Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai, CKarms, Eddie Garcia, limcat

Mlussoro

8 hours ago, bluedevil008 said:

While I know that my builder will answer the phone (Atlas), I wouldn't necessarily make it a requirement.  I understand people have lives and separation of business and family time is a good thing.  That said, I've used the after hours contact A LOT, but I am also a serious shooter and am shooting every week.  If you're not as serious, maybe good customer service is all you need, not necessarily 24/7.  In which case, I think you'd be set with any of those builders.

Try your best to play with some guns from each, spend 15 minutes talking on the phone and then decide.  I think in 2018, any of those players are a solid bet.

I agree. Let’s just say I shipped my gun in on dec 21 an didn’t even know it was there until January 9. An love seen all his post on fb post for 3 weeks. 5 k gun for all I knew was laying in the snow 

12 hours ago, Mlussoro said:

Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice guys, I’m going to ponder 3 builders and make a decision here in the next week

Where do you live? Maybe there is a well known builder closer to you than the ones you are pondering. While most builders offer great after sale service and warranties it still costs you $100 to ship it to them. So if you are 3-4 hours away from a builder you could drive there in a pinch.

Also, don’t discount a local unknown gunsmith. We have a local smith near me who does awesome work out of his garage. Turns out he builds everything from precision rifle to Single stacks for shooters all over the world.

3 hours ago, 36873687 said:

I agree. Let’s just say I shipped my gun in on dec 21 an didn’t even know it was there until January 9. An love seen all his post on fb post for 3 weeks. 5 k gun for all I knew was laying in the snow 

They aren't always the most proactive with communication, I learned that early on.  So i just bug them whenever I am curious or need something and they are super quick to respond and are very helpful.

hey Mike, it's Mark.... I don't know nuthin' bout open guns, but Tresa and I were doing similar research to decide on new limited guns. We ended up ordering a pair of Atlas Titans to be delivered sometime in august, and here's why:

1. excellent reputation among skilled people I trust and have shot with. Also excellent rep among people I don't know and will never meet here on enos.

2. i handled Zach Campbell's limited and open guns, and Tim Herron's singlestack gun, and was very impressed with the worksmanship and accuracy.

3. what we wanted was pretty much their stock gun. All I changed was going to a single-sided safety since we both hate ambi-safeties.

4. 60-day wait time for what is essentially a semi-custom.

Price wise they aren't too unreasonable when you consider what you get. Add a pt-evo metal grip and fitting to a DVC and you're within a couple hundo of the price of the Atlas. 

I have so much money in upgrades into my CK that I could have just bought an Atlas Chaos to start with.   If I had it to do over, that is what I would do, but before I bought the CK I had never owned a 1911/2011 based gun, so I bought a Rock Island TCM to practice my disassembly techniques on before I tried them on my CK.  If I'd already been a 1911/2011 guy from the start, I would have saved money and time just going Atlas.

6 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

I have so much money in upgrades into my CK that I could have just bought an Atlas Chaos to start with.   If I had it to do over, that is what I would do, but before I bought the CK I had never owned a 1911/2011 based gun, so I bought a Rock Island TCM to practice my disassembly techniques on before I tried them on my CK.  If I'd already been a 1911/2011 guy from the start, I would have saved money and time just going Atlas.

Tip...if money is part of the equation, don’t buy a gun to learn how to disassemble/reassemble it. Buy what you want to begin with and watch some YouTube vids

4 hours ago, drewbeck said:

Tip...if money is part of the equation, don’t buy a gun to learn how to disassemble/reassemble it. Buy what you want to begin with and watch some YouTube vids

It was a dual purpose for me as I built the Rock Island TCM into a limited gun for my girlfriend.   Also, when I got into open I didn't even know about the Atlas Chaos. 

50 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

It was a dual purpose for me as I built the Rock Island TCM into a limited gun for my girlfriend.   Also, when I got into open I didn't even know about the Atlas Chaos. 

How did it turn out?  

No judgement, I thought I’d used every excuse/explanation possible with the wife on why I “needed” a gun but learning to disassemble one hasn’t been in my list, I’m gonna add it for the future ?

6 minutes ago, drewbeck said:

How did it turn out?  

No judgement, I thought I’d used every excuse/explanation possible with the wife on why I “needed” a gun but learning to disassemble one hasn’t been in my list, I’m gonna add it for the future ?

It turned out pretty well as far as I am concerned.   The hardest part was cutting 1/4" off of the bottom of the grip to fit the magwell that was made for a different model of Rock Island. 

0707181042-2080x1170.jpg

9 hours ago, Scott Steele said:

Look at the Phoenix Trinity Hondo.
Not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these guns even out yet?  Haven't heard a single thing about these since the month following SHOT.

10 hours ago, bluedevil008 said:

Are these guns even out yet?  Haven't heard a single thing about these since the month following SHOT.

They are giving one away at a match somewhere but I forget where. 

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Lone Star Innovations. Glen builds excellent guns and is a great guy. He is now also making his own metal 2011 grips. I can’t wait to get one. You would doing yourself a great disservice if you didn’t look LSI as you are considereing builds. 

42 minutes ago, Tan40 said:

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Lone Star Innovations. Glen builds excellent guns and is a great guy. He is now also making his own metal 2011 grips. I can’t wait to get one. You would doing yourself a great disservice if you didn’t look LSI as you are considereing builds. 

Not everybody loves Lone Star.  He does have a nice base of loyal fans, though.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, Scott Steele said:

Look at the Phoenix Trinity Hondo.
Not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these even out in the wild yet? Intriguing for sure, but I'm not sure about the glock style lock up in a 2011, but damn if that isn't a cool set up and a deal with all the included mags.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Sarge said:

Where do you live? Maybe there is a well known builder closer to you than the ones you are pondering. While most builders offer great after sale service and warranties it still costs you $100 to ship it to them. So if you are 3-4 hours away from a builder you could drive there in a pinch.

Also, don’t discount a local unknown gunsmith. We have a local smith near me who does awesome work out of his garage. Turns out he builds everything from precision rifle to Single stacks for shooters all over the world.

agree 100%.  Find a local guy.  

• 4 months later...

Just my personal observation... The most grossly machined, poorly treated in manufacturing, 2011 I have ever seen came was a model from Akai. They cost a lot of money and I would expect a great deal more. 

Edited by ACree

1 hour ago, ACree said:

Just my personal observation... The most grossly machined, poorly treated in manufacturing, 2011 I have ever seen came was a model from Akai. They cost a lot of money and I would expect a great deal more. 

Not been my experience over three of Shays' pistols!