Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZEV OZ9

RangerTrace

32 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You only have 6,000 rounds through them? Definitey shoot more, and type less. :D 

Most of the guys around here soured on STI because they won’t hold up longterm. Your guns are barely broken in. 5,000 rounds is just a few months of ownership for someone shooting competitively and practicing hard: 20-50k per year is not uncommon.

That is why STI fled this market, and began selling as Staccato to people who shoot less.

Ok.

Edited by Wormydog1724

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

OZ9 fired 2 rounds from one trigger squeeze. Doesn't happen consistently, but I also don't want it to happen at all. It's in the recall zone, but all the ZEV people want to do is replace the trigger and connector. Apex trigger parts was used, so it's probably the slide or frame that caused it. 

Anyone have a fix for this?

• 3 weeks later...

So where are we now in the waning days of 2020?  Is the ZEV worth buying for any reason at all?  

To me the Compact or X is the pistol to buy.  As I understand it, the Compact is a G19 format and can be used as a 19, 17 or 34 by swapping out the appropriate ZEV slide and barrel and grip shell.  Recoil spring assembly remains the same across the platforms but the spring itself may need to be changed.  I don't know if ZEV makes a G26 frame module but that might be a nice option as well.  

Some of this is marketing hype as I assume most people will configure the gun into one format and leave it as such.  Still, it might be nice to have the option to convert to something else later on down the road.  

Edited by Tokarev

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 7:08 PM, jtacp said:

OZ9 fired 2 rounds from one trigger squeeze. Doesn't happen consistently, but I also don't want it to happen at all. It's in the recall zone, but all the ZEV people want to do is replace the trigger and connector. Apex trigger parts was used, so it's probably the slide or frame that caused it. 

Anyone have a fix for this?

If there’s an open recall to fix your exact issue why not get it fixed?

6 hours ago, darrenbt said:

If there’s an open recall to fix your exact issue why not get it fixed?

Canada my dude, all Zev's willing to do for it was having a new trigger and connector sent. 

The comfortable grip is the only good quality to the zev. I honestly can't think of any other advantages to owning one of these things compared to a Glock. Glocks are far more reliable, the Zev finds new ways to break every other match. 

On 12/13/2020 at 1:05 AM, jtacp said:

Canada my dude, all Zev's willing to do for it was having a new trigger and connector sent. 

The comfortable grip is the only good quality to the zev. I honestly can't think of any other advantages to owning one of these things compared to a Glock. Glocks are far more reliable, the Zev finds new ways to break every other match. 

I'm in Canada as well and I think Blackbox is one of their Canadian retailers. I was just saying if the double shot trigger issue is your biggest problem and they have a free, factory revised connecter/trigger bar to fix it...

I've barely used my OZ9 but I agree the grip is awesome. I don't think I noticed a huge difference with the frame design vs a standard G17 but it seems to be super accurate. 

I have had my oz9 hypercomp for a couple months now and have about 1000 rounds through it so far. So far no issues caused by the gun. Had a few small issues but where ammo related. Just did my first deep clean on it and now we will see how well the next 1000 rounds go. But so far loving the hypercomp. It is a very flat shooting gun and very fun to shoot and happy with the purchase. 

What ejector did your guys OZ9 ship with?

I noticed my ZA033XX serial number came with a .40/.357 Sig ejector.

Havent shot it yet, but I threw in the 30724 ejector just incase.

GFk3x8il.jpg

Edited by tt350z

On 12/14/2020 at 3:42 PM, darrenbt said:

I'm in Canada as well and I think Blackbox is one of their Canadian retailers. I was just saying if the double shot trigger issue is your biggest problem and they have a free, factory revised connecter/trigger bar to fix it...

I've barely used my OZ9 but I agree the grip is awesome. I don't think I noticed a huge difference with the frame design vs a standard G17 but it seems to be super accurate. 

Trust me, the occasional unintentional triple tap is not nearly it's biggest problem. Random failures to eject and parts breakages are far worse on the clock. Millbrook was the distributor until they couldn't handle it anymore. He was handing out replacement barrels, triggers and slide stops left and right. 

Frankly, I don't believe its the trigger/connector, since the triple tap also happened on a full Apex trigger kit. The OZ9 might be an OK safe queen or occasional plinker, competition gun it is not. 

I bought an Apex extractor as well as a non-LCI SLB. During install, I noticed that you cannot depress the extractor plunger spring assembly w/ non-LCI. SLB down enough to slide on the back plate. I pulled out my other glock with stock internals to compare plungers and noticed the ZEV’s plunger is much longer. In fact, it’s even longer than the OEM plunger with the non-LCI SLB installed. My OZ9 actually ejects better than my gen 4 G19 when I was sighting them both in.

Stock LCI SLB on the right vs ZEV’s

Yeuqwjul.jpg

Stock with non-LCI SLB on the right vs Zev’s

ybllZD1l.jpg

What it looks like in the slide. LCI SLB on the left vs ZEV’s

Mfhumffl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

I think I should jump in and give you a good idea of what happened to the Zev OZ9 from start to where it's at right now, and that should clarify a lot of things and hopefully help you make a good decision or fix your current issues. 

