Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR triggers (2018)

Kettlebell

I have used the following triggers and ranked them based on my experience 

1. Timney 3lb single stage curved (In two different rifles). Well priced. No breakage and have not had a light strike yet. 

2. Elftmann 3gun Curved. Would be first except I have had issues with light strikes since I purchased it using factory ammo such as Hornady, Remington, American Eagle, and Fiocchi. I also had a hammer break during a match (great customer service they sent a new trigger and heavier spring to fix light strikes). I went from having 2-3 light strikes per mag to have 1 light strike per 100-150rds

3. Velocity.  This was my first drop in trigger. It is basically a timney Trigger in a green aluminum housing. 

4. POF. Used in my PCC. Well made but has some creep.

5. Rise Armament 3.5lb. I got two of these in a trade. Probably the cheapest drop in trigger on the market. Has gritty trigger pull. 

6. Fostech Echo version 1. Novelty item. Not really practical. Machining is very rough, and trigger pull is worse than any milspec Trigger. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, crosselot said:

I have used the following triggers and ranked them based on my experience 

1. Timney 3lb single stage curved (In two different rifles). Well priced. No breakage and have not had a light strike yet.  

I have to echo this statement.  I've got about 1000 rounds through my new rifle with this trigger, and I absolutely love it.  No issues what so ever.  No creep, breaks like glass.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Of the triggers me tioned does anyone know which ones have full power hammer springs?

I know the Geisselle all do and Imuse the two stages in all my lr precision rigs.  But for all out speed in 3gun I can see the possible benefits of a faster single stage.  But one thing I have  always required after being bit by light strikes is they must use a full power spring or equivalent etc...

On 5/9/2018 at 4:19 AM, tim_w said:

Of the triggers me tioned does anyone know which ones have full power hammer springs?

I know the Geisselle all do and Imuse the two stages in all my lr precision rigs.  But for all out speed in 3gun I can see the possible benefits of a faster single stage.  But one thing I have  always required after being bit by light strikes is they must use a full power spring or equivalent etc...

The Hiperfire triggers basically have extra power hammer springs due to their design.  The lighter you set the trigger pull, the harder the hammer hits.

On 3/1/2018 at 9:03 AM, bagdrag said:

Anyone know how the Timney AR Calvin and Timney AR Targa compare to the AR Gold and Trigger Tech? 

I have a Calvin and a trigger tech.  

Shot the Calvin in 2 matches so far and it was perfect.  Great reset and felt very good on fast paper and long range.  I really like the adjustable shoe - I thought it was a gimmick when I first saw one but I’m a believer after putting that shoe exactly where it feels best.  

i like the feel of the triggger tech 2nd stage, but after I got it I learned I don’t like 2stage triggers during competition so I moved it to a varmint rifle.  The AR gold is 2 stage so I didn’t consider it.  As an aside my trigger tech had some consistent failure to follow problems in one rifle and they took great care of me helping troubleshoot and giving me every possible option to make it right.  

Argold is my favorite especially if you can get the early ones 

Wouldn’t deal with elfmans had a tuff time with customer service ended up giving the trigger away to a kid at a match. 

Have the hiperfire eclipse  I would only run it on my .22 or pcc not my taste for a rifle trigger 

21 minutes ago, Wheelsonly said:

Have the hiperfire eclipse  I would only run it on my .22 or pcc not my taste for a rifle trigger 

I shot 3gun with a hiperfire eclipse for about 6months and liked it so much I bought another one for my son when they went on sale.  

Its interesting the different preferences in triggers. I really like the feel of that wide shoe and I like a long single stage so I’m digging the Calvin and eclipse most right now. 

On 5/15/2018 at 10:07 PM, emjbe said:

I shot 3gun with a hiperfire eclipse for about 6months and liked it so much I bought another one for my son when they went on sale.  

Its interesting the different preferences in triggers. I really like the feel of that wide shoe and I like a long single stage so I’m digging the Calvin and eclipse most right now. 

The Calvin Elite is something I want to try 

Geiselle makes a single stage........pretty sweet I might add.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:27 AM, tact said:

Geiselle makes a single stage........pretty sweet I might add.

The Super [*Dynamic] 3 Gun (S3G) is indeed very sweet.  You get two trigger springs with it.  I use the heavier one.  I know there are other great triggers for ARs out there, but Geissele does a fantastic job.  I also love their AR gas block with the "bomb proof" heavy roll pin.

*The Dynamic flavor has the flat trigger.

Edited by GunBugBit

The Super [*Dynamic] 3 Gun (S3G) is indeed very sweet.  You get two trigger springs with it.  I use the heavier one.  I know there are other great triggers for ARs out there, but Geissele does a fantastic job.  I also love their AR gas block with the "bomb proof" heavy roll pin.

*The Dynamic flavor has the flat trigger.

I referring to the true single stage.....SSP. It’s relatively new.

Odd that this list is missing the (in my opinion) the two most popular triggers in 3-gun. AR Gold and Hiperfire.  Both are excellent.  As is the Timney Calvin Elite.  The CE has a similar feel to my Hiperfire ECL, but even lighter.  I was not happy with my CMC and Geissele triggers.  I use Hipefire for my rifles, but I would absolutely recommend the AR Gold and Calvin Elite as well.  I have tens of thousands of rounds through my hipefires and not one issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had great luck with with 

Wilson

CMC

Geselle

Hyoerfire 

but it just switched to the new Elf 3 gun and hands down the smoothest trigger I have ever run and will not use anything else going forward 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2018 at 10:26 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Timney Calvin Elite is my favorite so far. Hiperfire 3G is good and seems to be one of the most popular right now.

I agree the Calvin Elite is a very nice feeling trigger. But, I did have the torx screw on the trigger come loose and allowed the shoe to walk outside the trigger guard and get caught on a jersey sleeve resulting in an AD and DQ. So you have to be real certain on the torque spec on this trigger. More moving parts equals more potential for problems. 

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the LaRue MBT.  I have one of those and I like the feel, plus the price is nice at just around $100 typically.

I have also used a Geissele SD3-G, Geissele SSA, and an Armalite NM 2-stage.

The Larue MBT feels very similar to the SSA, I will say that the SSA is a little stiffer, feels a little better for a duty rifle.  Both are very smooth but the MBT feels a little more "precision-rifle".

I ended up selling the SD3G, it was very nice and light but I like a true 2-stage better.  I found that I can shoot just as quickly with a quality 2 stage, and didn't like the hair-trigger tendencies of the SD3G.

Surprisingly, I really like the Armalite NM 2-stage.  It came with my first 3-gun rifle and I like the feel of it.  The trigger has a longer "reach" than the Geissele and LaRue which are both set back a little.