Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

10 hours ago, VU2AKILL said:

Question for you guys.   I have a thousand or more rounds through my VR now but I have a reoccurring issue coming up and hoping someone can help.   I put a Magpul MOE SL stock on it and under recoil the stock will collapse to its shortest position. Not very fun when your face gets that close to the upper of a 12 guage!  Are these notorious for collapsing like this or what?  I know this is the model without the locking lever and maybe I messed up getting this over the locking one.   Anyone know of a fix for this...or do I need a different stock.   Thanks

did you maybe put a commercial spec Magpul stock on a Mil spec tube? I've seen stocks collapse when that has been done as well.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, VU2AKILL said:

I put the commercial stock on the stock tube.  

AHHHH.....have I ever told anyone how much I hate the factory tube???? Sorta/kinda commercial spec on the outside and WAAAYYYYYY smaller on the inside.

3 hours ago, toothandnail said:

Where is the buffer tube from? There are a bunch of  cheap Chinese tubes that will do that.

My bet is it's the tube not the stock.

Stock tube.  Commercial stock.  Maybe i need to start over with a new tube and stock configuration.  Cant hardly get through a mag without it collapsing, which usually results in a short stroke jam.

1 minute ago, TRUBL said:

AHHHH.....have I ever told anyone how much I hate the factory tube???? Sorta/kinda commercial spec on the outside and WAAAYYYYYY smaller on the inside.

Good info.  Thanks.  I know what i need to do then.  

• 3 weeks later...

Come ON OPEN shooters, I thought we were gonna be close the Tac Ops numbers for a while. Open was running half the  reg. count for most of the time. The last 10 days or so Tac Op jumped ahead, Irons has also jumped alot, getting close to Open numbers now
Still some slots available.

https://clubs.practiscore.com/2020-missouri-3-gun-championship/register

I finally have my VR80 set up the way I like it, thanks in a large part to this thread!

To date the modifications are:

The original Extractor wouldn't hold the shell.  When I hand cycled the action, the shells would just fall off the Extractor before hitting the Ejector peg. I bought an Extractor from Advanced Tactical so I would have a spare to experiment on, I fitted it to actually hold the rim of the shell.  Now it hand cycles and ejects the rounds correctly.

Gas ports reamed to .112”  the gas ports were very rough with lots of exterior burrs and varied in size.

Tooth and Nail Armory Flat Trigger

Taccom Muzzle Brake  I shortened the Barrel Shroud just enough to clock the Muzzle Brake correctly.

Taccom Handguard Coupler

Taccom Ambi Charging Handle  I softened all the hard edges and pointy bits with a buffing wheel.

Taccom Extened Safety Lever  I’m waiting on a 60 degree center section to see if I like it because the reach to throw the lever is pretty long even for my long thumbs.

Taccom Flatwire Recoil Spring and Buffer 

Since reaming the gas ports, with the stock recoil spring it will run 1oz 2-3/4 dram loads, but it's right at the very edge of short stroking.  The Taccom spring won't quite run the 1oz shells.

Ace ARFX Skeleton Buttstock  I designed and had an adapter and spacer 3D printed to align the Ace Buttstock peg with the non-milspec VR80 receiver.

Armaspec Carbine to Rifle buffer tube spacer

Advanced Tactical Magwell

Advanded Tactical Handguard Wrap and lined the inside of the handguard with aluminum foil duct tape

I posted a video to youtube

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

Grabagun has the 20 round drum for the VR80 for$86.39 plus $10.00 shipping...That is the same as the one Tooth and Nail sells for $139.00 plus $23.00 shipping...But for the $68.00 extra I spent from Tooth and Nail I was told the post office hasn't picked up 20 something drums ready to be shipped...Although I was sent a email 3 days ago saying it was shipped...I paid extra just so I could get this kind of service...I am sure others have been treated good, and some have not been treated good...I just wanted others out there that count on what they have read on this forum to not be counted on as written in stone.

Feel free to roll the dice and order the drum from grab a gun. We state on the website please allow 3 business days for tuning of your drum. Based on you comments I assume you are the gentleman whom I spoke with on the phone today. Which placed your order on the 4th. Please correct me if I am wrong.

We tune drums so they run correctly. We have had a 5% success rate with current drums coming from promag. We test fire and tune every drum before it leaves our shop. If this is unacceptable please let me know and we will gladly refund your order and cancel. Which we could have done when you called today. Thanks! 

