Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik TP 9SFX

WarBoom

I have a TP9SFX that I used for carry optics that I’m giving to my bro in law to get him into the sport.

Does anyone know where I can find a tungsten guide rod? Or any kind of upgraded guide rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why ?...Mine works fine with 3/4 coils cut from the "stock" guide rod...If it's "felt recoil"?, .. go to a heavier bullet...i would'nt  think that little  weight reduction would be helpful???...but who knows?....

I use Glock 17 stainless guide rods from NDZ in mine. The gen 3 with the gen 4 adapter. I turned down the lip on the adapter a little bit, and it fits perfectly. I've been running 15lb springs, and a mix of factory ammo with no issues.

I've been thinking about trying tungsten, but not sure it was worth it over the stainless I'm already using. If I didn't already have them, then I probably would give one a shot.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:47 PM, WarBoom said:

I have a TP9SFX that I used for carry optics that I’m giving to my bro in law to get him into the sport.

Does anyone know where I can find a tungsten guide rod? Or any kind of upgraded guide rod?

Unrelated to your parts question, but I’m curious, how did that gun run for you? I’m considering buying one for my wife with a dot already on it to get her into the sport with me. Price is right, and I’ve read a ton of good on it, but I’m a firm believer in buy once, cry once, so I’ll gladly shell out for a Q5 if the TP9sfx doesn’t perform as advertised.

My TP9 SFX is wonderful.  The only problem that I had was that my reloads were to light for the stiff recoil spring so Century Arms sent me  a lighter spring for free. This gun shoots great and is more accurate than any gun that I have. I would buy this gun again in a heartbeat! My reloads were very light (only 930fps with 124gn bullet). When new it would shoot 115gn Winchester white box ammo with no problems.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx1961 said:

My TP9 SFX is wonderful.  The only problem that I had was that my reloads were to light for the stiff recoil spring so Century Arms sent me  a lighter spring for free. This gun shoots great and is more accurate than any gun that I have. I would buy this gun again in a heartbeat! My reloads were very light (only 930fps with 124gn bullet). When new it would shoot 115gn Winchester white box ammo with no problems.

Does that mean the guide rod can be taken apart to swap out springs?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 11:01 AM, mike NM said:

Why ?...Mine works fine with 3/4 coils cut from the "stock" guide rod...If it's "felt recoil"?, .. go to a heavier bullet...i would'nt  think that little  weight reduction would be helpful???...but who knows?....

Thanks. How did you cut the spring? Without take apart the guide rod and the spring? 

Edited by highhope

it's simple to take apart (detailed in Canik forum.com )...... Canik uses a thread locker on the nose of the recoil rod...use vice grip pliers, to push spring down so you don't over-heat it. on flat surface or bench vise , lock pliers to guide rod, heat cap and remove it,    ,  . Use the Glock in battery test for slide lock-up test..... I've said I think a Glock 14# recoil spring would be perfect  but none available that I know of. The Glock gen 3  13# recoil setup with gen 4 adaptor sleeve would not always return to full lock up for me..... I used a bench grinder to remove 3 or 4 coils (SEE glock battery reset test)

Edited by mike NM

18 hours ago, mike NM said:

it's simple to take apart (detailed in Canik forum.com )...... Canik uses a thread locker on the nose of the recoil rod...use vice grip pliers, to push spring down so you don't over-heat it. on flat surface or bench vise , lock pliers to guide rod, heat cap and remove it,    ,  . Use the Glock in battery test for slide lock-up test..... I've said I think a Glock 14# recoil spring would be perfect  but none available that I know of. The Glock gen 3  13# recoil setup with gen 4 adaptor sleeve would not always return to full lock up for me..... I used a bench grinder to remove 3 or 4 coils (SEE glock battery reset test)

thanks a lot! will try

I forgot to mention, I use a 6.5# Glock striker spring and the "cut" Canik set up (Glock spring cups also).Those little black devils go flying , so use the Caniks or the EZ to find Glock cups and orient them as per Glock instructions..... I have a few thousand rounds on this set up, Works 100%.... Just don't get too carried away when cutting the Canik spring..IT'S got to go back into battery when fired (NO AMMO) vertically (The Glock battery test) I don't use the Sprinco system anymore. The Caniks are VERY accurate... Just shot a USPSA  local match, that use a bear trap activator on a fast closing clam sell set up... i was my usual slow self and only had a small head shot left.... Had to laff at myself , got 1 A & 2 C's on the head "0" on the white guy. .... The match director asked me... How little do I have to make the head shot area to be less visible????... (Joking)..The Freedom Arms trigger is a good upgrade BUT be mindful (for me) I feel that It just moves the trigger action a bit more forward .... That said I have the Freedom trigger on both my Canik's ..150 Acme bullet x 130 PF works great. I'm playing with both N320 & Titgroup... Either work just fine. Try the heaver bullets if you reload.. Less felt recoil (Always a personal preference)...

