Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Real Holsters In Limited - Who Uses Them?

dirtypool40

Guys

I am an aspiring Limited / Standard shooter.

A year ago I switched from a Ghost race rig to a straight drop (previously IDPA legal) kydex rig, and have actually improved my draw. I average right around 1.00 for an "A" at 10y.

I have seen other shooters out there in iron site land, with "real" holsters. I'm looking at putting something together for Front Site about this.

I'm looking for expereinced Master and Grand Master shooters who shoot OTHER THAN RACE RIGS in Limited or L10.

Email address welcome for those not in the Benos-verse.

Thanks in advance...

Hi there,

I am not a M/GM or do I play one on TV. I do have something for you to consider: Did your draw improve because of the holster or the holster change? By changing gear, you may have forced your self to re-learn the draw and loosing any inefficiencies that you had with the ghost.

I would imagine that any GM could do rather well with a real holster but would probably do a hair better with a unreal holster.

It will be fun to see the replies.

Take Care,

Chuck

E. Bragg shoot Limited with a plastic holster.

I often shoot out of a Fobus, Uncle Mike's, or Bladetech...and, sometimes a Sooper Hooper. (all with the same Glock)

I have turned in many Master and Grand Master classifiers with the above holster. And, I have put up some of my best numbers/draws in Steel Challenge with those type of holsters. (In Steel Challenge, all those draws are a huge part of the score).

Going head-to-head in the finals of a shoot-off...or, shooting some super-serious Steel Challenge, I'd likely want my race holster on. But, for USPSA/IPSC type of shooting, I would be more than OK shooting a Kydex holster...even at the Nationals. The raw speed isn't any more than a tenth off (likely, not even that). The security is the bonus. No worries on starts with movement. And, knowing it is there and secure...let you go to the gun rather aggressively.

I'm a Limited Master and I'm 2.5% away from Master in L10. I also shoot a bit of IPSC Canada matches (Ontario Provincials/IPSC Canada Nats.) when I get the chance.

After YEARS of using Safariland 009/011/012 holsters, I switched to a Hellweg KST Tactical holster for my SVI and the Glock 21 I intend on using in Production Division.

p.m. me if I can help in any way possible.

There was a M or possibly A class Limited/STI shooter using a red colored Kydex on our squad (4) at the Nationals ( the limited/production/revolver nationals). Will see if I can post a picture of the guy. Very fast, very smooth, & not slow at all on the draw. I am beginning to think that most of the time, race holsters are more trouble than they are worth.

I am by no means a known M, but an M none the less. I have been usin a Blade-Tech DOH for my Edge for a couple of years now. I prefer it to a race rig, as it is more secure walking around or during any movement prior to draws etc. Also it seems like it forces me to do a more correct draw, and as a result, I get more consistient draws. --It is nothing more than a party trick, but while out playing at the range after a practice session or something, I can consistiently do a .7 draw to first shot at about 8-10 yards with a kydex holster, and 1.6ish draw-one-shot-reload-one-shot with kydex gear--means nothing about my ability in a match, but I dont feel like I give anything up in the holster category. I will probably never go back to a race rig.

M Limited, A Lim-10 - I shoot a Ghost 90% of the time, but have a Bladetech DOH for my Edge also...... in a match I really can't tell much difference in draw times probably .90 to 1.10 - but during an all out speed draw on a three yard target, in practice, I can rip off .7 or lower with my Ghost, but not much better than .9 with the DOH..... but the question should be, who cares? Its the consistent, repeatable match performance that counts.

Now if I can just convince myself of that, and quit using the Ghost... hmmm. :P

Consider that the reason some are faster with Kydex is likely because they do not do the fundamentally correct draw from the race holster. All draws that I do from Kydex result in proper presentation to the target, and I have seen photos of me lifting the muzzle up directly from the race holster. I have had great draws with 1911s and Glocks at steel challenge from Bladetech belt holsters. My STI 2011 is drawn from a Limcat 90% of the time andfrom a Bladetech offset drop when I 3Gun. I am not M, but A working on M, and I thought my theory was worth consideration. David Sevigny uses the same guns and holster in L, L10, and Production.

