Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does a heavier recoil spring increase the longevity of the slide stop?

ArrDave

I remember reading a post about a year ago of some guys with some high speed science equipment that seemed to suggest the battering of the slide stop happens on the slide closing. 

Topic says it all - would a heavier RS increase or decrease the slide stop life in the 75B (including SP01s, etc)  guns?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, yigal said:

heavier recoil spring increase the longevity of the slide stop.

+1

without    does  - and  -   ?

Have you observed this in your own guns?  What round count are you seeing failure at?

26 minutes ago, ArrDave said:

I must have awful luck, I've broken a handful of those slide stops. 

All in the same gun?

I seem to be about average on CZ 75 s, last one busted at about 7500 rounds ish.

Else had an STI Trojan that would bust them at something like every 4000 rounds until STI refit the gun under warranty. 

54 minutes ago, ArrDave said:

I must have awful luck, I've broken a handful of those slide stops. 

Based on internet feedback, it appears we're more likely extremely likely, and in the minority, without suffering broken slide stops. 

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

last one busted at about 7500 rounds ish.

Else had an STI Trojan that would bust them at something like every 4000 rounds until STI refit the gun under warranty. 

On that CZ that is like two cases of projectiles... and that is ridiculous. CZ blows.  Sti blows too,  but at least they repaired the shity gun they threw together one Friday afternoon. 

Edited by 3gunDQ

8 hours ago, ArrDave said:

Have you observed this in your own guns?  What round count are you seeing failure at?

that depends on ammo too. stronger  pf  ammo brake them  faster.

i asked from shooters in shooting club menage registration of ammo qty. they shoot in all cz guns.

we use same factory ammo with pf  ~135-142   9mm.

in tso that used  recoil springs 11-13lb.    ss. breaks  5-6k  regularly .

in tso that used standard r.s.-16lb it holds 10-15k 

in shadow 1 with 16lb r.s  it holds 7-9k   with 13lb ~5K+

in shadow2  it  never . brakes :lol: . but we don't have them any more.:o

i install in 2 tso ss from one of tanfoglio  models that have same dim. and it still works after 10k.

No question Shadows break slide stops. I have broken one in a Shadow 1 and two in two different S2's. I'm shooting as light a load as I believe will pass chrono. About 132 PF. All the guns have 11 lb recoil springs. 

Where I differ from the original poster is assuming the breakage is on slide closing. You need only inspect a used stop to see the wear on the front side of the pin, not the rear. All three of my failures left the pin breakage pointed toward the grip, not towards the muzzle.

If you look at the design. When is the slide stop stressed?

According to my observation the slide stop is mechanically stressed when the gun goes back into battery (i.e. when the slide travels forward after picking up a new round). The slide travel forward is essentially stopped by the slide stop pin. Without the pin the slide and barrel would continue forward towards the berm.

When slide is moving rearwards during recoil the slide hits the frame and is stopped without slide stop having any effect in the scenario.

You increase the level of stress if you have a strong recoil spring (increase in slide travel speed in that direction) and most definitely if you let the slide slam forward on an empty gun, i.e. without any rounds in the magazine, using e.g. the slide stop release letting the slide slam forward without having any new round being chambered and thus slowing down the action a bit. 

Weaker recoil spring and don't slam the slide forward on an empty gun will prolong slide stop life.

slidestop.JPG

check all cz  broken  ss  and u will see that starting breakage  point is rear (close to mag. ) and not  from front side.  => impact from recoil  much stronger than  forward  impact.

ss has complex forces in 4 different  vector directions  not only back and forward .

cz  use  wrong tech .producing this part. 

u can always take ss from tanfoglio  that made it correct. they have few types: one fit sh1 and other for ts

18 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I use very light recoil springs and have never broken a slide stop.

18 hours ago, thompsoncustom said:

Same here run a 10lb recoil in both my production shadow and open shadow (major). Never broke a slide stop in any cz

I find it strange that "kneelingatlas" and "thompsoncustom" (which have probably owned more cz's then everyone else in this thread combined) havent broke a single slide stop and there running both ends of the extreme minor and major.

So what is the difference between what these guys are doing and everyone else?

2 minutes ago, coolcw1987 said:

I find it strange that "kneelingatlas" and "thompsoncustom" (which have probably owned more cz's then everyone else in this thread combined) havent broke a single slide stop and there running both ends of the extreme minor and major.

So what is the difference between what these guys are doing and everyone else?

Probably just regular maintenance, namely changing out recoil springs, if I'm permitted to speculate. 

Or, as troll master yigal says, they used Tanfo slide stops instead

18 minutes ago, Sliv2 said:

Probably just regular maintenance, namely changing out recoil springs, if I'm permitted to speculate. 

Or, as troll master yigal says, they used Tanfo slide stops instead

sorry i break 2 ss  on cz75 in 1986 since i made them  by myself .

in tanfoglio i shoot 70k  9minor    with light compensator  without breaking it with 13lb rs.

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

Who me?!?  I have so many recoil springs God only know how old they are :roflol:I just dig around in the box, pull out a long one, feel the flex, and roll with it ?

Well I am just starting out, but with a bang as I have recently bought two Parrots, one CM, and already had a TS and a Shadow; plus other light weight CZs.  So I am now in the market for some springs.  For the first time I took my Parrots and CM to the range and tried shooting stock off the shelf ammo.  The CM would seldom cycle and I had to manually clear the spent round and chamber a new one.  The Parrots never cycled.  On the advice of posts here which I followed I was told to try and see if the Parrot/CM would cycle with the stock spring and if not get a lighter one.  Not everyone agreed about how light and 11# seemed to be the average; but maybe not the best choice.  I am looking at going to CZ Custom and getting several 10# and 11# springs for the three weapons.  Cost does not seem to be an issue with these items but I would like to avoid having to dig around in a box to get the right one.  Any advice on what weight you suggest.  I am also fairly sure that the Parrot needs a lighter spring than the CM based on what happened at the range since I was able to get it to cycle several times while the Parrot never cycled.  So maybe I need different weight springs for different weapons.  This CZ stuff is hard to figure out.  At least for me.:unsure:

The Parrot had the compensator on it while the CM did not.

Edited by Tommytwogunz

I broke one in a CZ75 that had thousands on a stock heavy recoil spring. Went to a 10lb spring and shot more rounds than that and it hasn't broke another.

If it is hitting pin on closing, than a heavy spring is gonna slam it harder. On a 9mm TSO, I went to just a pin and have well over 10g rounds thru it and the pin doesn't show much wear. 9lb spring in that gun. But I do use a buffer in it.