Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning after loading

Chillywig

I like shiny brass. I hear it makes you a better shooter and fantastic in the sack! LOL 

Seriously I like to run my loaded ammo in a dry type tumbler to get lube off and make sure it is relativity clean to keep gunk out of the shock bottle case gauge. I remember reading somewhere to use a specific type or size corn cob that would not get stuck in the HP of the Montana Gold 124 JHP's. What is your secret recipes?

23 minutes ago, Postal Bob said:
if you're loading 9mm, why are you lubing in the first place? I know it makes it size easier, but in my Dillion 650, I don't notice the resistance in the sizing anyway. Skip the lube, and avoid the problems afterwards.

I’m gonna have to strongly disagree with you on that one. The whole thing just runs so much smoother when you have lubed cases. I tried to run my 9mm without lube for a few hundred rounds and the issue I had is that I couldn’t tell when something else was wrong with the press when I’m exerting all this force to resize a case. It’s easier to catch a jam, bad case, or bad primer seat when the whole press is running smoothly.

Maybe it’s different with a 650, but on my 1050 I’m cranking out 800-900 rounds per hour, and any extra energy wasted on sizing adds up quick. Residual case lube on pistol brass isn’t supposed to be a big deal anyway, but I do the same of running my loaded rounds in some corncob for about 10-15 minutes after. Gives everything a nice polish and definitely helps keep my hundo cleaner.

Edited by tacomandood

26 minutes ago, Postal Bob said:

if you're loading 9mm, why are you lubing in the first place? I know it makes it size easier, but in my Dillion 650, I don't notice the resistance in the sizing anyway. Skip the lube, and avoid the problems afterwards.

^^This.^^  But I'm coming from 550 experience, not 1050.

If somebody wants shiny brass, that's cool, some people like me just want quality ammo with fewer steps involved.  If you dry tumble your brass to prep try just a little mineral oil in walnut media.  It will give the cases a shiny luster, if that's one of your goals, and actually protect them somewhat against tarnish if you were to store it for a while.  It also has a very fine layer on the cases which aid in sizing similar to lube....without the lube.  If you do try it use just a little, like a cap full, and let it tumble in the walnut for a good 10 minutes by itself prior to adding brass or you'll have clumps.  I suppose you could also do this afterward with your loaded ammo to get that brass super shiny & clean.

I have tried both and 9mm with a little lube does run smoother and that only seemed to matter when loading a few thousand at a time. Not sure if having to dry tumble them afterward is really worth it though. I like removing unnecessary steps. 

On 1/9/2019 at 12:25 PM, Postal Bob said:

if you're loading 9mm, why are you lubing in the first place? I know it makes it size easier, but in my Dillion 650, I don't notice the resistance in the sizing anyway.

A lot of us run a U-die which resizes an additional couple of thousandths. With that die you’re talking HALF the effort required to cycle the handle when lubed with one shot.

Us One Shot or Bass Juice’s case lube and don’t tumble it after you load. Don’t be OCD. You dannot feel the lube anyway, whereas a lanolin type lube like Dillon’s left your loaded ammo all tacky. Problem solved. :D 

On 1/8/2019 at 10:34 PM, Chillywig said:

remember reading somewhere to use a specific type or size corn cob that would not get stuck in the HP of the Montana Gold 124 JHP's. What is your secret recipes?

Go to Petco and get some crushed walnut for a trial; they sell it as lizard bedding.

The grains are much smaller, more like coarse sand than small gavel, like corn cob.

Walnut cleans faster but doesn’t polish as highly. It’s way too small to get a piece jammed into a hollowpoint or primer flash hole.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Here is the best deal out there on cob and it's the size you need, pretty fine. Get two 40lb bags and it's free shipping. 

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-blast-media-corn-cob-20-to-40-grit-crn3-40/i/G2165387/

I have been using it awhile, and 80 lbs will last me a long while yet. It works great and is moderate on dust. 

If you're going to lube, then use Hornady One Shot, and don't bother cleaning it off after. I used to do that when I first started reloading on a single stage press. Take a gallon size zip lock bag, dump in a bunch of brass, and give a few sprays of the One shot. Close the bag, and shake/mix it to evenly distribute the lube. Only takes a little on the case to make things smoother, and you do not have to clean it off. I never did, and never had a problem.

4 hours ago, Postal Bob said:

If you're going to lube, then use Hornady One Shot, and don't bother cleaning it off after. 

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I dump hundreds of cases onto a bath towel after cleaning.  I spray them lightly, bunch up the either end of the towel in each hand, pick it up with my cases suspended in a giant bath towel pouch, and tumble them around like I'm polishing a bowling ball or milking a giant cow.  This will distribute the lube around the cases.  Then you let the liquid evaporate off overnight, and you are left with dry-lubed cases.  And the residual dry lube won't interact with your powder.

Easiest thing in the world, and no post-cleaning necessary.  ;)

On 1/9/2019 at 1:25 PM, Postal Bob said:

On 1/10/2019 at 7:57 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

A lot of us run a U-die which resizes an additional couple of thousandths. With that die you’re talking HALF the effort required to cycle the handle when lubed with one shot.

Us One Shot or Bass Juice’s case lube and don’t tumble it after you load. Don’t be OCD. You dannot feel the lube anyway, whereas a lanolin type lube like Dillon’s left your loaded ammo all tacky. Problem solved. :D 

I feel no difference whatsoever between the two sizing dies and that's without any lube at all.

Edited by 4n2t0

I have never tumbled loaded rounds.

I use a dry tumbler and corn cob media. It will wear out to the point it just won't do the job anymore. That's when you need a new batch or media.

Mineral spirits will help, but use that trick towards the end of the media's life cycle.

One thing I learned is since it is a consumable, put as much brass in the tumbler as it will hold. The media will wear out whether there's 1 pound or ten. So get your moneys' worth.

Also to keep the press running smoothly clean the dies.

10 minutes ago, Aric said:

After I fill up my case feeder, I spray a little one shot.  The case feeder seems to get the one shot on them as it’s working.  

A buddy of mine used to do that until the one shot ignited once. Mini flash fire that came and went in the blink of an eye. He quit doing it.😂

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

A buddy of mine used to do that until the one shot ignited once. Mini flash fire that came and went in the blink of an eye. He quit doing it.😂

How did the fire start?