Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack nationals 9mm

f2benny

Two things

First

That match was still weighted pretty far in majors favor, the field courses were set up with many shooting options so standing reloads were rare, and there were only a few locations where having 10 rounds would get you out of a awkward reload. also all the new classifier stages major is a big advantage on with no capacity disadvantage.

Second

The top competitors in SS will most likely always run Major because they tend to get stuck with extra standing reloads due to misses less often that most and their reloads are very fast so eating a extra reload does not cost them as much, especially if they can do it during a movement. 

I  did not shoot nationals, but for some time shot quite a bit of single stack, both major and minor. I am only A class so take this for what it is worth.  I consistently shot better hit factors with major. Enough so that i sold my minor guns. Also while  i like the idea of 40 so i can use the same ammo as limited,  45 has cut some lines for me that i don't think 40 would have. So Imo 45 is the gamer round for single stack.  But I am sure there are plenty of people who will disagree with me

38 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Half the match was classifiers where capacity doesn't matter. I wonder if you threw those stages out and re-ran the results if anything would change.

additionally, strong/weak stuff is challenging for people to get alphas at speed, so minor scoring is a killer, just like it is with diagonal no-shoot/partials.

I'd say based on video I saw that for the average shooter, major/minor would be a wash. The better you get, and the fewer make-ups you have on steel while still being able to shoot quickly, and the quicker you reload, the better major looks. I've shot quite alot of both at major matches, and it's not much of a difference for me most of the time, but sometimes you run into a match or a stage where one or the other is a significant advantage.

2 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

additionally, strong/weak stuff is challenging for people to get alphas at speed, so minor scoring is a killer, just like it is with diagonal no-shoot/partials.

I'd say based on video I saw that for the average shooter, major/minor would be a wash. The better you get, and the fewer make-ups you have on steel while still being able to shoot quickly, and the quicker you reload, the better major looks. I've shot quite alot of both at major matches, and it's not much of a difference for me most of the time, but sometimes you run into a match or a stage where one or the other is a significant advantage.

Not just for nationals, but if you had to pick, which would you pick? 

Just now, MikeBurgess said:

Ideally bring both walk stages then decide and change registration as necessary. 

I get that, but say you could only afford one blaster type thing 

Just now, RJH said:

If I could only have 1 I would shoot minor, for me its just more fun and at the local matches I attend having 10 rounds is more of an advantage more often.

But the whole point of SS is justifying 2 guns 🙂

5 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Get a 40

Crap, that is the logical thing to do haha. I was really looking to see if overall people thought major or minor was an advantage.  And  i know that it is to a large degree match, and even stage dependant, and that many times overall it may even be a wash. But like i said  for me major is the way to go, so was looking to see if others had come to that conclusion or felt the opposite and only shot minor now.

If I were going to shoot SS it would be major.  I adore 1911 45s, but I would not shoot them in SS.  Brass is too expensive to leave on the ground.  I would shoot 40.  Processed brass is 3 cents each and I leave thousands of cases on the ground each season.  The other reason is flexibility.  With good ten round mags you can decide to shoot minor or major on a whim.  Same everything, except different ammo.  Plus it is a lot less expensive to load than 45.

Oh, and to answer you question, yes, major is a really big advantage when you are pressing it.

Edited by zzt

Last year I shot minor at a couple of bigger matches and came in lower than I normally do.

Ran the numbers with major and same hits would of put me up higher on the board.

I tend to split both guns the same, so when I press a stage  alpha charlie's don't hurt as much with major.

FWIW 

51 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

Last year I shot minor at a couple of bigger matches and came in lower than I normally do.

Ran the numbers with major and same hits would of put me up higher on the board.

I tend to split both guns the same, so when I press a stage  alpha charlie's don't hurt as much with major.

FWIW 

I don't think looking at results that way tells you as much as you think.  when I shoot Major or Minor I know what I'm shooting and will make some effort to adjust my shooting to the power factor, not the recoil but the scoring.  Like shooting Major at a partial I'm likely to go center of brown vs Minor I will aim closer to the available A because I know the scoring will reward each differently.  

Understand your thoughts.

But LoL

For Me major is an easier go in ss.

