Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recomendations on electronic muffs

champ198

I use MSA's for indoor ranges.  When it comes to outdoor competition shooting. Really nothing is better than some custom fit ear pro's.  Especially if you're shooting in hot weather.   If you can afford them, get some custom ones made - keep the MSA's in your bag as some extras or contingency muffs.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, nbot said:

I use MSA's for indoor ranges.  When it comes to outdoor competition shooting. Really nothing is better than some custom fit ear pro's.  Especially if you're shooting in hot weather.   If you can afford them, get some custom ones made - keep the MSA's in your bag as some extras or contingency muffs.

Are you using electronic customs? I've been considering getting some custom ones to wear under my MSAs, but I don't wanna spend money on electronic ones.

• 1 month later...

Pro Ears are awesome. Their Tac Plus Gold's are my favorite.

Shooting open, I double plug with foamies and then these muffs. Crank up the volume and you can hear the B in the BEEP along with your bullets moving up in your magazine -  even with foamies in.

What I like about the Pro Ears best is that normal sounds are still there while the damaging high db sounds are limited. You can easily understand conversations while shots are being fired (training, etc..).

I’ve tried several different kinds, and use several.  Here are my thoughts, in order of cost down:

MSA Sordins:  best sound reproduction and handling of sound during gunfire.  With gel cups, pretty comfortable.  Ok noise protection – the thin cups limit what is possible here, IMO.  Pain in the butt battery change.

Peltor Tactical Pro:  pretty good sound reproduction.  Better than Howard Leight; not as good as MSA.  Noise protection is very good, clearly better than MSA Sordins.  With real gel cups, pretty comfortable.

Peltor Tactical Sport:  pretty good sound reproduction, like the other peltors it seems.  Noise protection feels about like the Sordins.  With real gel cups, pretty comfortable.

Howard Leight Impact Pro:  Worst of the bunch sound reproduction.  Best of the bunch noise protection, provided it gets a good fit.  Really too bad they don’t have actual gel cups as an upgrade.

Howard Leight Impact Pro:  Ok sound reproduction.  Ok noise protection –a lot depends on how these happen to fit your head, plus they are pretty small cups.  Again, too bad there is not a gel cup upgrade.

For handgun shooting where budget is very important and so is protecting your hearing, I’d recommend the Impact Pro.  If noise reproduction becomes more important (and you don’t mind using ear plugs with muffs), then the Sordins are the best.  The peltors are a good middle ground depending on which you buy – one gives more hearing protection but costs more – but I feel they are at their best when equipped with gel cups which puts them way higher than the Howard Leights.

I don’t have anything negative to say about the Sordins other than the battery configuration, but I do think they only outperform peltors in sound reproduction and compared to a set of tactical pros with the gel upgrade you are giving up hearing protection to get that – of course you can recover that with ear plugs.  To each his own.

Edited by kernelofwisdom

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've used the Howard alright Impact for a long time, the cushion on the ear cups flattened down and hardened up and a friend mentioned they have a hygiene kit. Found the kit for $10 which replaced the ear cups with a much more comfortable, thicker and softer ear cup.  Great little upgrade.

1 hour ago, 3GDad said:

I've used the Howard alright Impact for a long time, the cushion on the ear cups flattened down and hardened up and a friend mentioned they have a hygiene kit. Found the kit for $10 which replaced the ear cups with a much more comfortable, thicker and softer ear cup.  Great little upgrade.

So far this is my only complaint with mine, got a link?

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2017 at 9:17 AM, fishsticks said:

MSA Sordins with gel cups. Spendy but worth every penny. Tried the Howard Leights and the Peletors. Neither stood up more than a year. My MSAs are on their second season and going strong with no issues.

^^^^  THIS  ^^^^   I have attended multiple range days and shoot frequently and these have held up great!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been rocking some Peltor Tac 500's. They are 26db NRR with Bluetooth. I can hammer steel for hours while listening to music or taking phone calls (or just turn that stuff off). Less than $140 on sale from Optics Planet, I added gel cups and headband pad for about $200 total. 

• 2 months later...

After using MSAs all Summer with the Gel cups I'm not thrilled considering their price. Probably best sound quality but that's bottom of my list of requirements, I either hear commands or I don't. 

They are well made but any gel cup is going to feel hotter I think. I also feel like double plugging anything major. 

Looking forward to cooler weather because the ear pro will feel better haha. 

Realistically some cheaper $40-$50 muffs that you can dispose of when they get nasty may be the smarter move. 

Edited by Frankly

11 minutes ago, Frankly said:

After using MSAs all Summer with the Gel cups I'm not thrilled considering their price. Probably best sound quality but that's bottom of my list of requirements, I either hear commands or I don't. 

They are well made but any gel cup is going to feel hotter I think. I also feel like double plugging anything major. 

Looking forward to cooler weather because the ear pro will feel better haha. 

Realistically some cheaper $40-$50 muffs that you can dispose of when they get nasty may be the smarter move. 

And you learned what many have told me over the years. MSA's are comfortable but the noise reduction just isn't there. 

1 hour ago, tattooo said:

Pro ears gold are phenomenal but pricey

And they hurt my ears since those big batteries take up all the free space in the cups. And they seemed much heavier than several others. But they do work well.

I used to have Peltor 7S which were quiet and comfortable.  When they crapped out I had them overhauled for about half the new price.

I now have HL Pro which are quiet but not real comfortable, I only wear them for short sessions when I just HAVE to communicate.

I mostly wear high NRR passives from Peltor, Pro Ears, and some off brand with a good NRR.

I wish they would make a version of the highly touted Sordin with serious shooter NRR.

In the meanwhile, if I feel the need for a nice electronic, I will get Pro Ears. 

I went all out and bought myself a pair of MSA Sordin with the gel earcups. Pricey, but for me, I really like them. Bought mine from SRS Tactical. I shot them with expensive stocks and haven't scratched or nicked any of my stocks with this headset.