rowdyb

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

that's not deliciously evil, that's dumb. But I can see where old people who shoot really slow would want to try stuff like that to 'slow down' people who practice.

What do you mean?  That's a perfectly realistic depiction of Andre the Giant carrying Verne Troyer in a Babybjorn and Mr. Troye goes psycho and starts shooting people.  I mean, that target combination really puts the P in USPSA.  :lol:

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

that's not deliciously evil, that's dumb. But I can see where old people who shoot really slow would want to try stuff like that to 'slow down' people who practice.

How is that any different than the tuxedo or a regular target where half of it is covered by a NS? On the contrary, for people that do  practice then it should not be that hard of a target. 

41 minutes ago, tanks said:

How is that any different than the tuxedo or a regular target where half of it is covered by a NS? On the contrary, for people that do  practice then it should not be that hard of a target. 

I'd venture to guess he was referring to the "drop turners and swingers" portion. Sure you can still get a hit on brown with that little dude swinging, but seriously more difficult to shoot for an a or close C.

On 1/5/2017 at 6:12 PM, rowdyb said:

I just thought of a deliciously evil idea for mounting them in existing stands, on drop turners and swingers.

20170105_180832.jpg

We put this exact target up at an indoor match a few months ago at 25 yards. Fun match. Fun target. 

18 hours ago, tanks said:

Guess that's true as most people just hope not to get a Mike on swingers and glad for anything on brown.

Guess I'm not most people ;) Swingers are a bit evil but holy moly put that on a swinger and I'll kick an MD in the nards.

Great idea, no one will ever think we're training to shoot babies.

I can't find the BOD meeting minutes where they first discussed these targets, but I seem to remember something about the reduced targets being further down range than all the full-size targets.

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

Great idea, no one will ever think we're training to shoot babies.

I can't find the BOD meeting minutes where they first discussed these targets, but I seem to remember something about the reduced targets being further down range than all the full-size targets.

I thought orignally they were not to be mixed with full size within stages?

I thought orignally they were not to be mixed with full size within stages?

I don't remember how long ago I read that in the BOD minutes. I looked thru the last 2 years but couldn't find anything, that doesn't really mean much though with my outstanding man-vision.

I have had to explain to a woman who was spectating at a match that the mini-poppers simulate distance, not children. Seriously. We should be respectful of this perception as we implement the mini targets into our matches.

We have some bays that are fairly narrow, even though they have decent depth.  These would make good side berm targets on narrow bays.  I suppose we could make some target stand adapters to get the sticks closer together.

On 1/10/2017 at 9:32 PM, PatJones said:

i have had to explain to a woman who was spectating at a match that the mini-poppers simulate distance, not children. Seriously. We should be respectful of this perception as we implement the mini targets into our matches.

there's no fixing stupid, and i don't think we need to really take it into account. note that regular poppers are child-sized too.

16 minutes ago, motosapiens said:
there's no fixing stupid, and i don't think we need to really take it into account. note that regular poppers are child-sized too.

How was her perception stupid? She was not a practical shooter. We shoot targets with heads, even our poppers. When you put a small target with a head directly next to a large target with a head what do you expect people to see?

We aren't IDPA, we don't typically build scenario type stages. I think a lot of us get desensitized to what our sport looks like to an outsider. Sometimes it's the clay shooters or rifle shooters at a club that make decisions that effect us, we are the weirdos running around with loaded guns.

Edited by PatJones
Spelling

I don't remember how long ago I read that in the BOD minutes. I looked thru the last 2 years but couldn't find anything, that doesn't really mean much though with my outstanding man-vision.

I have had to explain to a woman who was spectating at a match that the mini-poppers simulate distance, not children. Seriously. We should be respectful of this perception as we implement the mini targets into our matches.

Lol, at my clubs concealed carry match one of the women shooting, said similar thing but I don't want to shoot the children!! She ended up shooting them anyways, but called him dogs instead lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I totally get their perception of the smaller targets.  Years ago  we were much more sensitive to the targets, attitude, and even the cloths worn at  matches.   For several years ANY camo was a huge no-no.  Anything that was perceived as being "tactical" was frowned upon. Discussions of using smaller poppers included the possibility of the non-shooting public perceiving them as being smaller people.   I remember going to matches that had targets with the upper scoring zones cut off (the "head").  That is how the Classic target was born.  We are so into the game that we understand they are just smaller and more challenging targets, but I can see how they can be perceived by non-shooters as something else.  USPSA used to be very sensitive to that, but not so much in recent years as times have changed.  (just an observation, not a political statement)

4 hours ago, bsand said:

Lol, at my clubs concealed carry match one of the women shooting, said similar thing but I don't want to shoot the children!! She ended up shooting them anyways, but called him dogs instead lol.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I say don't succumb to the PC crowd. Nobody outside the shooting games think we are anything but a bunch of gun nuts any damn way. 

Hell im sure the ASPCA would love to hear she called them dogs!

we are not going to win anybody over who is not like minded when it comes to guns and shooting

Sarge, it's not the "PC" crowd. I experienced that reaction from another shooter. She didn't shoot USPSA, but she was a "gun person."

I do think we need to consider how we are perceived by non-USPSA shooters. I design stages locally and I won't put a mini popper right next to a standard popper. I won't put a reduced target close to, or in the foreground of a standard target. It seems common sense to me.

I shoot USPSA for the shooting challenge. I'm not a tactical guy. Why does everyone immediately play the PC card when someone talks about appearances? Don't folks ever step back and see what we look like when someone is going like hell with a PCC on metric targets?

Sarge, it's not the "PC" crowd. I experienced that reaction from another shooter. She didn't shoot USPSA, but she was a "gun person."

I do think we need to consider how we are perceived by non-USPSA shooters. I design stages locally and I won't put a mini popper right next to a standard popper. I won't put a reduced target close to, or in the foreground of a standard target. It seems common sense to me.

I shoot USPSA for the shooting challenge. I'm not a tactical guy. Why does everyone immediately play the PC card when someone talks about appearances? Don't folks ever step back and see what we look like when someone is going like hell with a PCC on metric targets?

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning of not putting different sized but similar targets near each other.

I was at a match at one of the local clubs that has a barn full of steel. The stage had several mini pepper poppers set immediately next to full sized pepper poppers. The wife/girlfriend/significant somebody of another shooter had the biggest puppy eyes ever when she thought the mini poppers represented children. I explained it was to represent more distance, but her first thought wasn't how difficult that shot combo would be...

1 minute ago, PatJones said:

I was at a match at one of the local clubs that has a barn full of steel. The stage had several mini pepper poppers set immediately next to full sized pepper poppers. The wife/girlfriend/significant somebody of another shooter had the biggest puppy eyes ever when she thought the mini poppers represented children. I explained it was to represent more distance, but her first thought wasn't how difficult that shot combo would be...

Honestly, quit bringing them to the matches.

Seriously.  We shoot paper and steel, not children.  If they can't wrap their heads around that, perhaps it's time to move on....