Even co vs open, I'm a major shooter do probably to 40 + years shooting major.

Just my way of shooting stages. 

From my perspective there is usually only one or two stages where 10 rounds helped. Then it only saved one reload that I could have done one the move anyhow.

In process of starting a new ss build and it's going to be a major gun.

Take it for what it is worth!

"Sawsech his own" as grandma used to say!!!!!!

3 hours ago, RJH said:

Thats why you  go with the 40,,,  1 gun and decide after you walk the stages... 
And yes their are 40 10 round non extended mags. ( well actually 10mm) or at least thatss what mine are. Believe chip mccormik. With a collapsable follower meant for the 38 Super mags, Springs needed replacing more frequently but they worked.

4 hours ago, RJH said:

Not just for nationals, but if you had to pick, which would you pick? 

good question. the most reliable, by far is .45 in my experience, but if you shoot 9mm you can shoot 25% more for the same cash outlay. In general, i prefer shooting 45, but there are so many situations at matches where 8 round major is highly disadvantaged that it takes some of the fun out of it unless there are alot of other guys in the division. With minor I can compare my scores directly to production. And it seems like some jackwagon is always doing an unloaded start with 8 round arrays which include mini-poppers, which can turn into a real goatrope even for a pretty good ss-major shooter. When even 1 single make-up shot means a standing reload, it's difficult to shoot aggressively.

I personally think 40 minor is stupid. Lots of people claim it works, but pretty much everyone will eventually admit that 10 round 40 mags are not as reliable as they would like. I also think deciding after you walk the stages is stupid, but maybe i'm old and it takes me a day or so of practice to really adjust my grip and eyes to the timing of a gun.

I personally have showed up to major matches having made EXACTLY the wrong choice in major/minor, and I still ended up where I normally do.... so I just don't worry about it too much. If i had to choose one, and I also shot steel challenge, I would go with 9mm.  But I don't have to choose 1. I have a job, so I can buy as money guns as I want. woot woot!

Edited by motosapiens

19 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Thats why you  go with the 40,,,  1 gun and decide after you walk the stages... 
And yes their are 40 10 round non extended mags. ( well actually 10mm) or at least thatss what mine are. Believe chip mccormik. With a collapsable follower meant for the 38 Super mags, Springs needed replacing more frequently but they worked.

Right, check my reply to waktasz above, it kinda clarifies what I was getting at

5 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

good question. the most reliable, by far is .45 in my experience, but if you shoot 9mm you can shoot 25% more for the same cash outlay. In general, i prefer shooting 45, but there are so many situations at matches where 8 round major is highly disadvantaged that it takes some of the fun out of it unless there are alot of other guys in the division. With minor I can compare my scores directly to production. And it seems like some jackwagon is always doing an unloaded start with 8 round arrays which include mini-poppers, which can turn into a real goatrope even for a pretty good ss-major shooter. When even 1 single make-up shot means a standing reload, it's difficult to shoot aggressively.

I personally think 40 minor is stupid. Lots of people claim it works, but pretty much everyone will eventually admit that 10 round 40 mags are not as reliable as they would like. I also think deciding after you walk the stages is stupid, but maybe i'm old and it takes me a day or so of practice to really adjust my grip and eyes to the timing of a gun.

I personally have showed up to major matches having made EXACTLY the wrong choice in major/minor, and I still ended up where I normally do.... so I just don't worry about it too much. If i had to choose one, and I also shot steel challenge, I would go with 9mm.  But I don't have to choose 1. I have a job, so I can buy as money guns as I want. woot woot!

👍

I wonder if the possibility of shooting multiple guns in multiple matches over the 9 days didn't influence some of the decision to shoot SS with minor?

The logistics of shooting 9mm in several Divisions, especially with long travel distances, it would be simpler.  

? With a choice of Production or SS, CO, Revolver?  Would have thought it'd been more likely to do Production though. Probably not though unless there was a corresponding uptick in Limited Minor?  

I have shot the same match with major minor limited. Major wins every time. Interestingly production pcc on big field courses it's a wash. I will be testing both a 9 and 40 for SS. I am shooting a 9mm right now while building a 40. I am going to switch guns as matches dictate. So many seem to favor the 10rd gun.