John Shaw, Anyone Remember Him?

nvmichael

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my husband shot with him in the 80's...he was like a human bench rest, he was so steady in his shooting.,..and really fast!! I guess he is a really good trainer too..some of the guys at Los Alamos (SWAT) have trained under him..

Cheryl :)

John is living up in ID next to Demi Moore and shooting clays alot apparently along with a lot of bird hunting.

Mid-South is a great facility and if you ever get the chance to shoot down there go! The last time I was there, they had 30 bays, 2 kill houses and over 600 steel targets that either were static (rifle), pull reset or auto reset with an air system. Very cool. Got to teach the USPSA junior class there several years ago. Ross and Jim at the range are great guys and run a fantastic range. Most of the time the facility is booked by the military so good luck getting in. They do have a metal mania match every year that would be worth attending if you can.

MISS is a great facility! At one point in the distant pass I tryed to lobby for a Nationals there.

John won a national championship in cowboy; last time I talked to him he was training movie stars up in Idaho.

If you read his *first * book, YOU CAN'T MISS, I co-wrote that with him!

Michael B

• 2 months later...

My most memorable experience with John Shaw was at my first Bianchi Cup. I was in awe of all my heroes. It didn't take long to lose that image. I remember Tom Cambell from S&W was shooting the plates in the match,,, not practice.... He was smart enough to use the prone position whenver he could, including the 15 yd position. Rob Leatham and John Shaw did nothing but bust his balls throughout the stage. If it were me, I wouldve called the Ref and protested foul. They were both yelling at him to "stand up and shoot like a man" and trowing empty brass at him... All the things you never read about in the American Handgunner...i also found out that the rules are different if you are on the super squad, then if you are a nobody... Well, eventually, I remeber hearing that Ray Chapman had enough of John's crap, and threw him out, and told him never to come back.... What ever happen to John Shaw????....... Who cares!!!!

leadpoison:

I shot many times with John and he was and is a great guy...Was at the Nationals when he won it, a very unassuming shooter then..

"you heard that Ray threw him out", doesn't cut it....unless you were there and heard it first hand, hearsay is lame... :angry:

From all my experiences with John he was a first class guy, and as a former National IPSC Champion, he deserves better than "...who cares" .....

Remember BE's requirements, be polite, be nice and it you can't do that, don't post it..

Other than that, welcome to the forum...

I wasn't there so my opinion is worth diddly squat but with the guys I shoot with, if we dislike someone we will quietly talk bad about them behind their back. If we're best friends with someone, we do it to their face. Some of the most offensive language ever directed against me has been from my good friends and while it might seem harsh to an outside observer it's really just friends teasing each other.

I sent an e-mail to a couple guys from my local club yesterday asking if they thought we should buy some new timers for our state match. One of them said yes and sent me a link to a place with a good price on them. The other one told me to quit wasting his time with stupid questions and to be sure to get one that matched my purse. Can you guess which one came from my best friend?

Well guys, sorry to ruffle anyones feathers,,,I guess what really bothered me about the whole thing is this pedestal that I use to hold all these professionals on,, kinda crumbled.. However, the reverse is also true,, I have met many big time professionals who are the biggest,, nicest, gentlemen in the world..They, as John Pride said once, are the true jewels in your life. I spent a number of years out in Missouri, and made the top ten,, top twenty,, with some locals,,, It was a blast. What I said was true,, as I witnessed it,, but everybody uses bad judgement once in awhile, including me,,maybe that was one of those times

My most memorable experience with John Shaw was at my first Bianchi Cup. I was in awe of all my heroes. It didn't take long to lose that image. I remember Tom Cambell from S&W was shooting the plates in the match,,, not practice.... He was smart enough to use the prone position whenver he could, including the 15 yd position. Rob Leatham and John Shaw did nothing but bust his balls throughout the stage. If it were me, I wouldve called the Ref and protested foul. They were both yelling at him to "stand up and shoot like a man" and trowing empty brass at him... All the things you never read about in the American Handgunner...i also found out that the rules are different if you are on the super squad, then if you are a nobody... Well, eventually, I remeber hearing that Ray Chapman had enough of John's crap, and threw him out, and told him never to come back.... What ever happen to John Shaw????....... Who cares!!!!

