Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Alpha Bullet Feeder Price

I am well aware that if I were to add a bullet feeder to my 650, my quality of life would be improved, and as someone who doesn't respect money enough, it's rare that I care about the cost of things when it comes to quality of life improvements.  But, for some reason, I just cannot bring myself to get a AA bullet feeder.  I'm fine with spending as much money as something costs, as long as that cost seems in line with what I'd expect the price of something to be.  Am I crazy, or is that bullet feeder priced much higher than it should be?  I can't help but compare it to Dillon's case feeder, which IIRC, I paid about $250 for.  I realize it's not the same, but it's at least similar.

I don't mean this as a complaint about the price, but rather looking for someone to tell me that my feeling that the price isn't justified is simply incorrect.  I want to believe it's justified so I can experience that quality of life.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy it. The day I added one to my 650 I remember thinking that this is the way is reloading is supposed to be. No regrets. At all. I am sure those that have automated with a Mark 7 have had similar moments. 

Reloadin a lot of ammo frankly sucks and the MBF definitely eases the pain 

They are pricy. Nearly 2x Hornady's, but in my research it is a superior unit. Without competition the price is theirs to set.

After BF '17 and kicking myself for not buying I decided if they went on sale at all in '18 I'd get one. I did, really no complaints. I am pretty cheap, and this was, to me, a big totally unnecessary expenditure, but I'm glad I made it. Faster, easier loading.

I will add if you change bullets/calibers often or only load 100 in a session or something like that then it probably isn't worth it. I like to sit down and roll out 600-1000 in a session and rarely change anything.

On 1/17/2019 at 1:56 PM, Overscore said:

Am I seeing this right, that to get set up loading with one caliber, it's about $470, but each additional caliber needs a $245 conversion kit?  So, if I want to get set up with the four calibers I load, it's $470 + $245 + $245 + $245?  Granted, I probably wouldn't use a bullet feeder for .308 (nor a progressive press for that matter), but just making sure I'm parsing the info correctly here.

Actually just checked and conversion kits are only $150 at Shooters Connection.

Make sure to register as a forum member for the enos discount.

Edited by Sarge

Even if you were to go with one of the various cheaper 3-D printed models from what I have seen they all seem to rely to some degree on DAA parts or a lot of DIY ingenuity.  So if you are switching multiple calibers I'm not sure how much your really saving overall.  You could also wait to find a used one or like Beef said wait for a Black Friday sale.

You’re not the only one. 500 bucks for that small thing. Give me a break. I’m 100% still going to buy one when I get a 1050 in the coming months, as it seems to be the only trouble free one on the market. but I’ve always though they were way over priced for what it is. You can almost buy a whole other 650 for that price. And there’s a lot more that goes into a 650 then that little bullet feeder. Honestly the mini is priced right, 150 bucks. But to jump up to 500-600 for the real collator. 

I’ve been looking at the RCBS for 300, or the Hornsby for 240. 300 seems more like what it should cost. But hey the market sets prices and people are willing to pay 500-600. It was even more outrageous with the old KISS which looked like it was made in some dudes basement with PVC pipes. Atleast this one doesn’t look like a kids science project. 

I balked a little at the price, but like Sarge said:

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

The MBF is way overpriced but worth every penny.😂

There's a member here that crafted one of his own.  I don't recall who it is or which thread it's in, but it looks awesome!  Unfortunately, I don't know if it's something he plans to bring to market and if he did, what the cost would be, but competition is good.

I'll see if I can find it.

Found the thread here:

Looks like he took the video down, but here's a photo.  It really looked kick ass in the video;

image.png.423d630f0dc7d5b8c72b7d1d495d7d3a.png

Edited by clw42

9 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Are they usually trouble free ?

If I'm loading only 124 gr PD JHP's, will they have a problem with them ?

After setting it up for the first time and watching the videos, I haven't had an issue.

I've loaded 124gr FMJ round and Flat point (thousand of each), 124gr JHP(another couple of thousand), and I've got 115 JHP's on deck.

I've also loaded 55gr .223 as well as 62gr .223 - about a thousand of each of these as well.

All without issue once the feeder is set correctly for the bullets being fed.

Edited by clw42

I have not regretted the purchase.  Totally frees me up to watch the rest of the press while maintaining a very consistent loading pace.  Even with the occasional snag (crimped primer pocket, case feed issue), I'm still running 800-1,200/rph.  I slow down a little for Major Loads, so I don't spill powder all over the place.

5 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Is that very time consuming or complex ?

I didn't think so.  Watch the video on DAA's website.  I don't even think I read the instructions.  He addresses pretty much everything in the videos.  Get the mounting angle right, which seems much easier with the newer mounting system.  Get the feed tube length/slack right.  Get the dropper set correctly (basically, run a case up the die and adjust until  you consistently get a single bullet to drop).  Get the feeding mechanism (motorized spinny thingy where you dump your bullets) set up to invert flipped bullets (really not hard at all).

Since you're loading one type of bullet and seemingly won't change...piece of cake.  Set it once and go.

Edited by clw42

I built my own because I thought they were to expensive as well,   I improved it several times to it's current set up and it runs perfect I wish I had a better video of it but it gets crappy loading it into youtube. 

I have allot of R&D invested into this as I got a little obsessed with making it perfect.  mine is much simpler then the mbf as it doesn't flip the bullets which is the big head ache setting them up.   this is not a 3d printable feeder it was made on a cnc router out of uhmw  has a aluminum welded support bracket that just simply bolts to the machine using the factory holes just longer bolts.   Proximity switch turns it on / off, has a modified mr bullet feeder die will do all calibers buy a simple change of the plate.   

here is the video

Edited by XL6504ME

Yup. Expensive. But worth it. I had some small issues with the dropper running 55gr 223. I had a lot of dropper problems running Hi tek Coated .308 bullets for 300blk subs. 9 and 40 fed great from the start. It’s very reliable, especially once you understand how it all works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's always been my problem.     :eatdrink:

If you’re just running one bullet type. Once it’s set, it works forever. I’ve never had to adjust it, thousands and thousands.

That being said, my usual .40 bullet is 180 gr. I’ve tried to dial it in using 140gr for a minor load. I can’t get it to work, it jams up spectacularly and/or flipped bullets. It’s kind of an odd bullet though, being short and fat..

10 minutes ago, cvincent said:

If you’re just running one bullet type. Once it’s set, it works forever. I’ve never had to adjust it, thousands and thousands.

That being said, my usual .40 bullet is 180 gr. I’ve tried to dial it in using 140gr for a minor load. I can’t get it to work, it jams up spectacularly and/or flipped bullets. It’s kind of an odd bullet though, being short and fat..

Yep. I mounted mine on a pole so I can slide it down to the bench and watch it run when it needs troubleshooting. I changed from Montana Golds to PD's and had tons of upside down bullets. Had to move the cardboard thingies just a smidge because of the wider nose of the PD's.

I have a Hornady bullet feeder and a Mr Bulletfeeder.  Mr Bulletfeeder is the way to go.  Costs more, but the quality  and trouble free operation is worth it.  Watch the videos on how to adjust it and your in business!  The best thing I learned (on this forum) is to adjust the die with cases in all the stations (I run a 1050).