Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best lighweight bcg

Mindreader1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tt350z said:

Anyone seen or put hands on the Shooting Innovations LMB?

I was gonna get the Faxon but I saw this and it was $80 cheaper than the Faxon. I ordered one but I'm deployed so mines just sitting in a box at a friends house.

Damn wish I saw this sooner.  Just bought a surmount aluminum one for more $. They look pretty similar.

Edited by Garmil

24 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I'm 98.2% certain Rainier is selling Surmount parts under the Shooting Innovations name. Surmount has a sale going on right now, the Lyte BCG for $150.

It does look to be the same physically. Thanks for the info! Man, I'm digging that blue one...

30 minutes ago, CStrabala said:

Not if you keep shooting the way you did this year. I'm glad I didn't have to shoot against you. I'll pick one up a try it. 

Oh stop it, you're making me blush Chris. How long till you bring your son out to show us how it's done?

• 2 weeks later...

Put 200 rounds on the Surmount Lyte BCG today. There was slightly less recoil than my JP LMOS setup, and a hair less muzzle rise. The weird part was it took the same gas block setting to lock back on empty that I was already running with the JP. It's pretty tight though, I'll try adjusting it when it's broken in and running smoother.

The ultra low mass system is not a game changer over a low mass system in my opinion, I don't foresee my scores gaining anything from it. However it is incrementally better than what I had so I'll run it and see what durability is like. If it ends up having too short of a lifespan I'll go back to a steel carrier and not feel like I'm missing out on anything, but if it lasts that would be great.

I won't know till I've got a few thousand more rounds on the aluminum but I can't imagine it will last as long as steel.

At the moment my verdict is that steel is probably the best all around balance of performance and simplicity of maintenance, with the JP being my favorite of the small number I've messed with.

I also haven't shot any hotter heavy bullet loads with the aluminum carrier, who knows, it might not like those at all.

54 minutes ago, mattmann said:

My fear is reliability. I don’t want to replace a $300 BCG every 6-12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been running the JP aluminum carrier in one rifle this year, put 3,000 rnds on it with no problems.  I’ve heard reports of 20,000 rnds on them and still going.  My understanding is the JP has a special coating that makes the carrier harder for longevity.

I ordered a surmount to see how it does.

I also have a gun that has the Rubber City titanium carrier, it is really nice.  It’s lighter than the steel low mass carriers out there, but not as light as the aluminum.  I would expect the titanium to last as long as the steel, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone tried the 2A Armament Regulated Bolt Carrier seen here?  A lot about it seems really intriguing.  Titanium carrier body (available in QPQ Nitride) with the rear portion of the body 7075-T6 aluminum.  Adjustable gas in the BCG, adjusted right through the ejection port.  Total weight 5.95 oz, with bolt.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:43 PM, Mindreader1 said:

I'm planning a lightweight precision rig. Going with either a 16 inch lothar walther middy or a 18 inch satern rifle length. What would be the best bcg choice for these barrels? I'm planning to use a slr adjustable block as well. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Check out the UMtactical.com page.  They have a killer new lightweight bcg.  Ive got roughly 5k rounds thru mine with no hick ups.  You def want to run an adjustable gas block with it and I run the JP silent capture as well.  Its a lot like shooting a 22lr.

Thank you to all who used the Iron city Code. I really do apreciate that. They make killer products and are a small company but always trying to improve. LM223 is still good for a discount there.

What’s that good for? I just picked one up off the classifieds here that’s TiN coated for a great price but may buy another if that code is good!

What’s that good for? I just picked one up off the classifieds here that’s TiN coated for a great price but may buy another if that code is good!

10% off any Iron City Rifle works carrier. Great BCG! f06390cad9e8169089717f314600bf1b.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Always good to see more options.

These look to be the same as the cryptic coatings bcg, but $200 less.  My guess is they're both made by toolcraft, just coated differently.  Looks like a great budget option.