Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oh crap! To the hospital

Broncman

26 minutes ago, bluedevil008 said:

Curious about what happened following the shot!   Reason being, I train alone about 50% of the time.  I leave gates unlocked for quicker access for EMS, and I have a TQ and med kit in my truck at all times.  But any lessons learned in that regard would be appreciated.

Never thought about that, will start leaving the gate unlocked as well.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Miranda said:

Those docs exploring and then stitching gave me a perspective on pain that has had no equal.I

Pain is weird. I've broken 4 bones, all at different times (collar, arm, hand, finger), never had any pain and didn't take the pain pills they sent me home with, for the arm they injected stuff before they set & casted it so perhaps that would have hurt otherwise. 

But in general I am a sissy, ask my Dentist.  

11 hours ago, bluedevil008 said:

Curious about what happened following the shot!   Reason being, I train alone about 50% of the time.  I leave gates unlocked for quicker access for EMS, and I have a TQ and med kit in my truck at all times.  But any lessons learned in that regard would be appreciated.

I was with a buddy , but normally shoot alone. I have family that lives on the same property as my range.

First thing I did was dropped mag and made clear. Then told my buddy what happened

We packed up, and I purposely left shoe on. Range is about 25-30 minutes from hospital. I knew we would make it to hospital before ambulance got to us.

My range is on top of a small mountain and on an unimproved road. I drove the Jeep off the mountain down to the road and then we switched.

He drove to the hospital. I posted up really as a distraction for me! I have pretty good pain management skills and the key is to refocus on something else.

I do keep a medical kit with me including blood stopper. Blood stopper is in all my shooting bags. 

Blood never came out of my shoe and I knew the shoe was keeping pressure on things so I left it on.

Leave gates unlocked, Have a good address or directions to your range. Keep you cellphone on your person.

If you bring a buddy, make sure he has the address in case you are out of it.

Keep a medical kit.

I am sure others can add to what to do after an accident.

Broncman I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Kudos for you for sharing ALL the details and taking responsibility for it!! This is actually a good eye opening thread for me. We all too often keep things like this in the back of our heads, but seldom give it enough thought if it actually does happen. 

On another note I have the same grip and love it as well. I'm using the Alpha X holster and found that the SV/STL block for it works great. The STI block had way too much slop. Going forward maybe something to look at. the Grip seems to be a bit different in it's dimensions. Could be part of what went wrong. Just wanted to share. 

Again hoping for a speedy recovery.

55 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Krummlauf looks like a great idea, but NO, I cannot imagine a "deflector" would

actually protect me from a live Minor round, much less a Major round.

If they did then what would be the minimum safe distance between spectators & match officials & the shooter? 

If they did then what would be the minimum safe distance between spectators & match officials & the shooter? 

If a competitor shows up at a match wearing armor because they think they might shoot their self. Either that person or me will be leaving the range.

46 minutes ago, mwray said:

If a competitor shows up at a match wearing armor because they think they might shoot their self. Either that person or me will be leaving the range.

amen! Or even a really bad limp from shooting yourself. "Damn dude, why you limping so bad?" "Nothing major, just shot myself in the foot practicing my draw". "See ya'!"

amen! Or even a really bad limp from shooting yourself. "Damn dude, why you limping so bad?" "Nothing major, just shot myself in the foot practicing my draw". "See ya'!"

lol glad we can finally agree on something. Nothing against the OP because accidents do happen. Just like breaking the 180, it will get people eventually. Now if either one becomes habit, then I’m start to feel very concerned about my safety if said person is around.

Very true and very understandable! You can be damn sure I will not push that hard for a long time , let alone in a match. I can make time up in other areas.

Trust me, my foot will heal before my pride.  

Safety and a safe draw will be Paramount to my continued USPSA careeer.

Just now, Broncman said:

Very true and very understandable! You can be damn sure I will not push that hard for a long time , let alone in a match. I can make time up in other areas.

Trust me, my foot will heal before my pride.  

Safety and a safe draw will be Paramount to my continued USPSA careeer.

