Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open cost

wingnut

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s not bad

After that point it’s just the cost of powder, bullet type, and your shooting volume. If your picking up 9mm brass for production, then the per bullet cost won’t increase ver much... I went from about 8/9cents to 11/13cent per, after switching from production to open this year...

Everyone recommends jacketed hollow points of some kind...

but there are plenty of guys who run Smokey blue/bayou bullets in open...

The powder cost is close to the same as production if your buying in bulk, pay attention to free hazmat deals and/or your not buying those fancy powders...

Stick to hs6 or the other popular powders and your still in the same range as production powder costs per pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cost is gun, backup gun, and things have a tendency to break quicker so replacement parts will be added cost compared to a production setup typically would encounter.  Mags are more expensive but that's really about it.

I can load lead open ammo for less than production if using AC vs Vit powder if I wanted to make that argument.  Same with lead vs jacketed, jacketed ammo costs about $20/1,000 for me to load more than lead does.  You'll probably shoot a lighter bullet in open than in production so that is actually cheaper from that standpoint.

It's the initial outlay and deciding to shoot .38 that make it more expensive than other divisions to actually shoot.

I think is has to do with how much do you shoot per year. I shoot 38sc and get back most of my brass. And only shoot 8k- 10k a year. So even if I have to buy 2k of brass a year it's not bad. It's the start up costs and they do break more often. So then you look at getting a back up gun or you take time off when your gun is getting fixed. 

As mentioned above there are more things to break.  You also have an optical sight to keep running and with higher pressure more things are bound to wear quicker.  As far as ammo not much difference shooting 9major other than powder consumption

I run 9 major and cost isn't bad at all. However, when I first moved to open I was in the "tinkerer" phase. Easy to get caught up in the quest for a perfect shooting gun. While cost of several types / weights of powder, bullets, springs, etc pales to the cost of a open pistol & mags, it can still add up. 

Been said in here a lot. You can be a tinkerer or a shooter. I finally moved to the latter. Not saying don't experiment, just something else to be aware of from a cost perspective. 

Go go ahead and drink the cool aid and jump on the comet with us. I enjoy open a lot. Now my PCC gets neglected pretty bad. 

About the same as any other division. 9mm bullets cost the same,(maybe cheaper #lighter) use a little more powder, primers are the same. Most of your expense will be in ammo no matter what division you shoot.

If you have a good gun you shouldn't break parts, unless you're shooting a ton. At that point, again ammo is the expensive part.

5 minutes ago, kimberacp said:

take into consideration "IF you crack a slide"?    It can be expensive....

This is where builders and warranties come in. I cracked a slide on my Cheely gun. STI covered the slide itself. Matt milled it and refit for cost of me shipping to him. Had to get it chromed so I was back up and running for less than $200.

I’m new to open as of last month. Coming from limited last two years.i got gun an super Comp brass on the deal. So reloading wise i can’t tell no difference except all that damn powder i got is  useless in open lol. I’m selling the brass an changing it to 9 major.i think this time next year i won’t tell any difference from 40 major to open reloading cost. The mags are expensive but i know they last an hold value. 

I would caution against reusing open 9mm brass... you never know when it's gonna let go. That said, I switched to open this summer and I'm shooting 38SC. I bought 3k new starline brass and after picking it up as much as I can as well as multiple lost brass matches, I've still got well over 2k pieces and shoot a match every weekend. Once you get past the initial cost of the brass, dies, gun, etc. 38sc actually ends up being cheaper than 9mm in the end as long as you're physically able to pick up your brass. I've loaded the same brass over 10x and only stop when it shows signs that it will fail or has failed. I've had 5 total pieces that the primer pocket would no longer hold the primer in place, and 2 total pieces that had a crack in it (not 100% sure those were out of my stash or range pickup). Another major advantage to 38SC is powder choices to make major and the room in the case to not spill powder on a progressive press while loading to major. 

Outside of that, as mentioned above there's a lot of maintenance as the gun and ammo is harder on its self and tolerances are far tighter on an open gun than they are on a production gun. It's really not that bad though, but the initial investment is substantial.

8 minutes ago, Bird_Dog0347 said:

I would caution against reusing open 9mm brass... you never know when it's gonna let go. That said, I switched to open this summer and I'm shooting 38SC. I bought 3k new starline brass and after picking it up as much as I can as well as multiple lost brass matches, I've still got well over 2k pieces and shoot a match every weekend. Once you get past the initial cost of the brass, dies, gun, etc. 38sc actually ends up being cheaper than 9mm in the end as long as you're physically able to pick up your brass. I've loaded the same brass over 10x and only stop when it shows signs that it will fail or has failed. I've had 5 total pieces that the primer pocket would no longer hold the primer in place, and 2 total pieces that had a crack in it (not 100% sure those were out of my stash or range pickup). Another major advantage to 38SC is powder choices to make major and the room in the case to not spill powder on a progressive press while loading to major. 

Outside of that, as mentioned above there's a lot of maintenance as the gun and ammo is harder on its self and tolerances are far tighter on an open gun than they are on a production gun. It's really not that bad though, but the initial investment is substantial.

I seen tons of guys running range brass for 9 major. Never misses a beat

Just now, 36873687 said:

I seen tons of guys running range brass for 9 major. Never misses a beat

I reused my 9mm major brass as well, but my loads were relatively low-pressured compared to some others' so I didn't split cases too often.  But I've also seen more than a few split cases from other open shooters, so YMMV.

It's their gun, and their choice... and yes, the people I know who shoot 9 major buy once fired range brass from a reputable seller and DO NOT pick anything up. Every match is lost brass for them so they do not divide the cost on every reload. I do not know anyone who shoots 9 major that would ever pick up 9mm brass from a USPSA match, and that's what I would caution against.

Again, my math is based on the physical ability as well as the willingness to pick up your brass... it is far cheaper to load 38SC if you are willing and able to pick it up.

Edited by Bird_Dog0347

I buy all my brass cleaned.  It costs between 3.5 and 4 cents each, depending on quantity and shipping.  I use it once and leave it on the ground.  I use really good plated bullets or JHPs.  It costs me 17 cents per round to reload.  If I used VV powders, it would be 19 cents each.

People often talk about how 9 Major shooters don't/shouldn't reload range pickup, and I think it is totally bunk. I have loaded the same pieces of brass numerous times with no ill effects. Just like with any caliber, inspect your brass for issues before reloading it, and don't use it if it is cracked or the primer pockets are loose. Other than that, load em up. I have probably gotten 5+ reloads on brass before, and at that point I don't care if I leave it on the range. I have never once bought a piece of 9mm. I am around 12 cents a round. 

P.s. check for stepped cases, because that can ruin your day in a hurry.

1 hour ago, Bird_Dog0347 said:

It's their gun, and their choice... and yes, the people I know who shoot 9 major buy once fired range brass from a reputable seller and DO NOT pick anything up. Every match is lost brass for them so they do not divide the cost on every reload. I do not know anyone who shoots 9 major that would ever pick up 9mm brass from a USPSA match, and that's what I would caution against.

Horse Hockey! I have loaded some of my 9MAJOR brass too many times to keep track of.

Buy once fired brass 1 head stamp brass @ about 3.5 cents per.  Shoot once in practice,  clean reload shoot in match... leave it on the ground.  my price is the same as the guy who buys super comp and chases it. No bending over during matches.   when i went to 9mm major many many years ago i tested reloadability.   i never had a problem getting 5-6 loading on it.   i just don't bother anymore.

Edited by caspian guy