Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha Bullet Feeder Price

On 1/17/2019 at 9:52 AM, Overscore said:

I am well aware that if I were to add a bullet feeder to my 650, my quality of life would be improved, and as someone who doesn't respect money enough, it's rare that I care about the cost of things when it comes to quality of life improvements.  But, for some reason, I just cannot bring myself to get a AA bullet feeder.  I'm fine with spending as much money as something costs, as long as that cost seems in line with what I'd expect the price of something to be.  Am I crazy, or is that bullet feeder priced much higher than it should be?  I can't help but compare it to Dillon's case feeder, which IIRC, I paid about $250 for.  I realize it's not the same, but it's at least similar.

I don't mean this as a complaint about the price, but rather looking for someone to tell me that my feeling that the price isn't justified is simply incorrect.  I want to believe it's justified so I can experience that quality of life.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:23 AM, Sarge said:

The MBF is way overpriced but worth every penny.😂

On 1/17/2019 at 6:52 PM, Jfitz427 said:

You’re not the only one. 500 bucks for that small thing. Give me a break. I’m 100% still going to buy one when I get a 1050 in the coming months, as it seems to be the only trouble free one on the market. but I’ve always though they were way over priced for what it is. You can almost buy a whole other 650 for that price. And there’s a lot more that goes into a 650 then that little bullet feeder. Honestly the mini is priced right, 150 bucks. But to jump up to 500-600 for the real collator. 

I’ve been looking at the RCBS for 300, or the Hornsby for 240. 300 seems more like what it should cost. But hey the market sets prices and people are willing to pay 500-600. It was even more outrageous with the old KISS which looked like it was made in some dudes basement with PVC pipes. Atleast this one doesn’t look like a kids science project. 

If you want a good alternative to the MBF then go onto Facebook and look of Karl Bibb Reloading stuff for sale. He makes his own 3d printed MBF and it works very well. There are many happy customers in his group, that he does not pay to hang out in there. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Laxman2809 said:

If you want a good alternative to the MBF then go onto Facebook and look of Karl Bibb Reloading stuff for sale. He makes his own 3d printed MBF and it works very well. There are many happy customers in his group, that he does not pay to hang out in there. 

I have an MBF already 

7 hours ago, Laxman2809 said:

I just did, and I’m in. Gonna buy 2 of them as soon as he gets them back in stock. 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

OOPS, you can keep it.    "Pretty reliably"  is kind of like "Nice Try"  to

a guy with ten left thumbs.     

Not sure I like the sound of “pretty reliable”. I think I’m still going to buy a Mr  bullet feeder for my new 1050, an I’ll buy one of these for my loadmaster. 

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I would get another MBF. No need to experiment with something else.

I’m gonna give this thing a shot. At just over 1/3rd the price of a MBF, it’s worth a try, since the reviews are good.  Gonna put it on my loadmaster. But for the 1050 I’m about to buy, I’m gonna get the real deal mbf. 

The cost of an item isn't always an indication of the complexity of the device or the processes or materials required to make it.  Demand, available alternatives, original development cost recovery, size of the market all play into pricing.  Think about drugs.  Something that cost pennies may sell for several hundred dollars a pill.  Coffee from Starbucks also comes to mind.  One thing is for sure.  if the market is large enough for multiple suppliers competition will ultimately drive down the price to its lowest possible sustainable level. 

37 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

I’m surprised double alpha isn’t all over that for copyright infringement. It’s almost a direct rip off of MBF. 

Ive never looked at MBF until now, yeah its very close. I dont know much about copyright laws, but Im guessing if its not for sale maybe its technically not infringenent? Actually its only a 3d drawing of it. You have to make it yourself. 

I thought the mbf was over priced also. Didn’t think I would ever get one but took a chance on the cheaper mini mbf and worked great. Sold it to a buddy and went all in on a mbf. It’s not cheap but man is it worth it. Love that thing. When I sold my 650 to move up to 1050 2 months ago I bought a brand new one with the press. Combo deal from local dealer at great price 2k for new 1050 and mbf. I will say the upgraded mounting bracket is nicer and I think they may have changed the design a little. Size of the mbf I mean. I set it up to how I had it on my 650 and it was off had to readjust differently for the same bullet I was using on the 650. I took pics of old mbf before I sold it to set the new one up and you can tell in pics the bee mbf is different it’s actually a little bigger than the old one. Go figure I just got a little more room for bullets in the bowl 😂 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:36 AM, Ocrrhbow said:

The cost of an item isn't always an indication of the complexity of the device or the processes or materials required to make it.  Demand, available alternatives, original development cost recovery, size of the market all play into pricing.  Think about drugs.  Something that cost pennies may sell for several hundred dollars a pill.  Coffee from Starbucks also comes to mind.  One thing is for sure.  if the market is large enough for multiple suppliers competition will ultimately drive down the price to its lowest possible sustainable level. 

Yes, I completely agree and understand.  The economics just seemed out of alignment for MBF.  But, I've also not held it in my hands, so when I get one, I'll probably see what I currently cannot.

MBF is not cheap, but I am so glad I bought it for my 650. I dedicate that 650 to 9mm, so I don't have to mess with caliber changes. It took a little tweaking to find the happy medium with the variety of bullet profiles I load (TC, FP, RN, JHP, etc). The tuning is not hard at all. It's a stupid simple operating principle. I still very occasionally get an upside down bullet with  1 certain bullet profile I load often (Truncated Cone) - but I'm talking maybe 1 out of 100. I think it's due to the shake in MBF when the press is really rolling. I wish someone made a stand-alone mount/stand for the MBF instead of the piggyback onto the Casefeeder.