• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 3:43 PM, jpease said:

I've had several of my guns Pvd coated by Richter precision. Very durable 

They can do frames/receive pistols?  Considering slide and frame work on my 1911.

You people realize that nitriding is a heat treatment and that its purpose is to change the metallurgy of the steel?

Making stainless black is a side effect and even if the color wears away the metallurgical properties are unchanged.

On 4/4/2019 at 9:21 AM, elguapo said:

You people realize that nitriding is a heat treatment and that its purpose is to change the metallurgy of the steel?

That’s really not an accurate statement.  It’s a surface treatment which is not the same as a full heat treat. 

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

That’s really not an accurate statement.  It’s a surface treatment which is not the same as a full heat treat. 

It's a case hardening thermal treatment, if you really want to get technical.  So yes, it's still a heat treatment.  Just because it's not a through hardening (the term you were looking for) doesn't make it any less of a heat treat.

No one would ever question that austenitizing and quenching high carbon alloy steels is a heat treatment, even though all it does is produce a hard outer case and doesn't appreciable alter the core properties; same as nitriding.

Anyway the point is that the color that nitriding turns steel is irrelevant and doesn't affect the material properties even if it's been rubbed off despite what the internet experts would have you believe.

In case you were wondering, this is part of what I do for a living.

Edited by elguapo

Ok, that's fair.  Some internet experts are of the opinion that nitriding compromises the material and makes it unsafe.  That's simply not the case in this application (assuming it's done correctly).  As for cosmetics, the wear properties of the surface may be a concern for some people, even if the underlying metal isn't affected.  So that could be a factor in deciding whether to choose this finish.  

10 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Some internet experts are of the opinion that nitriding compromises the material and makes it unsafe.

That all depends on the pre-existing material properties, the cross sectional thickness where exposed to the N2 atmosphere, and the final case depth and hardness.  The problem with amateurs sending their stuff to be nitrided is that they know less than nothing about what they're asking a processor to do and have absolutely no idea of what they ended up with hardness wise.

Personally, I will not buy any firearm or firearm component that has been nitrided after it left the factory.  Who the hell who send their personal stuff to be nitrided even knows what AMS 2753 and 2759/6 are?

Nitriding is not a finish in the industrial sense of the word and the loss of the dark color is not evidence of "wear".

Like I said, I do this stuff for a living and my knowledge goes a little beyond what you can find on the internet.

Edited by elguapo

So nobody should send a gun out for nitriding?  The person sending the gun doesn't have to be an expert if the company doing the finishing is.  There are vendors who know very well what they're doing with firearms and components and do nitriding for both OEMs and aftermarket.

3 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

So nobody should send a gun out for nitriding?  The person sending the gun doesn't have to be an expert if the company doing the finishing is.  There are vendors who know very well what they're doing with firearms and components and do nitriding for both OEMs and aftermarket.

You do as you wish, I really don't care.  This isn't something I'm going to debate with amateurs.

19 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

My bad for feeding the troll.

Well, rhe information seemed useful for a while there, but those last comments kinda lost the audience.

Edited by teros135

49 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Well, rhe information seemed useful for a while there, but those last comments kinda lost the audience.

There was nothing useful in this thread since everything that had been said here prior was just flat out wrong.

I don’t know anything about the process, but I do know that I sent my slide to  Primary Machine for some slide work and had the nitride finish done. I’ve had it for about a year, thousands of  holster presentations, and about 7 thousand rounds through it and I can find no wear marks at all. So I can say it’s a pretty good treatments.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:35 PM, ltdmstr said:

My bad for feeding the troll.

Heh, Yeah I thought we were going to get some useful info there for a minute...

"Son" if it makes you feel any better, I didn't see it coming either 😉

• 4 weeks later...