7 hours ago, Patfairlane said:

Grabagun has the 20 round drum for the VR80 for$86.39 plus $10.00 shipping...That is the same as the one Tooth and Nail sells for $139.00 plus $23.00 shipping...But for the $68.00 extra I spent from Tooth and Nail I was told the post office hasn't picked up 20 something drums ready to be shipped...Although I was sent a email 3 days ago saying it was shipped...I paid extra just so I could get this kind of service...I am sure others have been treated good, and some have not been treated good...I just wanted others out there that count on what they have read on this forum to not be counted on as written in stone.

Feel free to roll the dice and order the drum from grab a gun. We state on the website please allow 3 business days for tuning of your drum. Based on you comments I assume you are the gentleman whom I spoke with on the phone today. Which placed your order on the 4th. Please correct me if I am wrong.

We tune drums so they run correctly. We have had a 5% success rate with current drums coming from promag. We test fire(live fire in our shop gun) and tune every drum before it leaves our shop. If this is unacceptable please let me know and we will gladly refund your order and cancel. Which we could have done when you called today. Thanks! 

Edited by LoganbillJ
Added details about tuning.

On 1/15/2020 at 9:52 AM, TRUBL said:

So a little follow up on this comment.  I ended up buying a mil spec tube to replace the factory tube and a stock to go with it.  I went to install the mil spec tube and it would not screw easily into the lower.  It seemed like the threads on the new tube were the same pitch but deeper cut that the factory tube.  I was about to get really pissed when i decided to see how tight the new mil spec stock was on the factory tube.  Stock  fit as perfectly as you could possibly want.  So the outside diameter of my factory commercial tube was pretty much mil spec!!  No wonder the commercial Magpul stock would not stay put.  I had to laugh when i thought back to this comment.  You were spot on with that one!!

Edited by VU2AKILL
added info

On 2/5/2020 at 9:21 AM, TeamGreenbaum said:

Is it OK to load a shell directly in the chamber and close the bolt (without a magazine inserted)? Will a full magazine then seat correctly?

It works, but it's not ideal. Over time, it can stress the extractor and lead to breakage. Sending the bolt forward with a shell already in the chamber causes the extractor to slam into the edge of the brass rim and then "jump" over the brass as the bolt settles into battery.

On 2/4/2020 at 6:43 PM, Nolan said:

I finally have my VR80 set up the way I like it, thanks in a large part to this thread!

To date the modifications are:

The original Extractor wouldn't hold the shell.  When I hand cycled the action, the shells would just fall off the Extractor before hitting the Ejector peg. I bought an Extractor from Advanced Tactical so I would have a spare to experiment on, I fitted it to actually hold the rim of the shell.  Now it hand cycles and ejects the rounds correctly.

Gas ports reamed to .112”  the gas ports were very rough with lots of exterior burrs and varied in size.

Tooth and Nail Armory Flat Trigger

Taccom Muzzle Brake  I shortened the Barrel Shroud just enough to clock the Muzzle Brake correctly.

Taccom Handguard Coupler

Taccom Ambi Charging Handle  I softened all the hard edges and pointy bits with a buffing wheel.

Taccom Extened Safety Lever  I’m waiting on a 60 degree center section to see if I like it because the reach to throw the lever is pretty long even for my long thumbs.

Taccom Flatwire Recoil Spring and Buffer 

Since reaming the gas ports, with the stock recoil spring it will run 1oz 2-3/4 dram loads, but it's right at the very edge of short stroking.  The Taccom spring won't quite run the 1oz shells.

Ace ARFX Skeleton Buttstock  I designed and had an adapter and spacer 3D printed to align the Ace Buttstock peg with the non-milspec VR80 receiver.

Armaspec Carbine to Rifle buffer tube spacer

Advanced Tactical Magwell

Advanded Tactical Handguard Wrap and lined the inside of the handguard with aluminum foil duct tape

I posted a video to youtube

Nolan

Looks like that Taccom brake works very well!!  What shells are you using?  Do you have a specific brand or just any 1oz 2 3/4 dram??

The first magazine was Wally World Winchester 1255fps 1-1/8oz 7.5 shot.  The other magazines were Winchester AA (brass) 1145fps 1-1/8oz 7.5 shot. 

I've never shot it without the brake, so I probably should try without, and see if it's actually doing anything other than looking cool.

Nolan

53 minutes ago, Nolan said:

The first magazine was Wally World Winchester 1255fps 1-1/8oz 7.5 shot.  The other magazines were Winchester AA (brass) 1145fps 1-1/8oz 7.5 shot. 

I've never shot it without the brake, so I probably should try without, and see if it's actually doing anything other than looking cool.

Nolan

i stopped using a brake after this...

IMG_3141.jpeg