Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers choise

wingnut

• 5 months later...

Shot 50,000 Tula and Wolf  primers thru one gun never a problem ran out of them and loaded Winchester small rifle that I had and encountered pitting around my firing pin hole at the breech face. Had to send the slide off to Clarks for breech face bushing repair great that they do that as it is a Matt McClearn open gun. CCI 400s now.  Caught a bad batch of Winchester primers.

Edited by TONY BARONE
Additions for clarification

36 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Why does that matter?

I'm really new to open.

Some Open shooters use rifle primers because they're typically thicker and don't flatten as much with higher pressure loads, I on the other hand prefer to use pistol primers so I can see pressure signs as they develop and because anecdotally I believe they seal the primer pockets better preventing breech face erosion.  I have never experienced breech face erosion on any of my pistols and have used SPP almost exclusively.

25 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Some Open shooters use rifle primers because they're typically thicker and don't flatten as much with higher pressure loads, I on the other hand prefer to use pistol primers so I can see pressure signs as they develop and because anecdotally I believe they seal the primer pockets better preventing breech face erosion.  I have never experienced breech face erosion on any of my pistols and have used SPP almost exclusively.

Thanks for the explanation!

Also, soft pistol primers can can crater and shave metal that can fill the firing pin channel and stick the pin. I'm splitting the difference and using Fed. SP Magnum primers in my open loads. I've read they are supposed to be identical to FSR in different packaging, but don't know for sure.

I used WSP in my Steel gun and had a bunch, so when I started loading for my Open gun to make major I tried them. Maybe it's my load but they seemed to flatten way to much for my liking so I switched to Fed. small rifle for my major loads.