Edited by mike NM

I forgot to mention, I use a 6.5# Glock striker spring and the "cut" Canik set up (Glock spring cups also).Those little black devils go flying , so use the Caniks or the EZ to find Glock cups and orient them as per Glock instructions..... I have a few thousand rounds on this set up, Works 100%.... Just don't get too carried away when cutting the Canik spring..IT'S got to go back into battery when fired (NO AMMO) vertically (The Glock battery test) I don't use the Sprinco system anymore. The Caniks are VERY accurate... Just shot a USPSA  local match, that use a bear trap activator on a fast closing clam sell set up... i was my usual slow self and only had a small head shot left.... Had to laff at myself , got 1 A & 2 C's on the head "0" on the white guy. .... The match director asked me... How little do I have to make the head shot area to be less visible????... (Joking)..The Freedom Arms trigger is a good upgrade BUT be mindful (for me) I feel that It just moves the trigger action a bit more forward .... That said I have the Freedom trigger on both my Canik's ..150 Acme bullet x 130 PF works great. I'm playing with both N320 & Titgroup... Either work just fine. Try the heaver bullets if you reload.. Less felt recoil (Always a personal preference)...

I just recently picked up a TP9SFX, and the only mods I’ve made after unboxing are to put a M&P SSS tungsten rod with 13# spring, M&P stock striker spring, and replaced the firing pin block spring.

The trigger group spring replacements dropped the pull from a consistent 5# to 3.5#. I’ll hopefully get to sight it in/wring it out when the weather up north at my favorite range settles down (on my days off).

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my SFx for a few months now.  

Freedomsmith fat trigger

Galloway Precision spring kit

That's all I've done to it.  Awesome trigger.  Runs like a violated ape.  Accurate as can be.

I love my SFx.  It's the best shooting poly 9mm I've ever owned/shot.

Forgot about this post sorry guys.

I ended up with adding a SS guide rod and flat trigger from Galloway

It already had the CZC plunger spring installed and a DPP mounted. 

Before I gave it to him it had 14k rounds thru it, it now has 19k+ with no malfunctions and is still deadly accurate. 

He added some Taran base pads with grams springs to hold 25r and does fairly well in carry optics. 

• 3 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:36 PM, WarBoom said:

Forgot about this post sorry guys.

I ended up with adding a SS guide rod and flat trigger from Galloway

It already had the CZC plunger spring installed and a DPP mounted. 

Before I gave it to him it had 14k rounds thru it, it now has 19k+ with no malfunctions and is still deadly accurate. 

He added some Taran base pads with grams springs to hold 25r and does fairly well in carry optics. 

Where did you get your SS guide rod?

For my TP9Sfx I use Taylor Freelance base pads and grams followers and Springs for CZ (FKC 11 I think) and I get 23 rounds in my magazines.

• 3 weeks later...

My current SFx setup:

Ghost 6.5lb Glock striker spring

Ghost reduced power Glock block plunger spring

Freedomsmith USA fat daddy trigger

JTGR-1 tungsten guide rod 

Lightly modded Glock Gen 4 adapter (keeps the JTGR-1 well centered)

Wolff 13lb Glock17 recoil spring  

Polished internals (trigger bar and block plunger are most of it but there are a few spots on the ejector block that need some polishing)

Canik’s new machined firing pin (no MIM pin)

Canik low profile extended slide release 

Taylor Freelance brass mag pads

Grams mag springs and followers (23+1)

tungsten backstrap mod

trigger guard undercut/edge radius

60 grit silicon carbide grip

Delta Point Pro 

Trigger breaks at about 2.1 lbs with just enough takeup for the trigger blade safety to clear the frame. 

On 2/18/2019 at 8:33 AM, Rosswoodford said:

Unrelated to your parts question, but I’m curious, how did that gun run for you? I’m considering buying one for my wife with a dot already on it to get her into the sport with me. Price is right, and I’ve read a ton of good on it, but I’m a firm believer in buy once, cry once, so I’ll gladly shell out for a Q5 if the TP9sfx doesn’t perform as advertised.

guy at the range shooting a Q 5 plastic lower, not the steel one, he was shooting at 20yds and i was down a few shooting 20yds also,  i offered him to try my Canik, he cried twice, he was there with a TP9 SFX the following week. he does shoot it better,  it will shoot every bit as good or better as the Q 5 and the Sig pro x 5 also. my Canik is not ammo fussy like my Shadow 2, they shoot close now since i put a scope on my shadow,

chet

• 9 months later...

I use tungsten guide rod from W74. They are made for the Canik TP9SFx. I have 2 of them. 1 in my practice gun and 1 in my match gun. You use commander 1911 springs. I have about 5,000 rounds on my practice gun since installed with no problems.