Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akai, CKarms, Eddie Garcia, limcat

Mlussoro

Bout to have an open gun built, can’t decide wife gave up said buy what you want!   

What do all the 2011 shooters recommend?

Ive been told don’t by this, or buy this blah blah way to many options right now need to narrow it down . 

I was stuck on not buying an STI DVC, and getting a CK arms, then I got talked into looking at Akai’s new Guns !   Help lol

All the ones you mentioned make build really good pistols. They all look different so if you going spend the money, you should get something that you like to look at also. Find the builder that will take the time to talk with you about your new build. 

Eddie Garcia had a hand in building my two open guns when he was with Ed (very happy with the results). Good luck in deciding. 

3 hours ago, Mlussoro said:

Bout to have an open gun built, can’t decide wife gave up said buy what you want!   

What do all the 2011 shooters recommend?

Ive been told don’t by this, or buy this blah blah way to many options right now need to narrow it down . 

I was stuck on not buying an STI DVC, and getting a CK arms, then I got talked into looking at Akai’s new Guns !   Help lol

AKAI is mech. eng. he knows what to do.

he is very good gunsmith and has very good reputation.

Every gun at some point and time is going to have failures. 

I don't care what anyone says about this brand never jams etc etc. 

It's mechanical, something is going to give at some point. I've seen just as many Infinitys, Akais, Atlas jam as CK, LimCat, STI, etc. 

Every company will say their gun is the best and the most custom blah blah blah. 

Like others have said. Pick the company that you like best and or that gives you the time of day to talk to you over someone else that might not. 

My first two OPEN guns were the cheapest guns possible -

got two TruBors.

Love them - need a racker and they're all set to go - no longer

available, but I like CHEAP - As Honkey said, they ALL fail at

some point - they're just guns.

If you have lots of $$$ you don't need - go for pretty - some of these

gunsmiths are artists - but my TruBor's keep on ticking    :) 

1 hour ago, Honkeymcgee said:

Every gun at some point and time is going to have failures. 

I don't care what anyone says about this brand never jams etc etc. 

It's mechanical, something is going to give at some point. I've seen just as many Infinitys, Akais, Atlas jam as CK, LimCat, STI, etc. 

Every company will say their gun is the best and the most custom blah blah blah. 

Like others have said. Pick the company that you like best and or that gives you the time of day to talk to you over someone else that might not. 

Personally, I would not choose any of them.
That's why I took something, manufactured close to home and with service. And it was also the cheapest.?

I went with Akai because he was recommended by some high level shooters that I know. He took the time to go through what I wanted and what I thought I wanted/needed but really didn't. 

I know have 2 and they run great. Like others have said pick one you like the looks of, or better that has a good reputation and is close to you, because again as above they will fail. If you have the smith close to you, its easier and less expensive to ship and get fixed. But, I will give +2 for Akai.

Edited by TRPOperator

3 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Or go to Shooter's Connection and have youre CKARMS open gun on Monday.

I am so close to ordering the thunder, or atlas chaos.  Do U have any experience with CK? 

Here's a suggestion............ Call each builder after hours on a Friday night and see who picks up. Whoever is there willing to help after hours is the dude you want supporting your gun for years to come. 

20 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Here's a suggestion............ Call each builder after hours on a Friday night and see who picks up. Whoever is there willing to help after hours is the dude you want supporting your gun for years to come. 

This is awsome 

Not sure that I place the same emphasis on builder support that many of you

are talking about.

I bought one TruBor from each of two different Texas smiths - and have NEVER 

returned a gun to either of them.

Yes, they've needed springs and other mods, but I always had them done by

local smiths.   Never sent them back to the original smith.   Seems to have

worked out okay for the past 11 years    :) 

Of course, I'm the same way with my automobile - I NEVER bring it back to

the Dealer - always bring it to an independent mechanic - Much Cheaper

in the long run.

Guess I got lucky, twice, but never had a problem covered by warranty.

Little things needed attention, and rather than shipping it across

country, I drove it to my Local guy (actually guys)    :) 

Have you had something go wrong that was covered by warranty ?

7 hours ago, Mlussoro said:

I am so close to ordering the thunder, or atlas chaos.  Do U have any experience with CK? 

Of course I do, or I would not have recommended them.  I have 3 with another on the way.  2 competition guns and 2 duty guns

12 hours ago, yigal said:

Personally, I would not choose any of them.
That's why I took something, manufactured close to home and with service. And it was also the cheapest.?

I feel ya bud. 

I built my own from parts, did all the fitting and machining myself. 

No one to blame but me when it doesn't run. 

2 hours ago, Honkeymcgee said:

I feel ya bud. 

I built my own from parts, did all the fitting and machining myself. 

No one to blame but me when it doesn't run. 

yes?

but not everybody can do all this professionally ,so they need good gunsmith.

8 hours ago, 36873687 said:

This is awsome 

While I know that my builder will answer the phone (Atlas), I wouldn't necessarily make it a requirement.  I understand people have lives and separation of business and family time is a good thing.  That said, I've used the after hours contact A LOT, but I am also a serious shooter and am shooting every week.  If you're not as serious, maybe good customer service is all you need, not necessarily 24/7.  In which case, I think you'd be set with any of those builders.

Try your best to play with some guns from each, spend 15 minutes talking on the phone and then decide.  I think in 2018, any of those players are a solid bet.

A local gunsmith is a big deal unless you buy two identical and can deal with shipping time.  See who your local competition gunsmith is and what he suggests if not his own build.  

The “best” gun runs and is made of metal and marketing.  There are many smiths that build them from metal and they run well,  without being the best with regards to the marketing aspect of the game.

just saying