Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Use of Metal grips at the top level?

cheers623

Obviously there’s a wave of makers and users alike that are adopting the metal grips on their 2011 clones. However, anyone have any data on how many of the top-level Open guys are using them?

Nils isn’t, Max...nope. Eddie and Keith, nuh uh. Just wondering if they’ve figured out something, since they could have anything they want in their pistols. They still chose the plastic. I’m struggling with this on my Open gun. Got a metal grip...wondering if I should go back? Anyway...thoughts?

I think the question is: are there any new guys with new metal gripped guns pushing these top GMs?

It’s been said many many times... guys like Max have been shooting for decades and aren’t going to switch to something new on a whim....

The migration to micro dots > traditional c-mores has been slow amongst the top guys... metal grip might be too much of a change for them. (Weight in the hands is different with a metal grip vs similar dot sizes when moving away from traditional c-more)

“If it ain’t broke, blah blah blah”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well now...that’s news! Thanks! I’ve got CK grips on my gats right now. Loved the PT EVos I had...but one too many death-jammed magazines in the grip. For some reason I can’t  get the mags stuck in the CK grips, no matter how crappy my reloads. 

27 minutes ago, cheers623 said:

Don't know if I'd go that far...

Me neither. Especially in Open. Personally I would have one on a limited gun but not on my Open gun. Just heavier than it needs to be

On 1/21/2018 at 5:41 AM, cheers623 said:

Well now...that’s news! Thanks! I’ve got CK grips on my gats right now. Loved the PT EVos I had...but one too many death-jammed magazines in the grip. For some reason I can’t  get the mags stuck in the CK grips, no matter how crappy my reloads. 

I've managed to get mags stuck in my CK grip before.  I guess my reloads are worse than yours :)

On 1/20/2018 at 5:48 PM, Shadyscott999 said:

Most of the top open guys are using metal grips.  Cody, Lesgar, Drummond, Tilly, etc etc, etc.  

The list gets pretty long when you start looking, huh? 

KC has steel on his cat. 

A ton of GM Limited shooters are running steel as well.  I’ve even talked with Blake at length about changing, and he hasn’t changed his setup in years. 

Hello: I think it comes down to what they want to try and how much weight they like. Some of those GM's like heavier pistols and some like them light. Most of the top GM's have multiple pistols that they use and may change to depending on the match. If you think you may like a metal grip then you should try one on someone else's pistol if possible. If you think the metal grip will make you a better shooter than you should get one. If you buy one you can always sell it if you don't like it. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I think it comes down to what they want to try and how much weight they like. Some of those GM's like heavier pistols and some like them light. Most of the top GM's have multiple pistols that they use and may change to depending on the match. If you think you may like a metal grip then you should try one on someone else's pistol if possible. If you think the metal grip will make you a better shooter than you should get one. If you buy one you can always sell it if you don't like it. Thanks, Eric

Well...pretty good advice. Try it...and see...

One of the first things Max will tell you in his class is to make your gun as comfortable as it can be for you. 

That may be grip tape, may be a textured plastic grip, maybe steel. 

It's what works best for you personally. 

Benny Hill will tell you a metal grip will make a gun cycle slower. I'm still trying to figure out the physics on that one.

On 1/23/2018 at 6:14 AM, Honkeymcgee said:

One of the first things Max will tell you in his class is to make your gun as comfortable as it can be for you. 

That may be grip tape, may be a textured plastic grip, maybe steel. 

It's what works best for you personally. 

Benny Hill will tell you a metal grip will make a gun cycle slower. I'm still trying to figure out the physics on that one.

No, really.  And Titegroup will melt your barrel.   Yada yada...

3 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Wait...  What?  Just no.  

6 minutes ago, teros135 said:

No, really.  And Titegroup will melt your barrel.   Yada yada...

Haha I'm with y'all. I know he's got some good knowledge but some of the things I hear, just because I run something that he doesn't use are just plain ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Wait...  What?  Just no.  

Buwaaaahhahahhahaha.

I am a fan of the metal grip in the IMM/Mid/shorty set up. I like the weight, but I’m not a bitch man with a purse or skinny jeans so the couple of extra ounces goes unoticed. Once I went metal grip I couldn’t got back.