Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavier bullet brand that are best in short chambers

MemphisMechanic

Like the CZ guys, M&Ps with factory barrels have very short chambers. Unlike you CZ guys, they are hardened and cannot be reamed/throated. My girl shoots matches with me occasionally, and she has an M&P.

We we all know profile & ogive vary from bullet to bullet. 

Which heavier bullets (124, 130, 135, or 147) have you guys found were the most friendly to guns like a CZ or M&P with a really short chamber?

I'm looking for something in that weight that will let me load to 1.120"+ for both her gun and mine. (My Tanfoglio has been throated and I usually feed it 1.150" loads.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I could load 147 coated FP Ibejiheads to 1.15 for my cz shadow and passed the plunk test. That said my accuracy and load turned out best at 1.125 so that's where I ended up.

They are very soft thru my M&P which is a plus from the snappier 124's.

Good luck...

3 hours ago, LeviSS said:

I tried several 147s and Blue Bullets let me load the longest in CZ.

How long was that?

2 hours ago, cheby said:

SNS 147 loads let me load longer than Blue Bullets

How long was that?

1 hour ago, MissionaryMike said:

Acme 147 load considerably longer than BBI 147 I used to use. .  Bayou 135 as well. 

How long was that?

;););) 

The Bayou 135 is a bullet I like. I've always liked the way 135s shoot nearly as soft as 147s yet nearly as cheaply as 124s

52 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The Bayou 135 is a bullet I like. I've always liked the way 135s shoot nearly as soft as 147s yet nearly as cheaply as 124s

I used to load both the Bayou 135 and Acme 147  to about 1.13" prior to Beven's reaming on my Shadow. 

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

How long was that?

How long was that?

How long was that?

;););) 

1.120 for me with Blue bullets.  I couldn't remember off the top of my head at work earlier.

i've tried blue, sns, extreme  they all work

just need to plunk and spin..... 

id figure out which barrel is shorter  load to that  then see if it performs in other

however the i had some issues with certain head stamps with the deeper seated pills 147 grooved

i'm working on a 130 flat point load now. which i really like and are least expensive pill i've found

5 hours ago, biglou13 said:

just need to plunk and spin..... 

Which 130 is that?

Oh, and @MemphisMechanic knows that he needs to plunk and spin and all that.  He's just looking for some anecdotes, so he doesn't have to purchase and load up 10 different bullets.

Edited by MissionaryMike

22 hours ago, biglou13 said:

Yes. At different OALs due to various ogives.

id figure out which barrel is shorter  load to that  then see if it performs in other

I have loaded approximately four different brands and weights for gun A at 1.150"+ and gun B needs them to be down around 1.090"-1.115" ... I'm well aware which weapon is my limitation. I'm hunting for the heavy round with the most friendly profile for short chambers in order to minimize the limitation.

however the i had some issues with certain head stamps with the deeper seated pills 147 grooved.

You just talked yourself full circle, and we are now standing in the same place:

"which heavier bullet will let me load longest in a short barrel, in order to minimize the issues that arise from seating a long 147 waaaay back into some brands of brass?"

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Interesting to hear you say that. I can't get a BBI 135 longer than 1.110" to run in an M&P, and even that was in the rifling by about .002" 

... In a gun which is supposed to have a slightly longer chamber than your CZ.

My mistake, I checked my notes, the 135RN is set for 1.10 and the 1.47FP is 1.070.  I corrected my original post, so as not to throw others off track.

• 4 months later...

An additional option for all of you:

I've found that in general M&P barrels only allow you to load .005"-.010" longer than most CZs, and unlike a CZ, you can't ream one. They're hardened.

In search of a bullet profile that was friendly for both my (reamed) Tanfoglio and a buddies M&P so that we could load batches of ammo together, I hit on the 125gr TC from Black Bullets International.

I had to load the BBI 135gr RN at 1.090" to get it to chamber effortlessly in an M&P, yet their 125 is spinning freely here.

I would imagine a CZ chamber will take these at least in the 1.120"-1.130" neighborhood, perhaps even longer.

IMG_6155.thumb.JPG.c83d108a4e19c3aeecb783f35727530b.JPG