Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does a heavier recoil spring increase the longevity of the slide stop?

ArrDave

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Tommytwogunz said:

Well I am just starting out, but with a bang as I have recently bought two Parrots, one CM, and already had a TS and a Shadow; plus other light weight CZs.  So I am now in the market for some springs.  For the first time I took my Parrots and CM to the range and tried shooting stock off the shelf ammo.  The CM would seldom cycle and I had to manually clear the spent round and chamber a new one.  The Parrots never cycled.  On the advice of posts here which I followed I was told to try and see if the Parrot/CM would cycle with the stock spring and if not get a lighter one.  Not everyone agreed about how light and 11# seemed to be the average; but maybe not the best choice.  I am looking at going to CZ Custom and getting several 10# and 11# springs for the three weapons.  Cost does not seem to be an issue with these items but I would like to avoid having to dig around in a box to get the right one.  Any advice on what weight you suggest.  I am also fairly sure that the Parrot needs a lighter spring than the CM based on what happened at the range since I was able to get it to cycle several times while the Parrot never cycled.  So maybe I need different weight springs for different weapons.  This CZ stuff is hard to figure out.  At least for me.:unsure:

The Parrot had the compensator on it while the CM did not.

Tommy, the CM wouldn't cycle factory ammo without the comp?  That surprises me, I suggest an 8# recoil spring.

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

Tommy, the CM wouldn't cycle factory ammo without the comp?  That surprises me, I suggest an 8# recoil spring.

Well I am forced to admit the factory ammo was RNP 9mm Luger 65 grain.  There are hotter factory loads and I will be trying them.  I like the light stuff since my sailing catamaran is only 42 feet long and the hull is probably less than1/2 inch thick which means probably even that load would put a hole in it if my aim was off in repelling the Pirates of the Caribbean.

I also will be shooting heavier loads in the local matches (maybe) so it looks like in any case I need to play around with springs and get a box like yours.:bow:

check all cz  broken  ss  and u will see that starting breakage  point is rear (close to mag. ) and not  from front side.  => impact from recoil  much stronger than  forward  impact.
ss has complex forces in 4 different  vector directions  not only back and forward .
cz  use  wrong tech .producing this part. 
u can always take ss from tanfoglio  that made it correct. they have few types: one fit sh1 and other for ts
Yigal, please, which Tanfo ss will fit my TSO?

Do you have a part number for the correct ss?

in tan. new catalog   it's  :slide stop pin for polymer frame   pro15p

i took it from polymer model   "force plus" 

buffer don't increase s.s  service  life  only  prevent battering and increase slide  life.

תוצאת תמונה עבור ‪bul cherokee 9mm‬‏

Edited by yigal

in tan. new catalog   it's  :slide stop pin for polymer frame   pro15p
i took it from polymer model   "force plus" 
buffer don't increase s.s  service  life  only  prevent battering and increase slide  life.
377193_02_full_size_bul_cherokee_9mm_mad_640.jpg
Thanks and appreciate your info on recoil buffers. I was surprised my new 9mm TSO came with spare set of buffers and one already installed in the pistol.

I have two Tan. In 10mm. The recoil spring was lighter in the Match was lighter for 10mm models than for 9mm. I replaced the 14 pound with a 20.

The 10mm Limited Pro must have had a 12 pound. It was hammering hard. Put a 20 pound in it also. 

I think a heavier spring saves the pin. The slide going into battery is slowed by the next round being loaded into chamber. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:43 PM, Tommytwogunz said:

Well I am forced to admit the factory ammo was RNP 9mm Luger 65 grain.  There are hotter factory loads and I will be trying them.  I like the light stuff since my sailing catamaran is only 42 feet long and the hull is probably less than1/2 inch thick which means probably even that load would put a hole in it if my aim was off in repelling the Pirates of the Caribbean.

I also will be shooting heavier loads in the local matches (maybe) so it looks like in any case I need to play around with springs and get a box like yours.:bow:

Just got my new 10# springs from CZ.  Hope I don't get kicked for this but a big part of the delay was related to my new Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor adventure.  Really wanted that round and CZ does not seem to have a long gun that shoots it.  In any case I took my new 24" ss barrel Tikka CTR to the range.  Have to say it is a real keeper.  Also took one of my Parrots and my CM with kinda stock 115 grain 9mm.  Went through three mags with each.  Only 4 ftfs which were easy to fix by pulling the slide back a little and seating it.  No comp on the CM but there was one on the Parrot.  Have to say the comp really makes a huge difference.  Even with a sore shoulder (the Creedmoor does have a kick) from 60 round sighting in and shooting small 5 shoot groups I was easily able to control the Parrot.  Have to think after I shoot a couple of hundred rounds the stock spring may well not need to be replaced.  Had to share the last 10 shots from the Tikka.

Range01.jpg

In 4 years of shooting CZ pistols for 90% of my competitive pistol shooting I have broken, across all CZ guns

3 front sights, all at the set screw location on dawson sights

1 adj rear sight, at the up/down adj screw

2 trigger return springs,  in sp01 shadow and accu shadow

1 slide stop, in a sp01 shadow

1 extractor in an accu shadow

1 barrel where the lands and grooves were twice as wide at the throat as the crown and had a slight change in external diameter

That is it.  Over 100k rounds across 8 CZ pistols in that time frame.

In one year of 18k rounds on a Glock 34 I broke two trigger return springs and a locking lug and an extractor spring.

Edited by rowdyb

I'm nowhere near as long a history or as many guns as you.  I've done 2 slide stops (both in my practice SP01 shadow) and 3 TRS's - 2 in my practice SP-01 and 1 in my 75 Compact the first week I had it where I cranked on double action like a monkey in dry fire.

