Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking my oath

WidowsSon683

I swore I would never in my life purchase a glock. Either 1911 or nothing. I would not even allow one in my house. Wife starts new job at new pharmacy in a part of town im not too thrilled with, ok no problem she only works till 4pm. Pharmacy gets broken into, NOPE, shes getting a gun. AAAANNNNNND what gun does she like the feel of???????? G19. So my question, is there truly that much difference between gen 3 and 4 to warrant spending the extra $50-100. Also what are some of the more minor, inexpensive things to do for a strictly carry glock.

The biggest difference between the two is the backstraps on the gen 4.  Some people have small hands and that can make a big difference being able to change them.  Reliability wise I wouldn't trust one over the other.  If grip size isn't an issue I personally would save the money and get the gen 3.  As far as the minor inexpensive things goes I don't like to do much to carry guns.  I usually add some grip tape because I find the glocks to not be grippy enough for me.  Other than that maybe a glock factory minus connector to drop the trigger pull a little.  Other than that I would leave it alone.

33 minutes ago, andyroth said:

The stock trigger is heavy, but as a carry gun that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'd maybe put some night sights on it and call it a day.

This. And being the sexist mysoginistic a-hole that the media tells me I am...I'm assuming as a woman she has smaller hands, so the backstraps are unlikely necessary. 

5 hours ago, andyroth said:

The stock trigger is heavy, but as a carry gun that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'd maybe put some night sights on it and call it a day.

That's all I did to my Gen III 19. It's my truck gun and occasional carry. For strictly in the house, a light would round it out.

17 minutes ago, funkymonkey1111 said:

Funny that when someone wants a reliable gun that goes bang and you can stake your life on, glock gets the nod, even when you "wouldn't allow one in the house."     

Do you know how asinine you sound?

What the o.p. wrote is that his wife wanted one. 

Just buy it and teach her to shoot it and how to manipulate and be safe. She's not going to use the sights if she ever needs it to defend her life. Buy ammo and lots of it and send her to a good course or spend a few hours each week practicing. Snap caps for dry fire and having her pull from concealment and get on target and pull the trigger are the biggest things. (After safety training of course.) Don't make her over think it or be nervous of what could go wrong. Remember how much stress she'll be under if she's ever in that situation, so make it mechanical. 

Then, after she feels confident in that. You can teach malfunction drills, reloading and developing a more defensive mindset. 

Glocks DO NOT need to be modified to be super effective. If she needs help pulling the trigger, maybe a - connector would be something to consider, but it's really not that heavy. Just need to train for a smooth, deliberate pull.

I guess I ventured from the initial question. In my opinion....

A good holster that she is comfortable with, that has good retention so she doesnt have to be nervous about carrying.  

Snap caps. 

Ammo. 

Range time.

Edited by JHOWARD

Since you're a 1911 guy and so am I, I'll chime in.

Good sights are needed just like the old days of 1911's , that was the first thing I used to do and Glock's need sights that work and aren't plastic!

The Gen 4's give several grip options that the gen 3 doesn't, some smaller hands can't reach the trigger and wind up pushing shots to the left for right hand shooters. Just like 1911's get the finger on the trigger where it belongs so she can shoot it well.

Next we do trigger jobs on our 1911's so we can have the best trigger available. Good quality connector and simply polish the stuff inside the gun, lots of info on Benos and web about that.

Then shoot it until she can hit with it without thinking about how to hit with it.

Good fortune

Neil

Edited by jcc7x7

8 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

What the o.p. wrote is that his wife wanted one. 

If my wife had the hand/arm strength to shoot a 1911 id be getting her one. But the glock is comfortable in her hand and she can rack the slide. And its not too heavy.

7 hours ago, WidowsSon683 said:

If my wife had the hand/arm strength to shoot a 1911 id be getting her one. But the glock is comfortable in her hand and she can rack the slide. And its not too heavy.

My wife is 74 years old, weighs 100 lbs and not very strong.

Her favorite pistol of mine is the 1911 - the easiest for her to rack and shoot ....    :) 

find a range that rents gen 3 and 4 and have her shoot both.  i like the 4 because of the increased grip stippling, and the beavertail backstrap that, similar to a 1911, lets you get nice and high on the gun without slide bite.

fyi the gen 4's come with an extra mag (3 vs 2), so that takes away some $25 of the increased cost.

all of my glocks have aftermarket connectors and springs and i used the 4# out of the kit below on my last couple of glocks.  i have used lighter striker springs and had primer issues.

in addition to initial training etc, have her do a few idpa/uspsa matches with gun & gear to get familiar and to wring out any issues.

and yes while i love my 1911's and 2011's, a glock 31 is by my bed and g32 is my primary carry gun.

100-009-557WB 
Complete Spring Kit

Mfr Part: GHOGCSCK

On 1/7/2017 at 6:37 AM, WidowsSon683 said:

, is there truly that much difference between gen 3 and 4 to warrant spending the extra $50-100. Also what are some of the more minor, inexpensive things to do for a strictly carry glock.

to answer your question,no but a nice set of trijicon night sights is a nice touch.

As someone who has smaller hands, I'd say go with the gen4.

2 mags vs 3 mags

larger mag release (helps with small mitts)

dual spring GSA (probably a tad better on recoil)

better texture (easier to hold)

without the replaceable back straps installed it has a slightly smaller size grip compared to the gen3 (again better for smaller hands)

Try before you buy if you can, if not buy the gen4 and get a quality holster and sights.  Also try the G42,it's even smaller and is really a soft shooting pistol.

Edited by safeactionjackson

Gen 4 will be more comfortable for most females for reasons stated above.  On my girlfriend's 19 I put a set of Warren tactical sights (same as she has on her production gun), factory extended slide stop (same as she has on her production gun), frame plug, OEM minus connector and a $0.25 trigger job. For carrying inside her purse the MIC holder is great. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gen4 should come with 3 mags rather than the 2 that a red label Gen3 comes with.  A blue label 19G3 would come with 3 mags, but they're for first responders and GSSF coupon purchasers. 

The other differences are bigger/reversible mag release, much more aggressive (somewhat abrasive) grip texture, modular backstrap system, dual-spring RSA.  She should at least hold, if not shoot, both generations, make sure she can rack the slide, and pick whichever is more comfortable.

The 43 may be worth considering as well.  It's smaller, thinner, easier to carry and easier to carry a spare mag for.

Gen 3, extended mag release, Ghost 3.5lbs connector.  Polish trigger bar.  Sights.  Finished.

The Gen 4 trigger is a bag of dog crap out of the box, and the trigger bar requires reshaping to make it as nice as a Gen 3 no matter what connector you put in there.  The Gen 4 frame tends to have more material where the trigger bar rides, so some guns REQUIRE lube in that area or the trigger won't reset.

• 1 month later...

Save the money get the gen 3. Use the extra cash on practice ammo. Carry gun I would get some defensive sights. I like the plain black rears with a big orange or green dot front. But see what she likes. I find them the easiest to find in a hurry. Have her handle a 43 also.