Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Containers for the Range

JRM83

Been looking for the perfect ammo container for range/match use for a while now. To me, the perfect container fits easily in a range bag, holds 250+ rounds of 9mm, and stands upright on it's own with a mouth that won't collapse for easy loading of magazines. Finally it has to be durable enough to survive in my range bag for more than a week. So far the perfect container seems to be the g-code bang box. A friend of mine has a couple and they are really nice, but also a bit expensive for what they are. Currently I am using a Magpul DAKA which is okay except for the fact that it doesn't sit flat or stay open. 

So, anyone have the perfect solution? A cheap and practical ammo storage device that works well for the range?

Image result for g-code bang box

23 minutes ago, JRM83 said:

How do you keep the lid from popping off when it gets jostled around in your range bag? Also, my hands are too big to reach into one to grab the ammo at the bottom.

I don't use one myself. Locally we can drive into the bays, so most work off their tailgate.

I use the Ikea GLIS plastic storage box.  Each will hold 250 rds of 9mm and my Dillon shooting bag will easily hold three of these.  I have over a dozen scattered around the house.  Most are several years old and heavily used.  None have broken or cracked.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80098583/

11 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I use the Ikea GLIS plastic storage box.  Each will hold 250 rds of 9mm and my Dillon shooting bag will easily hold three of these.  I have over a dozen scattered around the house.  Most are several years old and heavily used.  None have broken or cracked.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80098583/

Will the lid stay on if it gets thrown around with my range bag? If so, I am heading to Ikea tomorrow...

1 minute ago, JRM83 said:

Will the lid stay on if it gets thrown around with my range bag? If so, I am heading to Ikea tomorrow...

The lid has two hinges that snap on to the box and another snap that holds the box closed.  Get a little rough and the lid will pop off.

At a match, I put the bag on my Rugged Gear cart and put one of the ammo boxes in one of the holders just above the front wheel.  So far no problems popping open.

They are strong enough that I can load these with ammo and stack them six boxes high on a shelf.

I just went to Walmart and picked up some clear plastic containers that that have latches to hold the lid on. If I remember right they hold 500 rounds of 9mm or 33 rounds of 12 gauge or 150ish rounds of .223. Now might be a little late to get them though, I bought mine last year when it was time for everyone to go back to college. That’s when they have a big assortment of containers. 

C8E909B5-C4FA-4F7D-AD1E-02F04201B11C.png

Edited by blacklab

1 hour ago, EEH said:

I just use the Dillon blue ammo box 100 per box, take 3 to each match

MTM here. Opaque, I like the translucent lid ones, but learned they will break if dropped.

Harbor freight sells small plastic ammo cans that'll fit in a pack, 9x6x4 or so, had coupon for $2.99, so have those for bulk ammo needs like practice. I think the reg price is $5ish

I can see me now eating chocolate  almonds for every match just to get the container.

or do you just eat them one time and use the same container?

Edited by EEH

I use a Plano bate box. http://www.planomolding.com/fishing/stowawayr-utility-boxes/prolatch-six-compartment-stowaway-3600

I can fit three in the bottom compartment of my range bag. One has tools, one cleaning supplies and the third ammo. Not sure on the round count, but it works well and the separate compartments stop the ammo from flopping around too much. The other two I removed the interior compartment dividers so I can use the whole space. 

On 9/29/2018 at 10:23 PM, blacklab said:

I just went to Walmart and picked up some clear plastic containers that that have latches to hold the lid on. If I remember right they hold 500 rounds of 9mm or 33 rounds of 12 gauge or 150ish rounds of .223. Now might be a little late to get them though, I bought mine last year when it was time for everyone to go back to college. That’s when they have a big assortment of containers. 

C8E909B5-C4FA-4F7D-AD1E-02F04201B11C.png

I use something very similar.  The lid has two hinges.  When I get to the range, I usually pop off the lid anyway.  I use a range cart and the ammo box is inside my large range bag.

I use the cardboard ammo boxes that hold 50 rounds - any brand of 9mm is fine.

I can easily dump ammo out of the box in groups of five (5, 10 or 15) at a time,

right into my hand and then load them into the mag.

I don't have to pull rounds out one by one.

Very easy and convenient, and the primers are facing up so I can visually

confirm there is  a live primer in each round    :)