Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Shot Case Lube & Powder Sticking

3GDad

I've started to use One Shot case lube when loading 9mm and 40 cal and my press is operating much more smoothly.  I wet tumble brass and the case lube really helps.  I let the brass sit for about 10 minutes in the case feeder to dry before running it through the press but not sure if that is long enough.  I've noticed the lube causes the powder to stick to the interior brass case walls, which was affecting the accuracy of my powder drop measurements. I've started to use a non lubed case when measuring the powder drops, to insure all of the powder dumps onto the scale for accurate powder measurements. I'm wondering if the lube affects the powder ignition, and if all the powder will ignite in cases where the lube hasn't fully dried and causes powder to clump or stick to the case walls.

Sounds like it isn't drying.  A casefeeder is a terrible place to put something to dry.  Walls restrict airflow.  It really isn't drying, the solvent is flashing off.  I use One-Shot, and spray into the case mouth in order to get it to release smoothly from the powder funnel.

I let lubed cases dry outside in the wind, where they will dry.

I am not the expert on this subject.  But I use spray case lube on pistol cases but very little.  I lay all the cases on their sides in a tray (wife's old cake pan) so no open case necks are sticking up and give one pump of the spray over the whole group.  I roll them around a little and let them dry while I get other stuff ready.   Not every case gets "wet" but it seems like the wel ones leave a little lube in the sizing die for the dry ones.   I Try to keep the lube out of the case neck and away from any place that powder will touch.  This seems to be enough that the press operates smoothly but I have no data to back this up.  I have never stuck a case and At least it puts my over active mind at ease.  

Edited by Rustygun

Sounds like I've got to modify my process. Some of the case mouths were turned up when I sprayed. Was hoping some lube in the case mouth would insure the powder funnel wouldn't stick, but seems they weren't sufficiently dry enough.  I will try the outside air drying technique.

Wondering if the 60 rounds I've loaded will be affected when I go to Chrono.  I was working up a batch of loads for a major PF recipe and not sure if I'm wasting my time with a trip to the range with this batch. 

I have been using one-shot for at least 15 years by laying the cases down in a dedicated lube rag, spraying the sides lightly, and then picking up the rag and rolling the cases around in the rag to spread the lube. I then throw the cases into a container to standby for loading. I don't think that I ever went right into the casefeeder but I normally prepare all the cases that I am going to need before I start the next loading session. I guess minimum drying time I have used is ~ 0:30.

I put the cases in a large zip lock bag. Spray one shot into the bag, close, and shake up the bag to distribute the lube. If I give sufficient time for the lube to dry, I never have problems with powder sticking to the cases. Remember, one shot is a wax based lube, not petroleum based.

I spray a few shots into a gallon ziplock bag, pour in 200 cases and massage the cases around in the bag to distribute the lube on the outside of the cases only.  No lube in the cases no problems with powder sticking in the cases. 

Need to let it dry completely.  Takes about 5-10 minutes temp depending.  I just throw mine in a cake pan, with a piece of cardboard in the bottom, give them a quick spray, roll them around, and let them dry.  Maybe 200 at a time.  Load the case feeder with 200, and load up another pan to dry.

used to just spray my cases in a bin, or case feeder and had the same problems with powder sticking in the cases, and I think I generally used too much lube on my pistol brass

recently I started to put on a nitrile glove, and spray that with lube, then I run that hand thru the brass, did that about 4-5 times and no more problems with powder sticking and I used less lube

I put the cases in a shoebox and lay them all down.  Then I spray them lightly with the one shot and roll them around a bit and let them sit for a few minutes before I drop them in the case feeder.  Haven't had an issue yet.

I wouldn't worry about it. if you read the oneshot details it states that it won't contaminate powder or primers and that is in line with my experience. like you I just dump mine in a bag and spray so some does go inside cases. I do notice the odd flake of powder stuck just inside a case neck. if I see it I wipe it off with my finger (don't want it interfering with the bullet seating).

In my experience it won't affect chrono or complete powder burn at all. it's also not affecting the actual charge the case gets in any meaningful way. 

I would just keep doing what you're doing. i don't believe it'll cause any ill effects. and i also find things a little smoother with some cases having some lube inside (smoother release from the powder die).

35 minutes ago, ano said:

oneshot is pretty much the only lube that works, so keep on using it. 