But hey! You got MOM out of it!!:goof::goof:

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

But hey! You got MOM out of it!!:goof::goof:

Rather have my pride, but if it can slow anyone else down and make them rethink some aspect and save their butt, then the sport will be better for it.

Just so greatfull I was not at a match.

Solvability, it  only got a chip. Ortho appt first thing tomorrow. Actually went to work half day today. The guys in the shop we're real comedians as you can guess. Known most of them most of my life.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I was out shooting one day and someone dumped a bunch of old appliances on our "range".  

Water heater tank - .230 grain FMJ would just bounce off of it.  Made a dent.  I expected it to go through, but nope.  Shot it again, bounced off again.  Even the .357 magnum snub nose Ruger would shoot through one side of the tank and raise a pimple on the other.  The 240 grain .44 magnums would put holes in both sides and keep on trucking.  We put a 5 gallon bucket of water on one of the shelves inside a refrigerator and the .44 shot clean through both sides of the refrigerator and the 5 gal. bucket of water.  

Not sure what a pair of "shoe/foot guards" made out of water heater tank metal would weigh, but they might be good for exercising in.  Like those ankle weights some people use.

Best thing is probably work on your "moves" with an unloaded pistol.

glad the op turned out ok. I busted a toe earlier this summer and split the underside of my foot open riding a dirtbike alone in the mountains. The most pain of the whole event was the shots they gave me to numb up the toe so they could stitch it closed.

My safety tip for practice is don't shoot yourself. One of the nice things about shooting is it's SOOOO much safer than racing dirtbikes, or even just trailriding dirtbikes for fun.

2 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

My safety tip for practice is don't shoot yourself. One of the nice things about shooting is it's SOOOO much safer than racing dirtbikes, or even just trailriding dirtbikes for fun.

Ha! I quit riding dirt bikes at about 38-40 after being laid up from a crash....

Chasing my son on a hare scramble type run.

Life is fatal. None of us get out alive. Just hope a get a long ride out of it!

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

My safety tip for practice is don't shoot yourself.

If only you could have said something before this tragedy occurred. 

Somehow popped a rib out of its socket on my sternum the last time I remember crashing a dirt bike.

It was weird.

No big deal after the crash, shook it off and rode for another 30 minutes or so, driving home in the truck the cold sweats came on suddenly & I had to pull off the side of the road as I felt like I was going to pass out. Went to the emergency room & felt fine, explained to the Dr. what happened & she eventually pushed on just the right spot with her finger which lit me up like a xmas tree. Didn't have any more issues with it. 

4 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If only you could have said something before this tragedy occurred. 

Somehow popped a rib out of its socket on my sternum the last time I remember crashing a dirt bike.

It was weird.

No big deal after the crash, shook it off and rode for another 30 minutes or so, driving home in the truck the cold sweats came on suddenly & I had to pull off the side of the road as I felt like I was going to pass out. Went to the emergency room & felt fine, explained to the Dr. what happened & she eventually pushed on just the right spot with her finger which lit me up like a xmas tree. Didn't have any more issues with it. 

unlike shooting, dirtbiking can be dangerous. I have ridden out of the woods with a compound femur fracture (splinted up, stood on one foot on a borrowed bike since mine was trashed), ridden out of the desert with a broken collarbone (opening and closing numerous cattle gates), and ridden the last 40 miles of an enduro after tearing my acl.

Some dirtbike accidents can be avoided by using your head.... for example if you don't ride/race motocross, you don't usually have to worry about someone squirrely hitting you while you're in the air. Some shooting accidents can also be avoided. For example if you make a point of leaving the safety on and finger out of trigger guard until the gun is not pointed at you anymore, you shouldn't have to worry about shooting yourself. It's easy to get lax when chasing a speed gain, but it's also easy to stop and think about it and un-lax yourself. Broncman's thoughtful post should serve as a helpful reminder for us to stop and think about it.

3 hours ago, Broncman said:

Ha! I quit riding dirt bikes at about 38-40 after being laid up from a crash....

Chasing my son on a hare scramble type run.

Life is fatal. None of us get out alive. Just hope a get a long ride out of it!

And I quit church softball after a concussion and some loose teeth from a collision!

Shooting is much safer!

Get well soon