Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advise for first Precision Rifle purchase

kmaultsby

Looking to purchase my first precision rifle and optics.  My budget is around 3K.  I am looking at the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6mm a Bergara or Savage 110 tactical, 10 BRS or other.  I reload so that not is an issue.  My other sport is I shoot IDPA and USPSA.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

I just sold my Howa Bravo because I don’t have the range to shoot it, but all the instructors at my long range class were impressed and I outshot guys with Beregas and Rugers. 

Spend the $2k saved on ammo and training. Snipers Hide is the go to forum, also great classified ads there.

I don’t think it gave up any shooting ability to the custom rifles but admittedly the expensive stuff is sexy.

Edited by Frankly

You can buy a very high quality rifle from Masterpiece Arms for about 2K. Either 6.5 or 6mm Creedmoor will serve you well. That rifle would also allow you to shoot in production division if you wish. The problem will be that only leaves you 1k for an optic. That's going to be tough but buy the best you can afford and upgrade later. Otherwise you will go down the path so many others have travelled. That is you buy a rifle that you think you like and shoot it for a couple of seasons then buy the rifle you should have bought in the first place.

Not to be a nag but head over to  SnipersHide.com and join the forum, 1000x more PRS stuff

Let me second this advice, Snipershide is the place you want to go to get this info. Also for your price you can get a high quality scope and rifle from someone who is getting out of PRS. Also stick with the 6mm. You will not be disappointed. I shoot a 6 Dasher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hit a PRS match or two or three and check out all the rifles, and scopes.  best way to see what might work for you.  most everyone will let you fondle their rifles and scopes and some if not most will let you even shoot them (after the match or in down time).

For a cheaper gun I really like my Tikka in a McMillan stock. Factory threaded the trigger and stock options are nice and no gunsmith more. Remington actions can be amazing but will likely require gunsmithing depending on what you want down. I’m on the hide and it’s a great place to buy used also. I would hop on there and take a lot you won’t be disappointed

• 2 weeks later...

@kmaultsby I was in similar shoes early this year and stumbled onto the John Hancock from PVA.  I'm still waiting on the JHR (damn ATF) but the feedback from the Nucleus action seems pretty solid.  Like you, I do USPSA and some 3gun so while the wait hasn't been ideal, I wouldn't really use the rifle until later this fall anyway.  

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/john-hancock-bolt-action/

http://forum.snipershide.com/threads/new-production-rifle-from-pva-j-hancock.6868424/

Tikka T3 TAC A1 is a decent turnkey rifle that really requires nothing and is easy to find in 6.5mm or .260. I've seen a number of newer shooters show up, zero them, and start hammering 12" plates at 800 and 1000 with little effort. I have not seen one that did not shoot. I was so impressed with the last one I saw that I got a .260 instead of rebarreling an existing rifle. 

I went with a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5cm. I wanted to get into a chassis rifle and the RPR was the most economical solution for me.  I have a friend who went with a Tikka T3 in 6.5cm and it's a very nice rifle. I went with a vortex scope and my friend went with a Leupold. Both rifles shoot great and both work well for PRS. My experience with savage has been positive both rifles I owned shot very well, the only problem I have with savage is there isn't many aftermarket options unless you are replacing barrels. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 9:28 PM, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I would be very inclined to pick up the Patriot Valley Arms John Hancock rifle 

Just an update to this, Patriot Valley has their ATF variance request and are finally receiving JH actions from ARC.  Josh will start on the first 50 orders here shortly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 8:03 AM, Stuey said:

Let me second this advice, Snipershide is the place you want to go to get this info. Also for your price you can get a high quality scope and rifle from someone who is getting out of PRS. Also stick with the 6mm. You will not be disappointed. I shoot a 6 Dasher.

I also recommended snipershide. You can pick up a used custom for a good price and you will be able to get your money back out of it. I would highly recommend staying with the 6mm. I'd recommend a 6br or 6brai over the dasher only for less brass work. Load up 6br and go shoot.   You want a first focal plane scope. 

3k is plenty of cash to get you in the game.  do your self a huge favor and go to a match and see what you like.  there are a million options out there: stock vs chassis, 700 vs tikka vs custom actions, short vs long barrels, heavy vs stupid heavy barrels

i shoot a defiance deviant tactical in 243 with heavy palma krieger barrel, sitting in a Manners T6A with mini chassis

PRS folks like most shooters are happy to let you see their rigs

TTPM Feb2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My savage 10 in 6.5 shoots lights out. Blueprinted action from the factory, 1lb trigger, quarter moa accuracy with handloads, 1/2, with factory. I got mine when they were doing a 150 rebate, so it ended up being like 750 bucks. People pay thousands and thousands of dollars for this type of accuracy. I really like the tikka tac t3 a1, but from here I’d go to a full custom rifle. Tikka is double the price as the savage and I can’t imagine shoots better, but probably shoots close to as good. I topped mine with a vortex viper pst ffp 6-24 that was refurbished for 675, so all together I’m in for less then 1500 bucks and I outshoot all the guys with 7k custom rigs. 

Get a Tikka (IMO as close to a custom action as you can get), then find a good used scope on Snipers Hide Forum. You can get a solid scope, the glass won't be the best but if it is solid and reliable then you can always upgrade glass later down the road.

• 8 months later...

I bought a new RPR in 6mm creedmore and put a Vortex Viper PST GEN II 5-25X, MILS on it for an entry level gun. It shoots/groups very well even with my reloads- 108 gr ELD Hornady bullets out to 1100 yards. Total cost for the gun, scope and rings was about $1800. If you really get into PRS upgrade and sell the RPR.

• 1 month later...