Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF 100 vs. Mr. Bullet Feeder?

reverse_edge

Both are great, if I had to choose only one I would probably go with the RF-100 they take a little adjusting here and there to get to 100% but once you have it set up and running right you can load while it does the primers, but I really hate picking up primers I do love the MBF and have one on my 1050 and have also adapted my LNL to use the MBF dropper because it works so good.

The RF works, IF you have the patience to set it up. If it drops upside down primers you haven't taken the time to set it up. It HAS to be plumb or slightly leaning forward. It the adjustment is too far clockwise moving the primers faster, you WILL get upside down primers cause they flip before dropping. Once the primer is in the tube it cannot flip. Another major cause for upside down primers is not the RF at all, but the RF gets blamed for it. (on a 650) it's having the shell plate loose and they flip when the wheel turns under the shell plate.

Upside to the RF is that while primers are being loaded into the tube you can be pulling the handle on your loader.

Downside to the pal and vibraprime is you have to spend the time to load tubes, same as pecking at a primer tray.

RF for me all the way. I do both large and small primers on mine with none upside down, and no time used pecking at primers or loading tubes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 8:30 AM, garlar4 said:

So just my .02 worth. I would buy the mbf and a frankford arsenal vista prime and call it a day. Pick up the Rf100 latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep. I agree. The fa primer tool fills a tube in about 20 seconds for me. Never had an issue in 50,000+ primers through it. 

Not knocking anyone at all here but for me - I'll never understand why so many think that these precious few seconds are worth the cost of these tools.

Cost Benefit Analysis doesn't show it to be a value (to me) - but then CBA can't factor in how cool it is to just watch the machines work.

Thus, I also picked up a Vibra-Prime for $20 from a guy that was pissed off at it - tinkered and made it work great for me - lol.

The time to fill a standard pickup tube the old way is 90 seconds - I do a vibraprime fill in 40 seconds on my worst day and like others I fill several tubes before I start.

While loading bullets by hand, I pull the handle on my 650 at a rate of 17 per minute = 1020 per hour / not counting reloading primers, bullets, brass that MBF and RF100 guys are doing also.

As noted by others, the RF100 seems to load a small percentage upside down (causing a loss of time later) where I have NEVER had that happen with a vibra-prime.

I HAVE TO ASK - for those that think the MBF saves so much time - just what are you doing with your left hand while pulling the handle ?

Without an ammobot or Mark7 you are not even loading the RF100 with new primers without stopping the handle pull.

And yes, I do really time these things - cost benefit analysis is one of my joys in life - lol - and helps to get me through the monotony of making bullets.

The payoff comes for those that are shooting way more than my 20-25k per year.  Once you hit that 40-50k per year mark, then an ammobot WITH the MBR makes sense.

For me, the value of the MBF is in fatigue reduction.  Before getting the MBF for my 650, I would start getting fatigued at around 800 rounds.  Since I was shooting 1k rounds per week, I would either push through the fatigue, load twice a week, or shoot less if I didn't have the time for the second session.  With the MBF, I could get through 1200 rounds loaded with no issues at all (I have 12 primer tubes) , and I could direct more attention to verifying the powder charge and ensuring the brass fed properly into station 1.  With 1200 rounds loaded per session, I either load less often, or shoot more.

This is one thing I’m really not looking forward to with the upgrade to the Dillion. I gotta pay another 300 bucks to efficiently fill primer tubes. I’d say this is the one area where lee excels. Just dump the tray of primers, shake for a few seconds and you’re done. Oh well, atleast every other aspect of a 1050 will be better then my loadmaster.