2018 USPSA Nationals

JakeMartens

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is what it is....
but it’s our National Championship. 
A little bit hard to get super excited over 12 real stages and 6 classifiers. 
Can you define a "real" stage for me?
I personally like a match with a balance of short medium and long courses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

Can you define a "real" stage for me?
I personally like a match with a balance of short medium and long courses.

Obviously, In this context I just meant any stage that is NOT a classifier.

Im fine with a good mix, but 6 classifiers across an 18 stage nationals is blah.

Sounds a bit like the old SSTK Nats where most of the time you’re just standing in one spot shooting. 

3 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

Having 6 classifier stages at a match that costs so much in travel and match fees is a bit over the top.

This will be my first Nats if I get a spot. Between the 6 classifier stages and not being able to walk the stages the day before, I'm trying to decide if I want to go or not. 

I believe I read somewhere that they were talking 18 bays not nessesaraly 18 stages, I think they were hinting at having more than one stage in a couple bays. It is pretty easy to mix a short course with a medium course or speed shoot.

21 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

I believe I read somewhere that they were talking 18 bays not nessesaraly 18 stages, I think they were hinting at having more than one stage in a couple bays. It is pretty easy to mix a short course with a medium course or speed shoot.

On 10/19/2017 at 8:02 PM, JakeMartens said:

3 days, back to back to back

the match is 18 stops so at a minimum in the 3 day AM/PM format

Each match will have:

6 stages that stay the same (new classifier stages)

6 stages that will be similiar but reworked 

6 completely different stages

Since all 8 Divisions are going to be on the ground at one place we can get new classifiers since by then it will be years 5 since we had new

USA range has the bays and the equipment to allow us to build 26 stages

so each match will be different in that after the first 3 day event we will have the ability to shoot 6 new stages and 6 that have been adjusted for the second event.

while the second event is going on, the 6 stages from the first match will be reworked considerably over that 3 days, and then the other 6 will again be adjusted for the 3rd event.

Doing the 18 stops with 2 flights allows for 432 slots per event for a total of 1296 available slots for the entire 9 days.

People ask why wouldn't we just put all 8 division on the ground at the sametime.

24 stages at 12 per squad over 4 days in the AM/PM format is 576 slots. Production and Limited just had 550 at that match.  This break down allows for the most slots. It also separates out the Optics putting them first allows for a different match for dots vs irons.

Also putting the Optics and Irons separate allows for the 2 most popular divisions to be back to back since they have the largest number of cross over shooters.

Putting Single Stack before Limited has those crossover shooter reloading into their skinny gun first before moving to Limited if they shoot both.

Keeping Limited and Limited 10 together doesn't allow for someone to run L10 and then Limited with the same gun to "practice" the match.

And also

Polk County has 6000 hotel rooms, and 6000 rentals

The Polk County Board of Tourism is working the us and USA range to host offset awards

We picked a calendar period that provided the best rates on hotels before the "snow bird" tourism season started and away from hurricane season

Most school systems that follow the year round calendar have a fall break during this time period for families wanting to shoot and visit a place near by that has a few million visitors a year.

Jake says 18 stops and also says 

6 classifier 

6 new and 

6 reworked stages so....... idk

6 minutes ago, Superpipe9 said:

Jake says 18 stops and also says 

6 classifier 

6 new and 

6 reworked stages so....... idk

He also very clearly said some stops would have more than 1 stage. If you shoot 6 classifiers in only 3 stops, then that is still 15 "real" stages as Steven calls them.

Personally I am all for a balanced match. Standards, short courses/speed shoots, and technical mediums separate people very well. Much better than a 32 round open target hose-fest that most people seem to prefer.

2 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

He also very clearly said some stops would have more than 1 stage. If you shoot 6 classifiers in only 3 stops, then that is still 15 "real" stages as Steven calls them.

Personally I am all for a balanced match. Standards, short courses/speed shoots, and technical mediums separate people very well. Much better than a 32 round open target hose-fest that most people seem to prefer.

