Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Titan Question

jk_nh

Forgive the noob-level question.  I've never owned a high end gun like a Titan.  

I don't reload. Isusing factory 9mm 147gr such as Atlanta Arms or Tier 1 good to go,out of these pistols?  Or is like putting low octane gas in a Ferrari?

Curious whether I'd taking full advantage what a Titan can do by using factory ammo. 

Honest question: Why are you putting a custom gun that won’t make you any better... ahead of a 650/1050 that will let you shoot your current basic gun often enough to improve?

Practice make your scores improve. More affordable ammo = more practice.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

They will run with factory ammo. But your analogy is probably a good comparison. I had one in 40sw. Ran Winchester white box just fine. But my hand loads were much better and more accurate.
@memphismechanic makes a good point however. Buying a press and learning how to reload might not seem like much fun at the moment, but it would definitely be worth it if you continue pursue shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MM's advice is solid. I bought a basic STI Edge in .40 for Limited USPSA. It runs 180 grain Federal like a charm and Magtech ammo okay (occasional failure to go into battery that a quick tap on the mag fixes). I invested in a Hornady AP progressive press and have begun experimenting with various loads. I was looking at a "custom" 2011, but decided that reloading is more important (for both practice and for getting a working competition load). I am trying XTreme FMJ FP 180 grain and Blue Bullet 180 grain to see what I like best. I have not tested for major Power Factor yet, but my 180 grain XTremes with 4.2 grains of Titegroup seated same OAL as Federal 180 grains are "softer" shooting.

I would not purchase a custom (or near-custom) 2011 in 9mm for USPSA Limited. I tried Limited Minor in my first Limited Match and learned a quick lesson. I have an STI Marauder for 3-Gun or occasional IDPA in 9mm. You will regret getting a 9mm 2011 if you shoot USPSA. Start with a stock 2011 (get a good used one if possible) and then proceed. Carefully think about the advice in this thread before purchasing a $3600 + pistol!

"How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" Practice, lots of practice.

Reloader first. Then a 40 caliber, if you are going to shoot USPSA. Additionally, getting a cheaper gun to start would let you shoot more. If you want a fancy gun then get one, but realize that all the people above are right on the money. Practice is infinitely more important. 

Some people shoot for fun and just want to shoot a gun they like. Who cares if you ever get better? That's not the mindset of many people here, but it is out there. If you want it and have the money, get it. And yes, it will eat factory. My question is why are you buying one in 9?

Titan owner and 1050 owner, full disclosure. hahaha

Edited by rowdyb

Not only is practice important but squeezing all the accuracy you can out of your gun will only come through finding the right load for it and that doesn't happen with factory ammo, unless you ride a unicorn. I'm not trying to talk you out of a Titan, heck I own two of them and they are EXCELLENT pistols but I agree with the others. Invest in a reloading rig first. I'd vote for a 550 which has served me well for 3 decades.

OR...if you have the money you can save time by not reloading and instead just open the boxes of factory ammo that is delivered to your front door and practice with that. And for matches you can try out Atlanta Arms Major ammo. Get a .40 if you want to play in Limited. 

Yes the Titan will run on factory 9mm. If you're used to shooting factory 9mm through a plastic gun, you'll still see a difference by moving to the titan.

I think the difference between hand-tuned 9mm and factory ammo is a whole lot smaller than the difference there is on 40.

I am in the minority here, I found that reloading is no longer worth my time. I run Freedom Munition 180 HP in USPSA and I am very happy with the accuracy out of my DVC. I also run Freedom munitions 124 HP for 3-Gun great accuracy out of my Marauder. 

6 minutes ago, andyivan said:

Amazing how people just want to give advice and not address his question. 

"People" are just trying to help. The OP didn't really say much. Does he even own a Titan yet? Is he just going to plink? Is he going to try to shoot USPSA Limited minor? Does he even know what limited minor means? Does he care? Is he going to shoot a box of ammo every three months for fun? Is he going to shoot USPSA and go through 1000 rounds a month? 

The answers matter. If I had lots of extra cash laying around I wouldn't mind a 9mm 2011 for dabbling in Limited just for fun but if I wanted to be even remotely serious about shooting Limited there is no way.

All of the information provided should be taken as a whole to help you in your decision..  Best advice I can give if you REALLY want the Titan and also run the ammo you indicated,. Call Atlas and talk to Adam...  He'll answer any questions you have straight up and give you any help you need in making the best decision for you.  In the end if you do go the way you indicated,. You'll have a high quality handgun you'll enjoy shooting / owning....  

2 hours ago, NoSteel said:

All of the information provided should be taken as a whole to help you in your decision..  Best advice I can give if you REALLY want the Titan and also run the ammo you indicated,. Call Atlas and talk to Adam...  He'll answer any questions you have straight up and give you any help you need in making the best decision for you.  In the end if you do go the way you indicated,. You'll have a high quality handgun you'll enjoy shooting / owning....  

Very true.  Call up Atlas and speak with Adam.  

Atlanta Arms makes fantastic ammo, and their premium stuff is definitely more accurate than my handloads.  If I was very wealthy, I'd shoot factory all day too.  Btw, I have a Titan on the way. Typically I shoot coated .40 in practice and shot Atlanta Arms factory in majors.  Next year, I'll be switching bullets and shooting my loads in matches, since it is just too expensive to shoot factory for me.

