Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO/TS or used 2011 for limited

Mushki25

I have been shooting the same M&P, first in IDPA now in USPSA, for 6-7 years now and seriously thinking about getting a limited gun. Locally the consensus seems to be buy a new or used 2011 but the single action cz's seem like they would work just as well for a fraction of the cost.  I am a lefty but have experience with a 1911 so dropping the mag with my trigger finger is fine.  I cannot see that the slide release will come into play except when things go sideways terribly.  

My question simply is will I be leaving anything on the table should I choose to go the single action cz route?  While no one like spending money I would rather not cheap out if I would be placing myself at any disadvantage since I feel the added cost over the life of the gun is minuscule.

Which would you choose if you were in my shoes, as a lefty?

All options seem bigger than the M&P in my hands so will require some getting used to but to me they all seem like they could work.

Im debating the same thing.. TSO vs STI 2011 vs SP01 CTS all in .40

I'm fighting through limited minor now sitting on 58% about to get my B card.. I'm thinking it might be nice to get the extra point for Cs and Bs for a change. I figure get the B in limited, then production, them CO and then reward myself with a shiny new .40 toy.. Christmas in...December.

If you get the TSO there's not much tinkering to do.  You won't need to 'tune' your mags like many of the 2011 platforms require.  Now if you like the idea of tuning and tinkering, you might want to consider a 2011 platform.  Just my opinion, I'm sure there's plenty of folks that think otherwise.

P.S. if you get the TS or TSO, keep the extra slide release in your range bag.  You'll need it sooner or later as that is one part that seems to break on these CZs.

I have two 2011s in 40 and a TS in 40.  For the money, the TS is hard to beat.  It runs right out of the box, and you don't have to do a thing to it.  I added a FO front sight, a fourth mag and four extended base pads to give me 20 reloadable.  I ran it that way for two years.  It recoils less than a 2011, sits lower in the hand so the muzzle does not rise as much.

If you go with a 2011, buy MBX mags.  They come pretuned and they stay that way for a really long time.  I'd suggest you go to the range and see who is shooting what.  If you express an interest they will let you handle the gun, and probably let you fire it.  That is exactly what I did before I bought my TS.

There are orders of magnitude more stuff available for the 2011 platform.  So if you like to tinker, get that one.  While you can replace some of the internals in the TS with 'expensive' aftermarket parts, they really don't improve performance anywhere near enough to justify the costs.  I just found that out the hard way.

I personally would not buy a new STI 2011.  I'd buy a good used one.  I'd save money and the previous owner will have done what was necessary to make the gun run.  If you buy a new one, that task is on you.

Edited by zzt

It is amusing that people say you don't have to do a thing to a tacsport. While that is true (I had one and dabbled in limited for a while), it seems to also be true of an STI edge. It seems to run, right out of the box. We have bought two this year, one for mrs moto and 1 for me, and they both run perfectly unless we do something stupid to them, like use heavy grease on the rails. 

I have mostly been shooting singlestack (with dsperman fat grips), so the 2011 is an easier transition for me than a TS. I also find that out of the box, the Edge seems to settle the sights a little quicker for the 2nd shot.

zzt's suggestion to try some guns if you can is a good one.  What sold me on an edge was trying one, and ripping through a plate rack at 20 yards faster than I could with my 1911, because the sights dropped right back to the same place and stopped after each shot, instead of wiggling around for a while. Note however that I didn't make any real effort to experiment with different recoil springs to get the sights to stop moving more quickly. I really only got experienced enough to see the sights that well after I sold that gun.

Edited by motosapiens

I decided to run a TSO due to cost. $1600 new compared to $2500 at the least. Only thing my TSO needed was some beviling to the magwell and gun its self. But easy enough with a dremel and a light touch. Other than that the thing just runs. Only time I have an issue is when it starts getting dusty and it kinda clunks into battery every so often. On a long sectional or area I take the slide off wipe it down and re-lube. Like others have said no heavy grease. I've found that ALG go juice works well. 

