Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oh crap! To the hospital

Broncman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang!  That's awful!

I have always worried about where my holstered pistol is pointing and tried to keep it away from leg foot etc. 

On a side note last year I switched to CMJ loads in 9 major. My thought was if I did have an accident I would rather it not be with a hollow point. Gotta ask what projectile did you put thru your foot, PF etc? 

Precision Delta 124 HP at 175 PF. Grace of God it didn't hit bone . It did chip a piece, so that sucks for healing real quick. Pretty much centered between second and third toe. Pretty nice flesh wound.

Honestly, the damn shots in the digits hurt about as bad... 

I have a serious issue with pain meds not working, so the stitches really sucked. Doc said "wow, you weren't kidding were you."

He said they get people in all the time claiming that just to get more drugs.

8 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

On the Cheely E2 Grip, does it use a propriety grip safety or could you put a normal functioning grip safety on?

Not sure if one could be fitted. Pretty sure it can.

Honestly though, this was my fault and not the grip

Edited by Broncman

Sorry to hear this happened. Draws are my weak point, I'm very slow. But after reading this I think I'll be a little more happy with my 1.6 sec draws. Suddenly I don't feel the need to push myself. Thanks for sharing, thoughts are with you.

Edited by blacklab

Sorry to hear this happened. Draws are my weak point, I'm very slow. But after reading this I think I'll be a little more with my 1.6 sec draws. Suddenly I don't feel the need to push myself. Thanks for sharing, thoughts are with you.
Push yourself. But do it in dryfire, and get comfortable at that speed before you ever try it live.

1 minute ago, Gooldylocks said:
13 minutes ago, blacklab said:
Sorry to hear this happened. Draws are my weak point, I'm very slow. But after reading this I think I'll be a little more with my 1.6 sec draws. Suddenly I don't feel the need to push myself. Thanks for sharing, thoughts are with you.

Push yourself. But do it in dryfire, and get comfortable at that speed before you ever try it live.

I think that's about as fast as I'll ever be. I've always had this fear of shooting my foot that I cant shake. Now the fear is written in stone. There's always other places to make up time, I'm not trying for GM just having fun.

8 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Thanks so much for sharing all this Ken, my favorite part is imagining you sitting in the ER waiting room commenting on the Brian Enos Forum ?

Hey, it was the distraction I needed!

It was quite the experience. The guy taking my shoe off was scared to death my toes would fall out when he got it off.

The guy cutting my sock off stabbed me with the scissors. Serious! I honestly have a stab wound a out 3/16" long!

Then the cop that took the report had 4 fingers. Shot one off with a 357!

All joking aside. I have been getting ready for the NC and TN state matches this week. I was so stoked because I have actually been dry firing and live practicing my ass off!(well, maybe my toes...)

Been turning in some A and Master scores and times on some classifiers have set up at my range. And these times we're not at the end of the day but

cold, when I first got there.

That is lesson #3 for me.

Temper your drive to master something with the safety to allow you to continue.

On 9/8/2018 at 12:57 PM, Broncman said:

Ok guys,  just a heads up. It happened. Shot myself in the foot. New E2 grip and pinned safety. Had everything down pat and started doing turn and draws. 

The E2 fits my double Alpha racer holster a little different. Was snagging. Thought I had it worked out and went back to live fire. Was pushing the drill hard, snagged and bang.

No excuses for disnegaging safety in the motion.

I normally disengage at about a 45 degree arc in my draw.

If any can learn from my mistake please do....

Buddy driving me now.

Im very sorry for what happened to you, and hope you get better soon. Please buy the right insert for your holster. The old CK grip used the SV insert. I have two open guns and both have different grips so I have two insert. If I try to put the gun in the wrong insert it does not fit good. 

18 hours ago, blacklab said:

I think that's about as fast as I'll ever be. I've always had this fear of shooting my foot that I cant shake. Now the fear is written in stone. There's always other places to make up time, I'm not trying for GM just having fun.

You can still shoot yourself in the foot with a 1.6 second draw if you disengage the safety in the holster and snag the trigger... 

A .8 draw is pretty easy for me within 10 yards and there is a very audible click of the safety that never happens until well after I have the gun out of the holster and aiming downrange.   Also, I stopped running DAA holsters because it was catching.  In addition to slowing me down, I was concerned of something like this happening. 

5 minutes ago, stick said:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Glad all of your digits are still attached!

I won't mention anything about your booger hook on the bang button.

Thought you weren't going to mention it!

Wife says I am grounded .. scolding me every time I get near my gear...

Bluedevil008 what holster did you switch to?

21 hours ago, Broncman said:

Precision Delta 124 HP at 175 PF. Grace of God it didn't hit bone . It did chip a piece, so that sucks for healing real quick. Pretty much centered between second and third toe. Pretty nice flesh wound.

Honestly, the damn shots in the digits hurt about as bad... 

I have a serious issue with pain meds not working, so the stitches really sucked. Doc said "wow, you weren't kidding were you."

He said they get people in all the time claiming that just to get more drugs.

many years back I cut my feet deep and in a couple of places.

Those docs exploring and then stitching gave me a perspective on pain that has had no equal.

I have read that breaking a leg bone is the most pain. ... that may be true and I will avoid it.

I still find it a little hard to believe.

From all I have read since the foot incident, the docs think pain meds don't seem to work

on hands and feet because we have a lot of connections in our brains to hands and feet.

We can't easily ignore it.

I was a lot more careful about where I walked afterwards.

you can have a lot of faith in yourself that you will avoid a repeat incident.

miranda

1 hour ago, Broncman said:

Thought you weren't going to mention it!

Wife says I am grounded .. scolding me every time I get near my gear...

Bluedevil008 what holster did you switch to?

The Safariland.  It seems MUCH safer in my opinion.  Drawback is you have to run the muzzle nub thingy just because of the design of the holster, but it is quicker, and I have had zero issues with any snagging or catching.

Curious about what happened following the shot!   Reason being, I train alone about 50% of the time.  I leave gates unlocked for quicker access for EMS, and I have a TQ and med kit in my truck at all times.  But any lessons learned in that regard would be appreciated.