Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best lighweight bcg

Mindreader1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

You're right, looks identical. Good to know a shiny coating costs $200.

It comes in shiny coating also for $140.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/m16-lightweight-bolt-carrier-group-5-56x45mm-nitride-sku078000407-116267-214089.aspx

Edited by 5pins

22 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Wow, shaved off even more weight compared to the AIM. I'd be interested to try that if I ever build a second AR. The price is good too.

Yep, this one has caught my eye.

If anyone has one, I would love to hear a review.

My Brownells LW carrier came in today. Looks good. Light weight, nice finish, and well staked Key screws. Not chromed lined but the the bolt is MPI'd. I should have a chance to try it out tomorrow.

zNghfj5m.jpg?1

Really love the look, finish, and customer service I got from iron city. Got the C4V gold color coating and it is as easy to clean as advertised. If not better. Not a bad price either!! 

On 3/2/2018 at 9:01 PM, Snausages32 said:

I saw this and had to pick one up too.  Installed a superlative arms adjustable gas block and dropped this guy in today.  Hopefully I'll be able to get to the range this weekend.  I weighed the new BCG (Nickel Boron), and it came in at 8.25oz.

As a review - it works great, and cleans VERY easily - noticeably better than the nickel boron full mass one it replaced.  400 rounds in before I cleaned it.

• 2 months later...

My J.P. has 2  full barrels and I'm thinking about 3/4 of the third one worth of wear, and it is still working GREAT!! these were all chrome lined barrels and represent over 80,000 rounds of wear! I have broken and or "worn out" several other types of lightened carriers, in varrious rifles, but my practice rifle still lives! Best lightened carriers are J.P.!!!!!!!!

20 hours ago, Wheelsonly said:

When lightening a buffer what do you guys do to the buffer spring and weight ? 

Remove cylindrical masses inside buffer. Replace with 7mm Mag case and a few of the cushions. Leave spring the same.

• 3 weeks later...

The bolt carrier group can not cause any head space issues.....the bolt it's self, is the only thing that can effect head space. some of the earlier J.P. enhanced bolts were on "short side". I sent one back, due to the exact issues you found, Adamge, and the one I got back from them was perfect!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2017 at 5:54 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Put 200 rounds on the Surmount Lyte BCG today. There was slightly less recoil than my JP LMOS setup, and a hair less muzzle rise. The weird part was it took the same gas block setting to lock back on empty that I was already running with the JP. It's pretty tight though, I'll try adjusting it when it's broken in and running smoother.

The ultra low mass system is not a game changer over a low mass system in my opinion, I don't foresee my scores gaining anything from it. However it is incrementally better than what I had so I'll run it and see what durability is like. If it ends up having too short of a lifespan I'll go back to a steel carrier and not feel like I'm missing out on anything, but if it lasts that would be great.

Update: about 3000 rounds on the Surmount and it failed miserably. In a 500 round span it went from great to not locking back on empty, then needing more gas to keep from short stroking to finally running the gas block wide open with intermittent lock back.

Took it to Nordic and it finally s#!t the bed on me. Turned my rifle into a short stroking double feeding turd that required on the clock pocket knife stabbing to finish the stage.

Just put my trusty JP back in and I was able to turn the gas way down to get back in the sweet spot. I'm done with aluminum.

Update: about 3000 rounds on the Surmount and it failed miserably. In a 500 round span it went from great to not locking back on empty, then needing more gas to keep from short stroking to finally running the gas block wide open with intermittent lock back.
Took it to Nordic and it finally s#!t the bed on me. Turned my rifle into a short stroking double feeding turd that required on the clock pocket knife stabbing to finish the stage.
Just put my trusty JP back in and I was able to turn the gas way down to get back in the sweet spot. I'm done with aluminum.
I had the same experience except I never got it to run right even when new. Tried two of them in 3 different rifles and couldn't get them to lock back reliably. Surmount was also incredibly difficult to deal with.

Moved to an Iron City BCG and haven't looked back.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I love my JP low mass carrier. I have the stainless version as I was worried about the longevity of an aluminum bcg. Add this to JP's adjustable gas block and silent capture spring and you have a sweet shooting rifle. 

I know it doesn't have a big name behind it but quality on mine is great. It is the Right To Bear BCG wiht Nitride finish. Two great things about this; first is it only weighs .8 oz, second is is only costs $60! It's on sale for 50% off and in stock...

https://www.righttobear.com/RTB-AR15-Lightweight-Carrier-Black-Nitride-carr-p/sbn16-lw-co.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...