Oh and 2 shattered FPRP - both in that same compact. 

nearly 3 years across 7 CZ's.  only about 35k rounds as 3 of those models are HD/Carry pieces.  The other 2 were my old SP01 shadows, and I upgraded them to my new Shadow 2's.  Other than figuring out the hardway dry fire damages the FPB models all the parts breakages were on my old training gun which has about half the rounds reported on it. 

On 2/21/2018 at 12:24 PM, ArrDave said:

I remember reading a post about a year ago of some guys with some high speed science equipment that seemed to suggest the battering of the slide stop happens on the slide closing. 

Topic says it all - would a heavier RS increase or decrease the slide stop life in the 75B (including SP01s, etc)  guns?

I was at Magnus and JJ had TS orange 40

Great for limited but I didn't want to deal with broken slide stops, he immediately mentions that you mill the back side of the slide where the recoil spring goes (almost like stroking) and that will take the pressure off the slide stop and they shouldn't break.

give him a call

4 hours ago, gsc0tt said:

I was at Magnus and JJ had TS orange 40

Great for limited but I didn't want to deal with broken slide stops, he immediately mentions that you mill the back side of the slide where the recoil spring goes (almost like stroking) and that will take the pressure off the slide stop and they shouldn't break.

give him a call

can u explain please  to primitive man  like me  what is the  connection between  stroked  slide to slide stop pin breakage .?;)

Edited by yigal

91741.jpg

Material removed from this edge, lets recoil spring absorb more impact and less stress transfer from slide to frame to slide stop

I'm paraphrasing, so give him a call

2 minutes ago, gsc0tt said:

91741.jpg

Material removed from this edge, lets recoil spring absorb more impact and less stress transfer from slide to frame to slide stop

I'm paraphrasing, so give him a call

impact to slide stop came from the barrel cam  after it finish  to travel  with the  slide during the lock up .

there is no connection between  stroked slide  and slide stop. only the speed that barrel cam hit the slide stop in both directions.:o

23 minutes ago, yigal said:

impact to slide stop came from the barrel cam  after it finish  to travel  with the  slide during the lock up .

there is no connection between  stroked slide  and slide stop. only the speed that barrel cam hit the slide stop in both directions.:o

Call JJ

I’m honestly surprised someone hasn’t made an aftermarket hardened (then precisely tempered) one out of chromoly or tool steel or something.

There’s a huge market. Hell maybe they looked and it it’s not a materials issue: perhaps the CZ one is expertly machined and hardened, the guns just load it excessively.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

8 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’m honestly surprised someone hasn’t made an aftermarket hardened (then precisely tempered) one out of chromoly or tool steel or something.

There’s a huge market. Hell maybe they looked and it it’s not a materials issue: perhaps the CZ one is expertly machined and hardened, the guns just load it excessively.

much better for gun companies to sell  spare gun parts ,than to produce  perfect parts that will never break.

broken S.STOP can damage barrel lower lug and break frame .

From an engineering standpoint, There will more than likely always be a weak link. I’d think the part is already pretty hard but I have not put a file to mine to test it. I’d rather replace a slide stop than chew up the barrel pivot point or wallow out the hole in the frame. But again, I’ve not had any problems with either of my Shadows. I just replace that part every year or two as a matter of maintenance. 

18 hours ago, yigal said:

There are points related to stroking that maybe can have an impact.

E.g. the speed of which the slide travels, especially the speed at the end of travel in any direction. If that is just a tad less than without stroking you can decrease the forces that are exerted on the slide stop during lock up.

In theory you should be able to use a lighter recoil spring in a stroked gun and still get reliable feeding because the force needed for e.g. chambering the round (strip it from the magazine, push it up the feed ramp etc.) is still accumulated in the lighter spring since it is compressed further. The same lighter spring will most likely also have a little less travel speed at the end of the motion since the lighter spring exerts less force (equals speed) at the very end of the travel compared to a "stronger" spring with less travel.

Just my view on it explained short and somewhat fuzzy....

1 hour ago, Sdlrodeo said:

I’d rather replace a slide stop than chew up the barrel pivot point or wallow out the hole in the frame. 

Valid in the CZ’s case. However, every other firearm manufacturer out there manages to make that a lifetime service component without issue. So it’s certainly possible that a tool steel or similarly tough component might make that happen in the Shadow, too.

34 minutes ago, Ludde said:

There are points related to stroking that maybe can have an impact.

E.g. the speed of which the slide travels, especially the speed at the end of travel in any direction. If that is just a tad less than without stroking you can decrease the forces that are exerted on the slide stop during lock up.

In theory you should be able to use a lighter recoil spring in a stroked gun and still get reliable feeding because the force needed for e.g. chambering the round (strip it from the magazine, push it up the feed ramp etc.) is still accumulated in the lighter spring since it is compressed further. The same lighter spring will most likely also have a little less travel speed at the end of the motion since the lighter spring exerts less force (equals speed) at the very end of the travel compared to a "stronger" spring with less travel.

Just my view on it explained short and somewhat fuzzy....

about more  reliable feeding and maybe less recoil  with  stroked slides  i agree .

but  slide have lock with barrel only for short time and travel only 4-6 mm together   ,so stroked slide don't INCREASE  S.Stop  life. 

7 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Valid in the CZ’s case. However, every other firearm manufacturer out there manages to make that a lifetime service component without issue. So it’s certainly possible that a tool steel or similarly tough component might make that happen in the Shadow, too.

cz use cheep materials and save manufacturing costs by making  many  parts from castings.

look at the same part from tanfoglio- s.stop.- it's made properly and from better material , so  they say that it holds 70k

imagine that all cz  parts was made from best type of steel . u could shoot 20 years without breaking any parts.:o where is the factory profit from selling  slide stops,barrels,slides,

sears, springs,sights  and other parts.?:lol: