Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manually de-cocking hammers to half cock. Production needs this rule.

threat

38 minutes ago, RJH said:

Haha, yet another ruling that goes against the plain English of the rule book.  Oh well, I guess me and the rule book was wrong :-)

It’s all there in plain English. There is no contradiction

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Sarge said:

It’s all there in plain English. There is no contradiction

The rule book says hammer fully decocked, the ruling says where a decocker drops it is ok.  Many decockers drop the hammer to half cock, which is not fully decocked.  How is that not a contradiction?

11 minutes ago, RJH said:

The rule book says hammer fully decocked, the ruling says where a decocker drops it is ok.  Many decockers drop the hammer to half cock, which is not fully decocked.  How is that not a contradiction?

We are supposed to keep up with Rulings as Shooters and RO’s. Official rulings are just as official as the words written in the book itself. Besides it been in effect since 2014!

11 minutes ago, Sarge said:

We are supposed to keep up with Rulings as Shooters and RO’s. Official rulings are just as official as the words written in the book itself. Besides it been in effect since 2014!

True, but it does still contradict the rule book, not really clarify. I had never  noticed that "clarification," cause I assumed the rule book was clear enough on the subject.  Like I said, I stand corrected.  But hey, if you are going to let one gun go to halfcock might as well let them all.  Before you know it aftermarket triggers, hammers and undercut frames will be legal too.  Haha

Created:
Mar 06, 2008
Effective: Jun 02, 2014
Rule: Appx D4 Spec
Applies to: Pistol
Ruling Authority:,John Amidon
Question:
Does the CZ decocker or others similar, lower the hammer sufficiently to comply with Production division, and if not, how would they comply with the wording in 10.5.9 without being DQ'd?
Ruling:
Manufacturers have installed decockers to take the hammer safely to a position that is deemed safe, therefore; the term fully decocked is the position that the hammer rest at once the decocker has been used. Altering a factory installed decocker to bring the hammer to rest at less than a half cocked position is not allowed.

The big difference everyone seems to miss is decocker guns that drop the hammer to somewhere others than fully decocked are all made specifically to work that way.

This seems to come up all the time with CZs specifically. Most CZ shooters do not get the decocker model because it has a firing pin block and they do not want that as it affects getting the best trigger pull, they get the shadow models because they do not have one. So if your going to argue that all guns shoild be allowed to start at half cock you should probably understand despite looking similar the decocker models are different from a safety standpoint than shadow models.

And for my tanfoglio shooting friends they should probably note that the decocker Tanfoglio's drop the hammer all the way so no half cock argument makes sense there either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP, and how long have you been shooting USPSA? The most common mistake for newbies is trying to make sense out of the rules, or rationalize for their own specific platform. USPSA is not going to change any rule based on one single shooter...... Or even thousands of single shooters.

I dont understand the complaint. Put the hammer all the way down on your gun or decock it to whatever the gun does. If you argue competitive advantage then your argument is going to be thrown out. 

Safety wise I've only ever seen someone fire a round once when decocking. It was me 4 years ago and I learned my lesson. 

Leave the rule how it is. Stop changing things that aren't broken. RJH adequately disputed every one in the second post on here. 

Edited by Dutchman195

So the overall tone I'm getting is we just just accept the rules because "that is the way it is". Or "hasn't been a problem for me so deal with it" .Got it guys.

I don't buy logical inconsistency in rules. The three reasons I've oringinally presented have not been refuted at the central point. 

These points still remain valid.

1. No reason to put hammers all the way down on guns with a half cock notch.
2. De-cocking a gun without having to hold the trigger down until the hammer contacts the FP is safer.
3. Would introduce consistency to hammer position of similar platform guns.

Edited by threat

#1 - How does the half-cock position trigger pull compare to the fully down pull?  I get the same pull from decock or fully down on a DA/SA Sig with a decocker, but I am unfamiliar with CZ/Tanfo.

#2 - If you slip off the hammer while lowering to half-cock, do you really think you can remove your finger from the trigger fast enough to catch the half-cock notch?  You may be marginally less likely to have an AD, but it's not like using a decocking lever vs having to pull the trigger at all.

#3 is irrelevant since you are talking about a Division that mixes hammer-fired with striker-fired.

3 hours ago, threat said:

2. De-cocking a gun without having to hold the trigger down until the hammer contacts the FP is safer.

#2 is purely your opinion. I see no difference in safety.

#1: Yes there is. Pistols that de-cock to half cock generally have firing pin blocks. My P226 does, and the de-cocker CZs have firing pin blocks. The shadow series of CZs do not. Without a firing pin block, the gun can fire if the hammer falls from half cock. This can happen thru dropping the gun on the hammer.

#2: When your hammer is all the way down, the firing pin is generally not long enough to reach the primer. If you drop your non-hammer block gun on the hammer it can't go Bang when it's flat against the frame.

#3: I see no value in this. Buy a different gun.

So the overall tone I'm getting is we just just accept the rules because "that is the way it is". Or "hasn't been a problem for me so deal with it" .Got it guys.

I don't buy logical inconsistency in rules. The three reasons I've oringinally presented have not been refuted at the central point. 

Well I believe I refuted your point with facts quite well bit apparently feelings are more important than facts.

Please show me a manufacturs manual that indicates that you Should manually lower the hammer to half cock, and I will consider changing my opinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

On 2/17/2018 at 12:55 AM, Rjracing said:

I 100% agree with the OP here... trying to get a hammer all the way down on a gun without a decocker isn’t exactly the most safe thing to do. 

Will you cite me a case where a round was fired while doing this? If you want a decocker get your gun converted to that. Meanwhile try to quit suggesting solutions for problems that don't exist. There is no end to someone who wants a rule of their own. Make your gun a decocker and I'm sure you'll be the next Production National Champion.

8 hours ago, Brooke said:

Will you cite me a case where a round was fired while doing this? If you want a decocker get your gun converted to that. Meanwhile try to quit suggesting solutions for problems that don't exist. There is no end to someone who wants a rule of their own. Make your gun a decocker and I'm sure you'll be the next Production National Champion.

Brooke, are you saying there hasn’t been a case of a hammer slipping and causing an AD? I have DQ’ed a few for this and I have witnessed it another 2-3 times

9 hours ago, Brooke said:

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Brooke, are you saying there hasn’t been a case of a hammer slipping and causing an AD? I have DQ’ed a few for this and I have witnessed it another 2-3 times

This ^. I've seen in it happen at a match before too and the guy was DQ'd, it is a potential safety hazard. We don't always get to play in the best of conditions and a wet/damp day is all it might take for an accident to happen. 

1 hour ago, Rjracing said:

This ^. I've seen in it happen at a match before too and the guy was DQ'd, it is a potential safety hazard. We don't always get to play in the best of conditions and a wet/damp day is all it might take for an accident to happen. 

How is it a potential safety hazard? 

2 hours ago, Rjracing said:

I've seen in it happen at a match before too and the guy was DQ'd, it is a potential safety hazard. We don't always get to play in the best of conditions and a wet/damp day is all it might take for an accident to happen. 

It's an additional thing a CZ shooter has to contend with, but you are facing downrange under direct supervision of the RO.  It's no more of a safety hazard than AD'ing during ULSC.  And it's less of a safety hazard than AD'ing while reloading on the move.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

How is it a potential safety hazard? 

I consider fingers/hand behind the slide when the hammer slips and a round goes off a safety hazard too, no?

Edited by Rjracing

10 minutes ago, Rjracing said:

I consider fingers/hand behind the slide when the hammer slips and a round goes off a safety hazard too, no?

Yes. Just like doing quick draws, running with a gun, etc