I am a competitive shooter and i've been sponsored by Zev and shooting the OZ9's since the very beginning. In fact, I have the first batch that Zev ever produced, with all 3 of my guns serial number below 00100. I have over 130 000 rounds with the guns, so trust me, I've had probably all of the possible issues you could imagine or already had. Gun firing full auto or bursts, barrel lug sheared off, broken slide stop, broken slide post, failure to extract/eject, magazines (10 rounders) won't drop, etc etc. The good thing is, Zev have been very receptive and listened to the issues and fixed them very quickly. 

Here are the most common issues and fixes ;

- Gun firing auto/burst ; Zev Recall, they will replace your trigger bar/parts. It works very well, no issues anymore

- Extraction/Ejection issues ; Zev replaced the extractor for the new "enhanced extractor" with the new longer extractor plunger and spring. Look for the Zev // hashmarks on the new extractor. Also, I recommend you install a Glock Gen 4/5 Ejector (on the trigger housing)

- Barrel lug shearing off ; Zev have redesigned the barrel lug, new metal, new rifling. This one is in the mail and will have it next Wednesday and I can update you guys if interested. 

- Broken slide stop ; Zev are now making their slide stop in-house and the issue is fixed. I recommend you install a Glock Gen 3 slide stop if you have one. 

- Magazines won't drop ; Zev have replaced their magazine release for a new design that is narrower and will drop 10 round magazines no issues. 

Is this a pain in the ass ? Yes. Did Zev release the Zev OZ9 too early ? Probably. Did they work hard to fix all the issues ? f*#k yes. Remember that Sig had to recall all their P320 models because of the Firing Control Unit safety issues. It is not uncommon for a new firearm to face issues, the most important is that they do something about it, quickly. 

I have all the above fixes on my guns, all 3 of them, and I haven't had one malfunction in over 60 000 rounds. The most important thing for me as a traveling competition shooter and instructor is reliability, and I can say that now I can trust my guns to perform and function flawlessly regardless of what ammo I am shooting. 

This is my build for all 3 of my OZ9 for IPSC/USPSA Competitions ;

- Johnny Glocks Hybrid trigger w/flat shoe. (Reason for Johnny Glocks is I can adjust the reset to a very short one and glass break)

- Johnny Glocks Striker

- Johnny Glocks safety plunger

- Johnny Glocks safety plunger spring

- Johnny Glocks trigger return spring

- Johnny Glocks 4.5# striker spring (or Wolff)

- Zev ISMI 13# recoil spring

- Zev polymer red striker cups

- Zev polymer red channel liner

- Zev polymer red striker sleeve

- Zev polymer red extractor plunger pin

- Zev enhanced extractor

- Zev enhanced extractor plunger/spring

- Zev Optimized match barrel

- Zev Tungsten grip (coming soon, it is incredibly perfectly balanced, recoil is ridiculously flat)
- Gen 3 slide stop

- Gen 4 ejector

- Trijicon SRO 5 MOA

- #4-40 x 5/16 Torx plus flat head screws

- Glock 17 Gen 5 magazines

- Wolff +10% magazine spring

- Henning EDC PRO basepads

I hope this helps,

Max Latulippe

33 minutes ago, max1337 said:

Hi guys, 

I think I should jump in and give you a good idea of what happened to the Zev OZ9 from start to where it's at right now, and that should clarify a lot of things and hopefully help you make a good decision or fix your current issues. 

I am a competitive shooter and i've been sponsored by Zev and shooting the OZ9's since the very beginning. In fact, I have the first batch that Zev ever produced, with all 3 of my guns serial number below 00100. I have over 130 000 rounds with the guns, so trust me, I've had probably all of the possible issues you could imagine or already had. Gun firing full auto or bursts, barrel lug sheared off, broken slide stop, broken slide post, failure to extract/eject, magazines (10 rounders) won't drop, etc etc. The good thing is, Zev have been very receptive and listened to the issues and fixed them very quickly. 

- Gun firing auto/burst ; Zev Recall, they will replace your trigger bar/parts. It works very well, no issues anymore

- Extraction/Ejection issues ; Zev replaced the extractor for the new "enhanced extractor" with the new longer extractor plunger and spring. Look for the Zev // hashmarks on the new extractor. Also, I recommend you install a Glock Gen 4/5 Ejector (on the trigger housing)

- Barrel lug shearing off ; Zev have redesigned the barrel lug, new metal, new rifling. This one is in the mail and will have it next Wednesday and I can update you guys if interested. 

- Broken slide stop ; Zev are now making their slide stop in-house and the issue is fixed. I recommend you install a Glock Gen 3 slide stop if you have one. 

- Magazines won't drop ; Zev have replaced their magazine release for a new design that is narrower and will drop 10 round magazines no issues. 