I don't know, I used OS for 5+ years until I made some Dillon lube. Almost feels like it's not sizing at all. Way slicker than OS.

Wow, some of you are Waaaay too tedious...laying down each case before spraying with lube???

I'm with Sarge, Dillon lube all the way, OS doesn't feel like it changes the required pressure on the handle.

And just spray the lube into an big empty stainless or plastic bowl, add brass and shake, then dump into case feeder. Results? Lube on the OUTSIDE of the case where its needed.

And besides, it won't mess with powder or primers anyway....

jmho

jj

And its been my experience that waiting until the lube is "dry" is a waste of time...

Edited by RiggerJJ

It really doesn't take much to go a long way. I put a couple hundred pieces in a two pound coffee container, spray with a 3-4 second burst and shake the brass up to spread it around. Then I throw it in the case feeder of my 650. 

I've never seen nor detected any primer or powder fouling. They just go boom.

fwiw

dj

39 minutes ago, ano said:

best lube you dont have to wipe off.. and that doesnt mess up primers/powders....

for just sizeing, and processing lanolin is better.

There's no danger of hurting powder with any of the reloading lubes unless you soak everything down and load them wet. lol

you can actually thin lanolin out so much that there's barely any residue left. 

Since I gauge everything I tumble after loading anyway. Even OS will attract enough fine particles to gunk up a gauge.

When I was using OS I found pure silicone spray to be just as effective.

I agree with rigger. I just dump a few scoops of brass in a plastic shoe box and spray lube in there and shake the box around then dump in CF.

On Tuesday, September 06, 2016 at 11:38 PM, Rustygun said:

I am not the expert on this subject.  But I use spray case lube on pistol cases but very little.  I lay all the cases on their sides in a tray (wife's old cake pan) so no open case necks are sticking up and give one pump of the spray over the whole group.  I roll them around a little and let them dry while I get other stuff ready.   Not every case gets "wet" but it seems like the wel ones leave a little lube in the sizing die for the dry ones.   I Try to keep the lube out of the case neck and away from any place that powder will touch.  This seems to be enough that the press operates smoothly but I have no data to back this up.  I have never stuck a case and At least it puts my over active mind at ease.  

+1, I try to keep the on the out side.

On 9/7/2016 at 10:31 AM, Intel6 said:

I spray a few shots into a gallon ziplock bag, pour in 200 cases and massage the cases around in the bag to distribute the lube on the outside of the cases only.  No lube in the cases no problems with powder sticking in the cases. 

Same here, important is that one adds the lube first to the baggie, so you are not spraying it onto/into cases.

17 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

Same here, important is that one adds the lube first to the baggie, so you are not spraying it onto/into cases.

It's important to understand, short of a flake or two of powder sticking to it , OS or even lanolin based lubes are totally harmless regarding performance if used properly. Both should ideally be dry before dropping powder.

FWIW I spray lube right on the cases in a plastic box. Been doing in this order for years with never any ill effects.

Lube goes a long way. It shouldn't sound like we are using spray paint . Just a little dab will do ya.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:59 AM, 3GDad said:

Sounds like I've got to modify my process. Some of the case mouths were turned up when I sprayed. Was hoping some lube in the case mouth would insure the powder funnel wouldn't stick, but seems they weren't sufficiently dry enough.  I will try the outside air drying technique.

Wondering if the 60 rounds I've loaded will be affected when I go to Chrono.  I was working up a batch of loads for a major PF recipe and not sure if I'm wasting my time with a trip to the range with this batch. 

Dump a few hundred rounds in a plastic bag, do a 1 second burst, move the brass a bit, and then another couple 1 second bursts. Then work the brass around in a bag for a minute then dump into a cardboard tray for 5-10 minutes. It will be dry enough for loading. If you are going to load a few thousand rounds then just spend a couple minutes getting them all done before you start. (keep the bag closed when not used as it will still have residual case lube in there.) You don't need to take it outside, lay the cases on their sides, stand on your head or send your first born to Dillon or even Hornady)

When you check for your powder drop, you shouldn't need to use a case at all. Just place the little powder measure pan that probably came with your scale (also available at any store that sells reloading supplies) under the powder drop and cycle 5-10 times by hand. Then weigh the result and adjust as necessary. If you are trying to weigh a single charge on a pistol case you'll drive yourself nuts trying to get the measurement exact.