I use a CR speed for my STI, but can still hit .90 draws with my Glock fom an uncle mike's kydex.

I would love to find a fully-adjustable, more secure, kydex holster for my STI. I need offset from the body and slight muzzle fwd design.

I would love to find a fully-adjustable, more secure, kydex holster for my STI.  I need offset from the body and slight muzzle fwd design.

I can't do the fully adjustable, but once you figure out where you want it, if you have the holster, making the hanger is a piece of cake, cheap too.

Maybe if I get motivated I'll post some picts of my homemade production set-up.

My personal opinion is that the "race" mag carriers are more of an advantage over a normal belt mag carrier, than a "race" holster is over a good kydex rig. I didn't notice a lot of improvement in my draw when moving from a Comp-tac locking paddle to a CR-speed. However I noticed a lot of improvement when moving from a Comp-tac double mag pouch positioned a la IDPA to a CR-speed pouch at the belt buckle position. No brainer - you move your hand almost 2 feet less. With the holster you save minimal movement.

For me the selling point of the race holster was the ability to adjust it that little bit that made it more comfortable to draw repeatedly than my regular out of the box kydex rig. This made a big difference in wrist comfort during long dry fire sessions.

Eric,

Check with Sevigny before writing your article. I know lots of times, he has used the same Kytac (kydex) holster for Lim10 or Limited as he does for Production. But, I also know that he used CR Speed at Fl Open this year when he shot Limited and came in 2nd overall Limited. I dont know what he used at this years Lim10/Open Nats.

Im no big name, thats for sure, and I havent shot Lim in 3 years, but since Ive started back shooting again, Im shooting in Production and using a Blade Tech DOH and really like it. I also really like the Kytac Super Hooper I have. The only reason I dont still use it is because I had shoulder surgery about 2 years ago after SWAT School here in Pinellas County and the draw makes me bring the gun a little higher up (towards the armpit) and makes it a little uncomfortable over time.

I have talked with Dave at Kytac though and he said he could modify it any way I needed to help alleviate that. I will probably do that because his holster is excellent. If I were to go back to Lim or Lim10, I seriously considered using a kydex holster because the draws are about the same speed, but a lot more secure. Also, more security for my mind knowing it isnt going anywhere. I actually think the simplicity makes it a little easier and faster for me, kind of like the topic you created about mag changes and moving the pouch back a bit instead of at your belt buckle in front, I totally agree!!

think Avery and Maljian shoot a straight drop kydex...Dave Elderton shoots his stuff..

Had a buddy , Jim Wall, long time ago..shot Limited with a Sparks IWB holster..

then he always pissed me off when he showed up with a left handed rig.. :angry::D:D

don't think you loose that much on the draw...might matter is all matches were stages of one shot draws...

we recently had a steel match..where one of the stages was 10 one shot draws on a steel IPSC target at 12 yards..I was getting .79 to .95 from my production rig with a SP01.

Would be a nice article though..maybe breaking some myths about the equipment we think we need.

Good stuff, guys. Can anyone put me in touch with Bonnet? Waiting for "dablaster" to check in on this topic. Yo, Manny, pick up the phone!!!

M's and GM's, please PM or email your reasons for Not using a race rig, advantages you see to this "simplification" and if you think you've lost anything by not using a race rig. Send a pic of you and your NON-race rig in action. dirtypool40@yahoo.com

If you get bored / have the time, shoot the draw test and let me know the results. I run right around .95 for an "A" out of straight drop kydex.

Thanks and keep them coming.

I went to an old Bianchi Hemisphere for my single stack this season just because I had it laying around and I have developed a spare tire and I occasionally grap a handful of shirt with the pistol. Before going to the "race holster" I used a Ky-Tac. When it broke I went to an Uncle Mike's. M cards in L10 and Limited came with an Uncle Mike's as did several wins at local steel matches. Now I use a Blade Tech on occasion. For me, there is no difference in the draw between good Kydex, and a pistol retention device.

FWIW, Sam uses real holsters. My goodness he is fast. :lol: