Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated bullets for open major pf?

vgdvc

40 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Even better if you spray your comp each time before you shoot them, and then fire some JHP's

thru the gun to end your session - or just scrub the comp.     :) 

....and what is a good process to scrub/clean the comp,thanks

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Shouldn't be much of a problem - it takes thousands of "exposed bases" to lead up your comp.

Even better if you spray your comp each time before you shoot them, and then fire some JHP's

thru the gun to end your session - or just scrub the comp.     :) 

Jack, I have had the comp on my 40 MINOR gun lead up (shooting non coated lead bullets) after just 500 rounds. It would lead up  bad enough that the baffles would be full and the bullets would start hitting the lead, affecting accuracy. And by minor, I mean minor...3.2 grains of Clays with a 155 grain lead bullet.

Berry’s makes those thick plated bullets rated up to 1500fps. Although I’ve ran regular Berry’s plated in my open gun before. Accuracy was fine. For the most part I’ve been running blue bullets, polymer coated. I’ve put around 2000 though it and haven’t cleaned the comp at all, and it doesn’t look like it needs it either. With that said, I may switch to a jacketed bullet when I finish up all the blues I have. 

2 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Berry’s makes those thick plated bullets rated up to 1500fps. Although I’ve ran regular Berry’s plated in my open gun before. Accuracy was fine. For the most part I’ve been running blue bullets, polymer coated. I’ve put around 2000 though it and haven’t cleaned the comp at all, and it doesn’t look like it needs it either. With that said, I may switch to a jacketed bullet when I finish up all the blues I have. 

I have run the regular Berry's 115gr plated bullets up over 1500fps out of my open guns, surprisingly with no signs of the bullets coming apart

On 12/20/2018 at 6:57 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

^^^^^^^^^^    Spend a little more, and get PD's - they're the best buy right now.     ^^^^^^^^^^^

I had some shipping issues with PD, completely the USPS at fault mind you.... But 3 weeks later I got my first batch and loaded some up. They are really good bullets. 178$ for 2k shipped isn't a bad deal. It's the equivalent to what about 44$ a box of 500. 

I had a thread going for my pcc load with the intent  of using plated. After reading and running the numbers Precision Delta makes the most sense for me. Cheaper than a plated bullet and higher quality. Follow them on social media to see some of their special deals.  

38 minutes ago, Acsr said:

Not sure why you would want to shoot plated bullets of any kind when jacketed bullets from RMR are not any more expensive, they run sales regularly and get a hold of asponsored shooter and save some more money with a discount code

After seeing the poor performance I had at 1360 fps with them I don't. Since I usually  shoot Limited .40 that's what I happened to have in my reloading room so I put some loads together . Don't want to make a habit of shooting exposed based FMJ so now I have 2k Precision Delta 124 jhp on their way.....

Depending on quantity the RMR are the Best price on a jacketed h.p. around I've shoot MG E.G. PD, found RMR won wad a touch late to the jacketed game, but not searching for the perfect bullet any longer, RMR is legit and priced right. 

On 12/20/2018 at 7:51 PM, B_RAD said:

I use Precision Delta. Best price. Great quality and great people.

Yes to all that, and they USED to have best price, but last time I bought EverGlades bullets - with Black Friday discount there were cheaper, and quality-wise at least as good. 

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

Yes to all that, and they USED to have best price, but last time I bought EverGlades bullets - with Black Friday discount there were cheaper, and quality-wise at least as good. 

I've noticed something when it comes to bullets choices. Everyone wants to make a case for their manufacturer of choice. Then, they want to apply BF discounts to thier purchase but forget the same BF discoint was probably available from every manufacturer. Essentially, keeping the price difference between brand X and brand Z the same. 

Edited by B_RAD

5 hours ago, Foxbat said:

To my knowledge there was no BF discount on JHP bullets from Precision - I looked.  So the price comparison is fair. 

These days you need to follow your desired bulletmaker on Instagram or Facebook. That’s where I got in on Everglades and BlueBullets both being 10% or more off.

I didn’t see the sale on either shop’s website.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

These days you need to follow your desired bulletmaker on Instagram or Facebook. That’s where I got in on Everglades and BlueBullets both being 10% or more off.

I didn’t see the sale on either shop’s website.

Sign up for Everglades email list as well. They don’t overdue it with the emails but if they have a deal going on you’ll know about it.

That's how I got my information, plus they were 15% off on Monday.  They do this every year, a friend tipped me.

I have done a lot of business with Precision, but they apparently don't keep mailing list.  As result - I looked there, but did not see it... I saw some other bullets, but not 124gr JHP.  If their goal was to make it hard to fine - it is their business, but they surely succeeded!  :)  

On 12/20/2018 at 10:27 PM, vgdvc said:

Just ordered 2k of 124 jhp. Bad news is they're closed till January 2nd! I'm going a little Cabin Fever crazy. Took awhile for the pistol to get here, powder should be here in about 4 days but all I have to load and run with is these plated bullets and some 124 jacketed round nose so they have an exposed base. I'm figuring the exposed base is a No-No for even couple hundred rounds?

You made a great choice going with Precision Delta, awesome bullets and even better people.  Just be patient and wait for them to come in.  I filled a comp up on a 9 minor steel gun with less than 2k rounds of coated lead (always wiped it down with FP-10 prior to shooting and ended each session with 5 JHPs).  I spent about 4 hours cleaning it all out and will never make that mistake again.  I have three open major guns with 4-18k of PD JHPs through them and have never cleaned any of the comps.

On 12/20/2018 at 10:27 PM, vgdvc said:

Just ordered 2k of 124 jhp. Bad news is they're closed till January 2nd! I'm going a little Cabin Fever crazy. Took awhile for the pistol to get here, powder should be here in about 4 days but all I have to load and run with is these plated bullets and some 124 jacketed round nose so they have an exposed base. I'm figuring the exposed base is a No-No for even couple hundred rounds?

You made a great choice going with Precision Delta, awesome bullets and even better people.  Just be patient and wait for them to come in.  I filled a comp up on a 9 minor steel gun with less than 2k rounds of coated lead (always wiped it down with FP-10 prior to shooting and ended each session with 5 JHPs).  I spent about 4 hours cleaning it all out and will never make that mistake again.  I have three open major guns with 4-18k of PD JHPs through them and have never cleaned any of the comps.

2 hours ago, taxil343 said:

Yes I have been happy with their products in the past. I used them years back when I was able to get 180 grain 40 FMJ for about $58 per thousand. Then I moved to plated,then coated. It wasn't an issue shooting Limited but this is a new game with the Open gun...

8 hours ago, Foxbat said:

... I looked there, but did not see it... I saw some other bullets, but not 124gr JHP.  If their goal was to make it hard to find - it is their business, but they surely succeeded!  :)  

Steven conceeded in a discussion around BF time period that he relies a lot on the mailing list. Mant of us loathe getting emails from people who aren’t our friends and family. We all would much rather see it here, facebook, and instagram.

@Ssanders224 is going to do the social media thing next year at in addition to their email list. I have 8k new bullets from Blue and Everglades that likely would have been PD’s instead... if I’d caught their sale on instagram while trolling for deals on black friday.

58 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I don't like "social" media and don't use it, but actually there were emails from PD, just no 124gr bullets in them.  I have their BF email.  Another one was on Monday.  All wrong bullets.

What can I say?  Advertising sells. 

If you don't mind me asking what is the BF email, what is beneficial about it and how does one sign up for it?