Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oh crap! To the hospital

Broncman

Ok guys,  just a heads up. It happened. Shot myself in the foot. New E2 grip and pinned safety. Had everything down pat and started doing turn and draws. 

The E2 fits my double Alpha racer holster a little different. Was snagging. Thought I had it worked out and went back to live fire. Was pushing the drill hard, snagged and bang.

No excuses for disnegaging safety in the motion.

I normally disengage at about a 45 degree arc in my draw.

If any can learn from my mistake please do....

Buddy driving me now.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right handed, spinning right, had A bad draw, and must have hit safety going into the grip. Holster hung on to the pistol some how.

The E2 grip fit the holster a little different.

I had been having a great practice session. Was pushing real hard and hits were really good. The grip really is great and was loving the added weight.

I had spent all evening yesterday doing my safety checks and dry firing. Set the trigger pull to about 2.5 lbs. Was a little worried about a pinned safety. 

Honestly I do not believe that was a factor.  

In the end, this was my fault!

Edited by Broncman

Nobody wants to be that guy!

I do have some pointers that I will post up later.  

One thing that I will post up now is pay attention to the angle of your gun in the holster. Angle it in a way that minimizes the chance of hitting your leg in case of an AD.

Mine is pretty much straight down, the turn and draw might have alterd my position I am sure 

3 minutes ago, scubajosh77 said:

Don’t wanna be that guy but draw, holster, etc shouldn’t matter. Rule #3. Good on you for being man enough to share though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are exactly right. In the end this is my fault. Just be aware of position

I was doing g a turn and draw from surrender position , believe I came in straight down on grip and disengaged with safety going straight in.

Just hope someone else reads this and evaluates their technique.

Signing out for awhile, no excuses guys,

Examine your technique, be HONEST with yourself, and BE SAFE!

43 minutes ago, Broncman said:

be HONEST with yourself, and BE SAFE!

For me this lead to a double action first shot weapon choice. 

Have not had an incident like this, and do not consider d.a. a sure cure for all potential incidents, but it just feels safer. 

Thank you for sharing, best wishes. 

20 minutes ago, davsco said:

.  your finger pulled the trigger or it snagged on something?

At home. Replaying everything in my mind and trying to be honest with myself, here is my thoughts on how it happened.

Trigger guard is I believe a little narrower than the STI. It allows a little movement side to side of the gun. I believe this was what created the snag. 

#1 Mistake. Should have had a perfect fit to holster before e er going live fire!!!

Hands at surrender, turn and pivoted on right foot. Hand came down, straight down but I was very high on beaver tail instead of under beaver tail. I believe when I did this it disengaged the safety.

Was really trying to push my draw times and "explode" out of the draw. When I snatched the gun up, holster jerked up too and I believe then because I snatched so hard, when it came free, finger went into trigger guard and BAM!

#2 Mistake. Know when to stop and forget about saving the draw and continuing.(Ego gets in the way here.)

There are times you can recover from a mistake , but if safety is compromised... DON'T. Just Stop!

Already catching hell from family and in a way, rightly so.

This is a dangerous sport and just last year there was a ISPSA death from a draw fire that I am sure some of you remember.

I will forever be one of "those guys" now but by sharing, I hope it helps someone, espey those that are new to the sport!