do you prefer it not pinned?

3 hours ago, JJB05 said:

Just curious why do you prefer it not pinned?

The reason most people pin it is because they have tried to force their grip up too high and the web of their hand pushes the grip safety the wrong way, thus preventing them from firing. Devastating in a match. Or they don't get a proper wrap and firm squeeze against it to deactivate it.

Many years ago I started using the grip safety as a tool to force myself to get a proper and consistent grip. Gun fires you did it right. Doesn't fire, you got it wrong, keep practicing. I have not had the grip safety hinder a shot for 25 yrs. Because the grip from the draw is correct every time. That came from practicing it. And practicing it. And Practicing it. And practicing it. And Practicing it. And practicing it. And Practicing it. And practicing it. And Practicing it. And practicing it. And Practicing it. And practicing it. And Practicing it.

(hint: That last bit is the part they hate.)

13 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Stop spreading vile, filthy lies.

There is no too high, as long as the hammer doesn’t make you bleed.

There IS too high. And if the web of your hand is high enough to push the beavertail up, it means it is not as tight as it could be on the back of the grip safety. Where is the recoil going to hit your hand? That point at the back of the grip safety your web is supposed to be tight against. Where is the pivot point for the muzzle flip? Same place.

A lot of things people do in the name of taming recoil isn't really doing anything but complicating how you deal with it. The more complicated it is, the more inconsistent you will be in controlling it. Inconsistent in control means inconsistent in hits. Keep it simple and use the tools you hate to make yourself a better shooter instead of depending on fancy gadgets to make up for your inconsistency.

DAMMIT!!!  I'm gonna write a thesis. Be back next week.

3 hours ago, Dranoel said:

Where is the pivot point for the muzzle flip? Same place.

Incorrect. It’s your wrist. If your grip is going it’s job, both hands and the gun are a nearly solid unit. Get your wrists (by getting your hands) as high on the gun as is ergonomicslly reasonable.

Watch your gun recoil in slow motion on video. Better yet, that of a winning shooter.

The wrist is not the contact point of the hand with the gun. The recoil force does not transfer from the gun to your wrist. It hits the web of your hand first. Yes. if you have a solid grip on the gun it won't move in your hand and if you put a wrist brace on both hands to keep it from bending the recoil will lift your arms from the elbow or the shoulder. The energy transfer is at the point of contact, your grip and stance determine how your body deals with the energy.

Going back to pinning....

I just use a small sliver of a shock buffer in between the MSH and the GS.  

During re-assembly I just place it on the top of the MSH as I slide it upward while holding the GS down.  I have found that this is the simplest and easiest to intall/remove.

MSH Pin.jpg

Edited by superslowmo

11 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Pin the MSH to keep the Grip Safety puhed forward

or

Cut the tab off that hits the trigger bar either works great and anybody who would buy the gun understands deactivated grip safety.

This,,, wel minus the pinning... An overly complicated bit of nonsense. If you want to deactivate the grip safety can be done in a few minutes by taking off the tab rather than adding holes and pins.

13 hours ago, Dranoel said:

There IS too high. And if the web of your hand is high enough to push the beavertail up, it means it is not as tight as it could be on the back of the grip safety. Where is the recoil going to hit your hand? That point at the back of the grip safety your web is supposed to be tight against. Where is the pivot point for the muzzle flip? Same place.

you are doing it wrong if that happens when you grip high. my hand makes good firm contact with the lower part of the grip (mainspring housing), but the shape of the grip and my hand means it often doesn't apply much pressure to the grip safety. the higher i grip, the less the gun moves around, and the faster and more accurately i can shoot (which is why I do it that way).

55 minutes ago, RePete said:

The point the presenter was making, was cutting the tab is non reversable, whereas pinning is.

but filing down the tab is easy to do with normal hand tools, and a grip safety is a cheap part to replace, and avoids modifying the frame. at least that was my thinking, since I don't own a drill press.

18 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

but filing down the tab is easy to do with normal hand tools, and a grip safety is a cheap part to replace, and avoids modifying the frame. at least that was my thinking, since I don't own a drill press.

The grip safety may be cheap, but the blending and refinishing of the frame isn't

Remember that there are no drop in parts for the 1911.

I have done several like the video,  no drill press needed, and takes about five minutes.  The only thing that I do different is i use a piece of wire instead of a roll pin, then drill depth is not as imperative cause i can simply cut the wire to fit.

IMHO simplest way is to glue with superglue two small tabs of polyurethane or other hard rubber/plastic to grip safety. it is easy to remove just in case amd you need no special tools. Cutting the small tabs to required size plus glue assures they will not  migrate into the grip.

IfXGOn9.jpg