Is this a pain in the ass ? Yes. Did Zev release the Zev OZ9 too early ? Probably. Did they work hard to fix all the issues ? f*#k yes. Remember that Sig had to recall all their P320 models because of the Firing Control Unit safety issues. It is not uncommon for a new firearm to face issues, the most important is that they do something about it, quickly. 

I have all the above fixes on my guns, all 3 of them, and I haven't had one malfunction in over 60 000 rounds. The most important thing for me as a traveling competition shooter and instructor is reliability, and I can say that now I can trust my guns to perform and function flawlessly regardless of what ammo I am shooting. 

- Johnny Glocks Hybrid trigger w/flat shoe. (Reason for Johnny Glocks is I can adjust the reset to a very short one and glass break)

- Johnny Glocks Striker

- Zev enhanced extractor

- Zev Tungsten grip (coming soon, it is incredibly perfectly balanced, recoil is ridiculously flat)
- Gen 3 slide stop

- Gen 4 ejector

- Trijicon SRO 5 MOA

I hope this helps,

Max Latulippe

thanks for the in-depth explanation and details. Great info. Super pumped to hear about a tungsten grip coming soon

13 hours ago, max1337 said:

Hi guys, 

- Johnny Glocks Striker

- Zev enhanced extractor

- Gen 3 slide stop

- Gen 4 ejector

- Trijicon SRO 5 MOA

I hope this helps,

Max Latulippe

I appreciate your honestly here.  But I'm surprised ZEV let's you run the non-ZEV parts in your guns since you are sponsored by them.  Usually that is a deal breaker for sponsors.  Or, if you do run other brand parts, you do it on the "down low".......

38 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I appreciate your honestly here.  But I'm surprised ZEV let's you run the non-ZEV parts in your guns since you are sponsored by them.  Usually that is a deal breaker for sponsors.  Or, if you do run other brand parts, you do it on the "down low".......

Most USPSA National Champions are sponsored and using custom fitted aftermarket parts such as barrels and triggers. The relationship you have with your sponsor and how you perform and present yourself is what matters. 

Edited by max1337

1 hour ago, max1337 said:

Most USPSA National Champions are sponsored and using custom fitted aftermarket parts such as barrels and triggers. The relationship you have with your sponsor and how you perform and present yourself is what matters. 

Sure, but ZEV specifically builds/sells trigger kits along with the OZ9 guns.  While I agree the Johnny Glock triggers are better, ZEV would probably want consumers to believe their triggers are the best, no?

Imagine being a ‘sponsored shooter’ and swapping all critical parts to different (better) products. I remember a very well known 3 gun shooter sponsored by Stag. The only thing Stag on his rifle was the lower receiver and handguard. Nearly everything else was JP. Lol. Only a few of us knew that, Stag didn’t know but honestly they might not have even cared since he was pretty damn good. 

So what do I gotta do to get my Zev OZ9 Compact fixed with all these new upgrades enhancements to make it reliable? Send it to Zev again? Third times the charm I guess!

I’ve owned it a year and because it’s been back to Zev twice and still finicky I don’t even want to shoot it anymore, and I’m damn sure not carrying it concealed which was my original intent. It has such a s#!tty reputation that I can’t sell it, even at a pretty big discount. But it LoOkS cOoL fOr tHe gRaM!

Great info Max!

Looking forward to the tungsten grip! Hopefully its no more than $250 or so.

First match and first stage with the OZ9, it did not want to extract with the Apex extractor. It worked at the range when I was zeroing, so I dunno what happened. I thew in the OEM hashmarked Zev extractor and the gun ran perfect the rest of the match.

I did install a DK trigger housing, firing pin safety plunger + spring, and LWD “-“ connector with Zev #2 striker spring. No light strikes with Fiocchi and Sellier & Belloit. Ghost extended mag release. These were all for personal preference.

Also dremeled off the finger hump and re-stippled that area. Due to hand size, my ring finger wanted the be where the bottom half of the hump was.

The rest of the internals are stock OZ9 parts, mines a later build (different SKB case, no DAKA pouch, etc), so it has all the red ZEV internal polymer parts.9yDAbyyl.jpgSXSkVK3l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

as noted earlier, i have the zev oz9 lower and then an aftermarket slide upper.  i have tried johnny glock and apex triggers and with both it's a long mushy takeup (i don't shoot the reset).  they actually worked pretty good on an 80% g17 lower so surprised at the mushyness.  any ideas as to a trigger or ancillary components i should try?

12 minutes ago, davsco said:

as noted earlier, i have the zev oz9 lower and then an aftermarket slide upper.  i have tried johnny glock and apex triggers and with both it's a long mushy takeup (i don't shoot the reset).  they actually worked pretty good on an 80% g17 lower so surprised at the mushyness.  any ideas as to a trigger or ancillary components i should try?

Timney trigger with the OEM firing pin spring and dot or unmarked connector.

On 1/30/2021 at 8:20 PM, tt350z said:

Timney trigger with the OEM firing pin spring and dot or unmarked connector.

forum member braxton1 was awesome enough to send me a few!!!

Edited by davsco