2 hours ago, Adam78 said:

This guy gets it.

Actually this thread demonstrates one of the essential strengths of the Benos Forum--a treasure load of experience and people willing to share it. Many members here probably made the mistake of jumping into an expensive pistol and then having buyer's remorse. I've learned the hard way myself. When you do not have any direct experience to rely on and do not have access to "test driving" an expensive pistol the purchasing process can be stressful. I was close to ordering a "custom" Limited pistol, but much of the advice above was shared with me by people with more experience. Often hype drowns out reason.

If you have the money and you want the pistol--buy it--no one would here would tell someone otherwise. But when you reach out on this forum (communication via written word and not face-to-face) you will likely get advice similar to what was offered here. Hopefully the original poster can get back into the conversation and and ask more precise questions. I was thankful for some of the advice offered that opened my eyes to considerations that were unaware to me.

To get the best out of your titan you will need to reload. It will come to you from Atlas tuned for 128-130pf 9mm ammo for doubles that will be less that inch apart at 10-15 yards. 

Ask me how I know =)

But it Will run with factory ammo and you can still tune it for nice doubles with Heavier Recoil springs. 

OP to this thread here.

Many thanks to the people who posted their advice on the Atlas Titan.  No issues at all with the reloading-centric answers.  Those are the exact questions I was hoping to have answered.  They kind of confirmed what I suspected already.  Asking the question the way I did as kind of like asking what kind of computer I should buy.  Answer depends on how you intend to use it.  Sorry for the open-ended questions.

Sarge, all of your follow-up questions are very good.  I've been shooting USPSA production since 2010, averaging between 6-7k rounds per shooting season.  My average is 3-4 matches per month, not including area, sectional matches, and practices.  I just transitioned from a G34 to a CZ Shadow 2.  Had an opportunity to handle a Titan at Area 7 this year.  Handling that gun was like seeing the clouds part and sun come out, it felt that good.

I am up on the differences, benefits, and drawbacks with minor vs. major power factor.

The reloading issue is a concession to the Mrs.  She is uncomfortable with powder and primers in the house; she's fine with loaded ammo.  Go figure.  If reloading is really the only way to make shooting limited major and buying the Titan worth it, I'll have to negotiate that with her.

Gentlemen, I'm grateful for all you taking the time to share your expertise and perspective.  Exactly why I love this forum.

Thank you very much.  

2 hours ago, jk_nh said:

If reloading is really the only way to make shooting limited major and buying the Titan worth it, I'll have to negotiate that with her.

I’m probably overstating the obvious, but 9mm cannot be scored as major in Limited, no matter what gun or ammo. 

If you want to shoot limited, then there isn't really a discussion to be had as to the "benefits and drawbacks" of limited major vs minor. If you want to be successful, you must shoot major. Limited minor has no benefits, and only drawbacks. The capacity is nearly the same, the speed you shoot them is the same, the accuracy of them is the same... And on top of that, buying an expensive custom limited gun in 9mm is going to ream you on resale when you realize the error of your ways and try to sell it. The only possible benefit would be the cheaper cost of 9mm ammo vs 40, but that isn't a good reason if the goal is to be as good as possible.

The end. 

Starting to reload and then getting a 40 limited gun (whether Titan or otherwise) is what I would recommend. 

I agree with Gooldy completely. Ask me how I know. . . . Lost more money than I wanted on an STI Eagle in 9mm that I used for two USPSA Limited Minor matches. Bought STI Edge in .40 (which I should have bought to begin with, but I ignored the advice that I was given). In last three matches I have beaten or scored just a few points behind high-B rated shooters. Re-loading and experimenting with loads now, dry-firing, and other practice this winter so that by Spring I can move up and Gooldy is higher up the food chain than me.

5 hours ago, jk_nh said:

OP to this thread here.

Many thanks to the people who posted their advice on the Atlas Titan.  No issues at all with the reloading-centric answers.  Those are the exact questions I was hoping to have answered.  They kind of confirmed what I suspected already.  Asking the question the way I did as kind of like asking what kind of computer I should buy.  Answer depends on how you intend to use it.  Sorry for the open-ended questions.

Sarge, all of your follow-up questions are very good.  I've been shooting USPSA production since 2010, averaging between 6-7k rounds per shooting season.  My average is 3-4 matches per month, not including area, sectional matches, and practices.  I just transitioned from a G34 to a CZ Shadow 2.  Had an opportunity to handle a Titan at Area 7 this year.  Handling that gun was like seeing the clouds part and sun come out, it felt that good.

I am up on the differences, benefits, and drawbacks with minor vs. major power factor.

The reloading issue is a concession to the Mrs.  She is uncomfortable with powder and primers in the house; she's fine with loaded ammo.  Go figure.  If reloading is really the only way to make shooting limited major and buying the Titan worth it, I'll have to negotiate that with her.

Gentlemen, I'm grateful for all you taking the time to share your expertise and perspective.  Exactly why I love this forum.

Thank you very much.  

Bound to be a fellow shooter with a good press they will let you use. Store components at his house and once you work up a good load, spend 3-4 weekends over the winter and poof, you have ammo.