Not needed. But I replaced the factory trigger with a straight blade from CGW and added the CZC mag well for a little bigger target on reloads.  Any other questions feel free to PM me

I think it comes down to your budget and what is most ergonomic for you. The TS fits my hand better. I also have a limited budget, so a perfectly reliable from the factory pistol is ideal for me.
Getting a pistol with endless aftermarket support can be bad thing too. I have done every necessary mod to my TS now, and there isn't many options out there luring me to try to buy performance. My only option is to get better myself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have shot TS in 9mm for 5 years and bought a TS in 40 year ago. LH mag catch is good for a lefty and you do not need to do to the trigger anything as it is around 2 lbs from the factory. Mags are also very cheap. I can get 4 CZ mags with alupads for the cost of one MBX 2011 mag.

Typically you need to replace the rear sight with an adjustable sight to get the gun to fit in IPSC Standard.box with alupads. Do not know about the USPSA Limited rules. The regular plastic mag pads will not last long. Using CZC followers one can have 18 rounds reloable mags.

Lähetetty minun D5503 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I have a TS in 40, fully set up (hammer, sear, bushing, sights, grips, magwell, safety, flat trigger, dpm recoil reducer, 5 mags with extended pads etc...)

I am in it all together for less than a "Dawson Competition Ready Edge" and that still needs mags and other stuff.

I have shot them side by side, I like the feel of the CZ better.

The fact that it is cheaper is a bonus.

Another vote for the TS.  The grip on mine was a little off for me, so I just went to work on it until I was perfectly happy and I also went with the thin aluminum grips.  Absolutely love the way it feels.  I've done zero reliability mods and have had one malfunction while firing since owning it and it was completely the fault of the ammo.  I'm just a little over 5k rounds in I think.  I changed out the hammer and sear after screwing up the originals while pretending to be a gunsmith.  Changed some springs as well, but none of that was needed.  Fiber optic front was a must.

I think my only complaint would be the finish being fairly thin.  Mine is down to being "in the white" everywhere it contacts my holster.  I'm thinking it will get hard chromed some time later this year.

Of course, I say all that and I still would love to have an Apeiro some day, so I think this is one of those choices where you win either way.

Thanks for the input from everyone so far.  I am still on the fence since all options seem like great guns that will work.  Currently I am leaning towards a cz based on the philosophy that when all thing seem equal go with the cheaper option.  There do not seem to be any TS or TSOs in 40 in my neck of the woods so it is impossible to gauge the recoil compared to a 2011 for me.  The search continues I guess.

Recoil between the two feels the same to me. The grip on the 2011 is better to me than the grip on my TS and that right there is worth it enough for me. And I'm a "CZ guy" with a TS that I shoot in Limited with all the bells and whistles. My two main interfaces with a gun are the sights and the grip. Followed by the trigger. Sights are nothing in this comparison. So it's all about the grip. And for me the 2011 wins there.

But.... my TS needed little fiddling when I bought it, used. The mags have always worked perfectly and the idea of tuning them is laughable, they and the gun are not that picky.

I'd take money out of the equation and focus solely on ergos and what's for sale in your area.

I have a shooting/training partner who shoots a couple Edges, in 9mm and .40. 

I use two CZ's, a custom SA 75B, and a TS Orange, both in 9mm.

We've used them side by side for tens of thousands of rounds. Here is what I have found.

-They are all amazing guns. I'd be happy to shoot any of them.

I dearly love my CZ's. Especially my TS. It's lovely and has never let me down. I marvel at it's accuracy and feel. It's just everything that I could want in a gun. I usually don't have stuff I consider to really scratch the "pride of ownership" bug, but it's probably the most loved material item I own. My next gun will be a TS .40 for limited major. I feel confident it will be worth every penny.

But man the STI Edge is fantastic. Compared to my TSO, it has the advantage of sheer available parts choices (holsters, grips, triggers, etc). It has a huge, deep slide profile that is much easier to clear jams with and to manipulate in general. I feel like it's easier to get a very deep very high grip, at least for me. Even though it is more expensive than a TS, it is still a great deal for the money. This is what I would shoot if I weren't a stubborn CZ fanboy. I watched my buddys gun just chew through many tens of thousands of rounds with no surprises or disappointments. He didn't change a lot on them. I know he used the Dawson captured guide rod, but other than that it's mostly stock. Been really impressed with those.

Hard to go wrong with those choices. You got some serious first world problems!