Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF 100 vs. Mr. Bullet Feeder?

reverse_edge

Great minds of Enos, please confirm my thinking for me. For reference, I load 9mm only on a XL650 with casefeeder. I would like to upgrade to a 1050 at some point in the foreseeable future. 

On the surface, The MBF seems nice and comes well recommended, but after thinking about it a bit I've realized that I can place a bullet with my fingers just as fast as I can pull the lever. Can you pull the lever THAT MUCH FASTER with a MBF? 

On the other hand, the time spent picking primers out of a flip tray is time spent not cranking out rounds. Enter the RF 100. I've tried the vibra prime, and the whole thing just seems clumsy to me, and mine doesn't even work all that great. Even if it did work flawlessly, it still only minimizes the time spent loading primer tubes, which is still a separate task from loading rounds. 

The RF100, as best I can tell, is going to be the most efficient use of time (short of a fully automated press) by filling the primer tubes WHILE you're cranking out rounds.

What say you all?  

Do the MBF first for sure. Then a RF 100 when funds allow.

The MBF will allow you to increase production for sure. It takes a good amount of time for you to manually place a bullet on the case. It might not seem like it but when you cycle the press 1000+ times in an hour, it adds up.

MBF.....you’ll find it as vital as your Casefeeder.

i procrastinated on the RF-100 for years..finally received one for Xmas .....once again ..why did I wait so long??

a Little adjustment and some valuable Enos tips , it runs like a clock....anyone need 12 primer tubes?

Just do it!!

Personally I think you are on the right track, rf100 will decrease your tol significantly. (Time on loader)

I'm loading pistol ammo close to 1k per hour on a 650 with a rf and without a bullet feeder...

Clean brass, lube, one pass on the loader, tumble to remove lube. 

Edited by RiggerJJ

Maybe it's just me but I think the RF100 is overpriced. Using a FA Vibra Prime ($50) it takes me about 15 seconds to load 100 primers into a Dillon primer pickup tube. I preload 10 tubes and I'm ready for my reloading session. Apparently a lot of people think the Vibra Prime is a piece of junk (maybe it is???) but I must have lucked out because for the most part mine runs well. I will admit to keeping the Dillon primer rod close by; that way if a primer gets stuck I just slide out the Dillon tube and poke the stuck primer with the plastic rod sending it back to the flip tray section. Maybe I've had better luck then most because I use the Dillon tubes? Who knows....

Edited by 4n2t0

On 1/19/2019 at 2:58 PM, 4n2t0 said:

Maybe it's just me but I think the RF100 is overpriced. Using a FA Vibra Prime ($50) it takes me about 15 seconds to load 100 primers into a Dillon primer pickup tube. I preload 10 tubes and I'm ready for my reloading session. Apparently a lot of people think the Vibra Prime is a piece of junk (maybe it is???) but I must have lucked out because for the most part mine runs well. I will admit to keeping the Dillon primer rod close by; that way if a primer gets stuck I just slide out the Dillon tube and poke the stuck primer with the plastic rod sending it back to the flip tray section. Maybe I've had better luck then most because I use the Dillon tubes? Who knows....

The Vibra Primes are pretty famously hit or miss, from what I can tell. Some people swear they work perfect out of the box, others tweak them to function, and then some such as myself don't see the benefit to messing around. In my opinion its just as easy (if not easier) to pick a whole brick of primers manually than to play around with the stupid thing. 

If the RF100 works, I just have to dump some primers in and that's it. My hands are free to do other things. If it doesn't - That's another story.

1 hour ago, reverse_edge said:

If the RF100 works, I just have to dump some primers in and that's it. My hands are free to do other things. If it doesn't - That's another story.

The RF100's are also famously hit or miss but at 8 times the cost of a Vibra Prime. At the end of the day it's your money so I say you should get both the MBF and RF100. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

The PAL filler is awesome.  100% reliable and no upside down primers like the RF100.  With the RF I had about 5-10% upside down primers and tried everything I could to get it to work properly.  I was a huge waste of time and effort.  Couldn't be happier with the PAL.  If they were still avail I'd probably buy another just to have a spare.  

RF-100 has been 100% reliable for me, vibra prime not so much....As with everything in life you get what you pay for...

Is the RF-100 overpriced? For sure, but it works unattended while I do something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro