Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Titan Question

jk_nh

I don't suspect this is the case, but if you're focus is on 3-gun and you don't care about being overly competitive in USPSA, there are plenty of benefits to 9mm.  I know several solid 3-gunners that use a 9mm 2011, and just shoot Ltd Minor with it.  As for the resale, there is a market for custom 9mm 2011's... the 3-gunners, so don't let the resale argument sway you.

On the other hand, I shot .40 minor in 3-gun for a year and did just fine, the recoil impulse is actually preferably in my opinion, but the extra round capacity and cost was enough for me to switch to 9mm in 3-gun.

I vote .40, but I don't think you'll regret going 9mm as much as everyone else says.

On 12/12/2017 at 2:52 PM, jk_nh said:

OP to this thread here.

Many thanks to the people who posted their advice on the Atlas Titan.  No issues at all with the reloading-centric answers.  Those are the exact questions I was hoping to have answered.  They kind of confirmed what I suspected already.  Asking the question the way I did as kind of like asking what kind of computer I should buy.  Answer depends on how you intend to use it.  Sorry for the open-ended questions.

Sarge, all of your follow-up questions are very good.  I've been shooting USPSA production since 2010, averaging between 6-7k rounds per shooting season.  My average is 3-4 matches per month, not including area, sectional matches, and practices.  I just transitioned from a G34 to a CZ Shadow 2.  Had an opportunity to handle a Titan at Area 7 this year.  Handling that gun was like seeing the clouds part and sun come out, it felt that good.

I am up on the differences, benefits, and drawbacks with minor vs. major power factor.

The reloading issue is a concession to the Mrs.  She is uncomfortable with powder and primers in the house; she's fine with loaded ammo.  Go figure.  If reloading is really the only way to make shooting limited major and buying the Titan worth it, I'll have to negotiate that with her.

Gentlemen, I'm grateful for all you taking the time to share your expertise and perspective.  Exactly why I love this forum.

Thank you very much.  

The titans are the business. Doesn’t really matter what your using it for uspsa or 3 Gun.  Obviously it won’t work for production, but it makes one heck of a limited gun. You don’t have to reload to make major.   Atlanta Arms makes major pf ammo and honestly most factory 180gr ammo Alessandro major (not all).  Freedom munitions makes a 180gr bullet that makes major for .19$ per round.   It’s a bit over major actually.  But you don’t have to reaload to make major.  

i know i used to have to be picky with which brass i used and which bullet profile in my 1911's and my last limited gun but this custom atlas limited gun eats anything and everything from 1.15 to 1.2 oal and never even stutters. i couldnt be happier. 

To the OP's question- I have over 10,000 rounds through my personal Atlas 9mm 2011 with all types of factory and hand loaded ammo (of varying quality). It ALL runs. If you don't mess with your mags and keep the oil in places it belongs, it will eat...and eat and eat and eat. We have approximately 10 Atlas guns in our local area, mostly 9's, mostly Titans, and they all have similar experiences.

I love how everyone assumes he wants to shoot USPSA Limited and tried to talk him out of 9mm. I've sold literally dozens of new custom and STI 2011's...9mm out sells 40 4:1. Real talk, because 3-gun. 

Also, devil's advocate..if you are here, you already have made entry into the sport. If you stay with the sport long enough, you will end up with a custom gun (yes...yes you will). You will also loose 20-60% of the money you spend on every gun you buy between here and there (yes...yes you will)- fact. If you are in the sport, you like it, and are inclined to get a custom gun someday. I highly suggest you save the money and pull the trigger on one as soon as possible. All the major builders have good advocates who can help you through the process.       

• 1 month later...