I agree with the balance part but he says 6 new stages 6 reworked stages and 6 classifiers thats 18 stages. I don’t care about how many stops there is. This math is 18 stages. Do you think he just left out the other stages? Why wouldn’t he say 10 new stages or 8 reworked stages??? Doesn’t make since. This of course is just my opinion and I will probably be there regardless.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:01 PM, JakeMartens said:

18 stops not stages 

Classifier stages can be doubled up in bays

Allowing for more medium and long courses

11 minutes ago, Superpipe9 said:

I agree with the balance part but he says 6 new stages 6 reworked stages and 6 classifiers thats 18 stages. I don’t care about how many stops there is. This math is 18 stages. Do you think he just left out the other stages? Why wouldn’t he say 10 new stages or 8 reworked stages??? Doesn’t make since. This of course is just my opinion and I will probably be there regardless.

Do you read the whole thread before you post?

24 minutes ago, mikeg1005 said:

Doesn't Frostproof have 22 bays?   Why can't we get 20-22 stages in?  Double up the classifiers, good to go.

We're paying $270 for this... and we get 2-4 more stages than an area match?

See above. It will likely be exactly that (20-22). If they run the short courses/classifiers as split stages then that frees up other bays for additional field course stages.

9 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

See above. It will likely be exactly that (20-22). If they run the short courses/classifiers as split stages then that frees up other bays for additional field course stages.

I knows it’s all just speculation, so there’s hardly a point in even discussing.

I don’t think that’s the case though. It sounds like 18 stages. 

19 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

Again... 

Goldys right.

Jake did say “at a minimum” there would be 18 stages. I think most of us missed that part. 

Sounds to me like there is a chance there might be some more small stand and shoot stages doubled up at some of the stops. 

I still think having 6 classifiers (plus some other speed shoots probably) is ... blah. 

But I’ll be there shooting anyway. 

Edited by Ssanders224

10 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Do you read the whole thread before you post?

Yes. 6 new stages 6 re worked stages and 6 classifiers. That is still 18. If there is more that’s great. I hope there will be but it has been stated here and other places that there will be 6 stages that completely change 6 that get re worked and 6 classifier stages. They say stages not stops

9 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

Yes. 6 new stages 6 re worked stages and 6 classifiers. That is still 18. If there is more that’s great. I hope there will be but it has been stated here and other places that there will be 6 stages that completely change 6 that get re worked and 6 classifier stages. They say stages not stops

Your missing the concept.  The way I read it is that there is 18 stops.  Multiple stages in one pit so that it makes the match 20 - 22 stages.  The comment of 6 new stages 6 reworked stages and 6 classifiers means that there will be 6 new stages built and 6 reworked stages for the remaining Nationals  

Edited by Dchassejr

I just found out I got a PCC slot....my first USPSA Nats....first time to Frostproof also.... So where does everyone stay? Where does everyone fly into? I plan to shoot the PCC Nats then spend a few days at the local amusement park because I have never been to that one and it is on my bucket list. Any inside info on the Nats or the amusement park would be much appreciated.....

23 hours ago, newmexicocrawler said:

I just found out I got a PCC slot....my first USPSA Nats....first time to Frostproof also.... So where does everyone stay? Where does everyone fly into? I plan to shoot the PCC Nats then spend a few days at the local amusement park because I have never been to that one and it is on my bucket list. Any inside info on the Nats or the amusement park would be much appreciated.....

Congrats on the slot!

Fly into MCO.

Rent a house in frostproof, or

Hampton Inn in Lake Wales, or

Lots of options further south in Sebring, or

Stay close to Disney and drive down each day.

I've done about all of them.  If bringing family, stay at Disney, let them go play, the drive is about an hour to the range. 

No carry at Disney.  100% bag check and metal detector as of my last trip in January.

Fly into MCO.

Is there any reason to avoid TPA?

Seems be be a smaller airport and flight costs are about the same for me. Driving times to Frostproof are close to MCO, too (within +/- 15min).

I often prefer smaller airports due to the shorter TSA lines.

I'd also assume being detained for questioning, if you get profiled/flagged, would be quicker at a smaller airport.

I've flown a LOT, but never flown with checked firearms before. That part is going to cause a terrible amount of high anxiety for me going to my first Nationals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Is there any reason to avoid TPA?

Seems be be a smaller airport and flight costs are about the same for me. Driving times to Frostproof are close to MCO, too (within +/- 15min).

I often prefer smaller airports due to the shorter TSA lines.

I'd also assume being detained for questioning, if you get profiled/flagged, would be quicker at a smaller airport.

I've flown a LOT, but never flown with checked firearms before. That part is going to cause a terrible amount of high anxiety for me going to my first Nationals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TPA is fine too. MCO typically is cheaper due to volume. I prefer TPA but having lived there I’m a bit biased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk