Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How/when Do You Decide To Change Divisions?

boo radley

I'm just curious how y'all decided to change divisions....It seems to me that there might be an initial advantage to getting classified in one, say L10, then shooting Productiion for a while, then returning to L10 (but with more overall experience, and skill, presumably) for a sectional or major match.

I change and shoot different divisions for no better reason than I get bored..or frustrated and can't find the time to work it out...

so the end result is I get really good at mediocrity and don't really advance..

each division has a pretty specific set of challenges..some I find really fun to work on..others I only think they are until I try it..

I think you learn from each of the divisions..and it will improve your overall shooting..but you still need to spend enough time in one spot to take advantage of all that learning...

Another reason to switch divisions is that different divisions can help you learn different things. For instance I switched from production to Open to learn better trigger control and make it easier to "see what I need to see", I think it has helped me improve overall as a shooter.

I imagine that shooting revolver or limited would help me learn some other things as well.

I shoot L10 when I feel like shooting a sigle stack and working on reloads. I shoot a dot when I get tired of fuzzy sights. I doubt I'll ever go back to a wheelgun and I gave up Production for personal reasons. I don't see a Limited gun in my future either.

I generally shoot in Limited, on occasion I'll shoot L-10, same gun and ammo.

During the winter I sometimes drag out my Glock or Sig and shoot production. If I have ammo loaded, I might shoot Open and on rare occasion, I've even shot my Revolver.

It has come down on occasion to "I am shooting X because it is all I had ammo for today"

It is probably true, that if you stick to one gun, you'll shoot it better than you will shoot 5 guns, the skill sets aren't that different, BUT there are different apporaches to the stages. Obviously, the prolems faced shooting a Rev are far different than in Open.

Jim

The reason I shoot different guns is to shoot against better competition or because I feel like shooting a certain gun. After awhile of shooting the same gun I want different challenges. This next year I plan on shooting open and production mosty, the raw speed of open is a blast, and the accuracy of production to improve my game. If they get boring I'll switch to L or L10.

I don't know that there is an advantage to shooting any division unless you are "under classified" in a division and want to try to loot a prize table somwhere.

It's all about the fun and challenges :D

I really only like Open and Limited. Of the two, Limited is much more demanding if you want to keep up with the best in that division. Their skills are unreal.

Limited is easier on my wrists & my ears, Open is easier on my ego...

There are some ppl who switch just to do something different and maybe not to improve. But then there's SmittyFL who shot in 4 divisions last year and look at where he's at now. He mentioned something about how Revolver taught him to keep looking for new targets as he pulls the trigger non-stop. No argument there.

I switched out of Limited when I ran into a brick wall and couldn't seem to get around it.

Don't really know why I went to Revolver except that I had favorable results with it the few times I did shoot it. Man did I go overboard !!!!

I see myself going back to Limited or maybe even production, I don't like OPEN as they are too Noisy and not a real gun :huh:

Hope that helps, maybe you'll enjoy shooting another division.

SAM "HOPALONG" KEEN

you don't have to switch divisions. you can shoot any division at any time and then go back. you can shoot your single stack in limited or shoot your revolver in L-10. Sometimes I open my safe and an gun just begs to be shot. last month I went to shoot 3gun and used my M1, revolver, and a side by side coach gun. It just seemed like the thing to do. Don't ever think there is a limit to what you can shoot. this sport is supposed to be fun. go crazy.

After several years of it, I finally got my fill of multiple mag changes on every stage. So I switched from L-10 and am now shooting Limited. For me, 20+1 capacity is a fun change. My wife is taking over my L-10 rig, so there are winners all around :D

I'm a B class shooter in Limited and L-10. I guess the strategy (that I've seen lately) would be to sandbag myself to a C card in Production and only shoot Production the month before and at any big match so I could have a better chance of "winning" a prize. Then again, that's not the strategy for me <_<

Instead I'll feel good to finish in the middle of the pack(I hope) in Limited until I win the lottery so I can practice all day, and find a witch doctor who can sell me some athletic ability.

I think that changing divisions every now and then is good to make you a more rounded shooter.

I shoot Open up to Area 4 and then switch to Limited/L-10 to prepare to the Texas State Limited. I have found that shooting open has made me a better limited shooter. I will probably shoot L-10 at Area 2 and then switch back to Open to work up to Area 4 again.

OK, I am A in Limited and B in everything else, but I have been able to switch around between Limited with an STI, Production with a Glock, and ICORE with a revolver all in the same weekend and do well. I even alternate Steel Challenge between my singlestack and a Glock with similar results, and I can shoot GSSF and USPSA back to back without issue. I doubt there is anything special about it since many other shooters also do this, but I enjoy all of the divisions and shooting sports (3Gun is my favorite). I usually switch because I have been wanting to shoot a particular gun, or ammo reserves get low, or maybe someone dares me to(several of us shoot something other than our normal Limited guns).

I guess the strategy (that I've seen lately) would be to sandbag myself to a C card in Production and only shoot Production the month before and at any big match so I could have a better chance of "winning" a prize...

Thx all - some good information. I wasn't implying sandbagging, per se, just wondered about a competitive advantage to, uh, "refraining", from shooting a particular Division for some period before an important match, so one could return to the Division being as strong as possible in one's classification, but not yet at the next level.

I guess this would really only be an issue with the lower classes -- an A shooter in L10, for example, probably won't classify as a C or D in Production, I wouldn't think.

I was very curious, too, about how/why (other than the above) people shoot something different. I can very much see the allure of Limited, and not having constant magazine changes in most stages, as I do with L10. Of course, there's the hit of $$$$ for gear.

I'm noticing that different matches in my area tend to have Divisions that are a lot more populated than others, which is a consideration. I always want to shoot against as many people as possible.

Interesting stuff -- thx.

I dare you - Fooooooomister

Love the sport, love the toys - what better way can you enjoy your hobby.

How/when Do You Decide To Change Divisions?

When the wind blows - and I have Ammo loaded :)

I guess this would really only be an issue with the lower classes -- an A shooter in L10, for example, probably won't classify as a C or D in Production, I wouldn't think.

This won't happen with USPSA. You can only be classed one lower in every other division from your highest. So you A L10 shooter would automatically be bumped to B in Production once he got his A card. One of the reasons I'm staying out of revolver. I'd pretty much get killed in A class.

I'm going backwards....

I started out in the mid 1980's shooting Open. Switched in the late 90's to Limited then to L10.

I'll start out '06 in Production. :wacko:

I never really cared about classifications...just discovered that I liked iron sights more than dots and comps. Those whom know me well know I love doing things the "hard way" so give me a gun with lousy sights and lousy triggers and I'm good to go.

Never mind age, failing eyesight and loss of "quickness in ones step".... :lol:

I switched from Prod to L10 when I discovered that, for the most part, I enjoyed shooting 1911's much more than Glocks etc. I switched from L10 to Limited when I discovered that I liked the expanding problem-solving possibilities of more rounds in the gun. I'm switching to Open next year because I'm a gadget freak ;)

Like Boo Radley said, I switch when I am in danger of being classified higher than my true abilities right before a major match. There is another thread out there about the classification system and how it takes only your highest scores. I managed to get lucky several times in Limited ten, so I am in danger of getting bumped up to B class--a class I would probably get killed in.

Like Boo Radley said, I switch when I am in danger of being classified higher than my true abilities right before a major match.  There is another thread out there about the classification system and how it takes only your highest scores.  I managed to get lucky several times in Limited ten, so I am in danger of getting bumped up to B class--a class I would probably get killed in.

Right on. I shot one classifier to many in Limited... :(