Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Moon Clips

TFT_Guns_Up

https://www.doublealpha.biz/daa-stainless-929-moon-clip-pack-of-10

come in .035 and/or .040

.040 are nice and tight but the .035 work well also. Your 3 that came with the gun are probably .035.

Also available from Numrich Arms (now Gun Parts Corp) for something like $2.50/ea. They are .035

I also use RIMZ for practice. No issues with them. Work great and super easy to load and unload! Worth a look.

Edited by Dr. Phil

So I picked up my 929 today, it came with moon clips. I’m gonna need more than 3, which are the the best ones to get? I’m getting a BMT loader/unloader too

Moon-clips:

In order to improve my accuracy on a 40 yard target I cocked my revolver hammer for a single action shot. The cylinder froze after a slight rotation. The hammer had moved back halfway and also refused to move; pulling the trigger had no effect. This was during an IPSC (USPSA) Provincial competition with 200+ watching the final stages of my course of fire. This had never happened to me, nor had I ever heard of it ever occurring to anyone else. Revolves are supposed to be profoundly reliable? Keeping it safely downrange I tried to solve the problem. This was the last of 16 stages and 210 rounds. It was a scorcher of a hot day and we were all thirsty. Time was moving. “Slap and Rack” was all I could think of, from my old pistol days. Therefore I decided force might be the solution. While pointing (not aiming) downrange and my finger off the trigger, attempting to close the cylinder, I hit hard against it with the palm of my hand: BANG. I was DQ (disqualified) due to an AD (accidental discharge). Total embarrassment and confusion...

I was using factory ammo (Federal) and none of the casings showed extended primers.

The only potential cause of this issue was that I had leaned hard against a barricade during the course of fire and BENT the next moon-clip to be reloaded, which caused the cylinder to refuse rotation....

Competition moon-clips: I use

https://www.tkcustom.com/products/swn929x8-9mm-035-ss

Practice moon-clips: I use

http://www.revolversupply.com/moon-clip-9-mm-and-38-super-s-w-929-blued-finish/

Imperative, Moon clip checker:

http://www.revolversupply.com/moon-clip-checker-9-mm-s-w-929/

magnetic moon clip holder

[/url]

BMT loader/unloader.

Home Depot has neat storage containers which I store all loaded clips. Great to transport to and from range. If I miss a used clip I can see the empty space and know to go look for it. Usually someone picked it up, put it on a table or bench, not knowing who was the owner:

17 Compartment Portable Storage Box, Red

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.17-compartment-portable-storage-box-red.1001052027.html

All above for S&W 929, 610 and Ruger Redhawk 45 ACP/Colt.

Good shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We bought the 50 pack .040 from DAA.  Couldn’t be happier 

https://www.doublealpha.biz/daa-stainless-929-moon-clip-pack-of-50

I just realized these weren’t made by TK. Learned something new.

I had a hell of a time getting the BMT mooner to unload nickel plated brass.  Had to use the old style stripper.  The nickel brass is mostly WIN with some RP’s thrown in.

Personally I would try a few samples of what ever moon clip you decide on before buying a whole bunch. I keep repeating myself sorry but I have (2) 929s. One likes .035 moons, the other .040 

.040 are very tight in the one I use .035 in. I get light strikes if I use .035 in the one that likes .040

Pain in the * but not as bad as light strikes.

Finally bent my first .40 TK clip today. Stepped on it in some gravel. These things are usually impervious, which is a pretty important factor when selecting them. I've stepped on some before with no problems. But I have a buddy that uses thinner ones and they bend if you look at them funny.

First pick a brand of brass.  Then order TK clips to fit.  In my case I had a bunch of Win brass that was from before 9mm Major so I bought those clips.  Do not use random brass and expect good results.  Settle on a brand (Win and Fed work in the same clip) then get the right clips.  Watched someone have major problems at a Level 2 match because of range pickup brass and cheap clips.

Paul Beck

Another vote for the Revolver Supply .040  extreme moonclips. I use them with F-C brass and have had good results. In addition, they are less expensive than the TK moonclips, which is important when buying 50 at a time.. I bought 50 so I can load up for an entire match ahead of time rather than load and unload during a match. Lets me stay focused on shooting the match.

I too used the Revolver Supply Co.  moon clips.  I had enough to get me through any major match without having to worry about reloading  no matter how many stages there were.   It's a great company to do business with.  I particularly like their moon clip loader, the Pocket Loader.  Different arbors let it work with any size moons you have.

13 hours ago, paul788 said:

First pick a brand of brass.  Then order TK clips to fit.  In my case I had a bunch of Win brass that was from before 9mm Major so I bought those clips.  Do not use random brass and expect good results.  Settle on a brand (Win and Fed work in the same clip) then get the right clips.  Watched someone have major problems at a Level 2 match because of range pickup brass and cheap clips.

Paul Beck

Paul has the right idea here. Separate the brass and go with clips that fit securely. Eliminate the variables in your equipment so you can focus on the shooting. 

I spend an incredible amount of time sorting brass over the off season so it's one less thing to worry about when it's time to work. Level of preparation is proportional to level of finish.  

• 1 year later...
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:58 AM, MWP said:

Paul has the right idea here. Separate the brass and go with clips that fit securely. Eliminate the variables in your equipment so you can focus on the shooting. 

I spend an incredible amount of time sorting brass over the off season so it's one less thing to worry about when it's time to work. Level of preparation is proportional to level of finish.  

That is wisdom that goes far beyond brass and moonclip combos!

Jason

It's a never-ending process. I use the same headstamp brass for practice/matches and my brass is up to 7-8 loadings.  I've got a second batch going but I'll need to get ~10k before I can use that pile for 7-8 times.  I then can combine the whole lot for ~24k pieces.  Should be good for a few years.

There is a difference when I loaded the newer once fired brass for the IRC.  I did have to adjust the seating die a little.