That's funny. When Rob Leatham (along with Allen Fulford) came over to Germany to shoot the first European Bianchi back in the early 90's, my dad was bustin' HIS balls about going prone on the plates, especially after my dad cleaned 'em and Rob ended up dropping one! :D

You put people on a pedestal and they don't live up to expectations and you fault them? :huh:

Guys like John Shaw helped propel our shooting sports into what they have become today. They are human, fallible, and deserve better than "who cares."

If you want to keep discussing the topic, which is "Where's John Shaw," go right ahead. None of this antagonistic bagging on other shooters needs to be part of this forum. To those of you who have stepped up to the plate in the defense of those shooters thank you. Now lets keep it on topic.

-ld

I remember him. I got to see him shoot at one of the World Shoot-offs in Montrose back in the mid '90s. The dude rocks!

I also own a copy of "Shoot to Win" in very nice condition. :P

I don't know him personally, but if he offered me any shooting advice, I would be very pleased to take it.

I've had the privilige of attending multiple classes at Shaw's facility, have also hunted and socialized with Shaw outside of the class rooom and range. Shaw is a no BS guy, who 20 years ago changed the way LEO and USMIL weapons training was done.

Would he throw brass and taunt another shooter, probably, it's a total mental game to him and he was one of the very best at it.

As far as Ray Chapman telling Shaw to get lost, I met Ray at John's facility in '89 or '90 and they sat around and BS'ed late in the night. Shaw, in his typical manner, said not to waste my money at Chapman's academy and Ray offered to shoot against John right then in an effort to determine who was the better shooter.

Shaw's a legend whose been there and done that, and made a ton of money providing top notch training to alot of individuals who utilize it on a daily basis. He paved the way for the acceptance of practical shooters lending their expertise to the LEO and USMIL training environment.

I've had the privilige of attending multiple classes at Shaw's facility, have also hunted and socialized with Shaw outside of the class rooom and range.  Shaw is a no BS guy, who 20 years ago changed the way LEO and USMIL weapons training was done.

Would he throw brass and taunt another shooter, probably, it's a total mental game to him and he was one of the very best at it.

As far as Ray Chapman telling Shaw to get lost, I met Ray at John's facility in '89 or '90 and they sat around and BS'ed late in the night.  Shaw, in his typical manner, said not to waste my money at Chapman's academy and Ray offered to shoot against John right then in an effort to determine who was the better shooter.

Shaw's a legend whose been there and done that, and made a ton of money providing top notch training to alot of individuals who utilize it on a daily basis.  He paved the way for the acceptance of practical shooters lending their expertise to the LEO and USMIL training environment.

Did they shoot against each other? That would've been pretty cool to see.

I actually had the reverse experience at Mid South when I took a course there in 1999. Absolute worst class I've attended, very little training and mostly just shooting on your own. I would not go back to Mid-South with Ross still there. However, I've heard that they have a new instructor there and he might be worth a try. Great facility. Just wish John was still teaching. He sounds like a good instructor.

• 1 month later...

Lawman,

Ross is still there, but the new instructor is really doing great.

I just happen to know the cat, Rodney May. Not only will he teach you how to shoot, He will show you how. AND it doesn't matter what kind of gun, Long or short.

If you set up a class for your guys, ask for Rodney, you will not be dissapointed.

Hopalong

I first met John at the USPSA Nationals held in PHoenix in 84. John could take a stage apart and come up with the perfect solution.

But the fun time was after the shoot. There was a knife thrower who said he could turn and throw his knife into a hay bail faster than any shooter could turn draw and it a target.

John watched for a while, then made his challenge. Everyone was turning around to make the shot. At that time cross draws were very popular and John just drew down range and shot under his arm. Perfectly safe and a perfect shot. The knife thrower stopped after that.

It was like watching the scene in Magnificent 7.

• 4 years later...

I was reading a book recently by John Shaw. I was wondering what happened to him? I think in the 80s he was a top shooter in his classes. Thanks

John's lving down in Hagerman, Idaho, in his mini-mansion and ows a top water-fowl hunting club for the rich and famous! but he's a really nice guy