Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mobil 1 for lube

leon1333

I use the left over drips from my 1 qt and 5 qt jugs from the car/truck oil/filter changes.  I set the jugs at an angle for a few days then pour what will pour out into a 1 qt bottle and refill my little plastic squeeze bottles from that.

What weight?  Whatever I put in a vehicle.  0W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40.  I don't think the guns can tell the difference, and it's all mixed together in the 1 qt. bottle anyway.  I've been using mostly Mobil 1 for about 7 or 8 years now.  Works great.  If it will protect/lube my car engine at 6,000 rpm it'll work on my guns.

Mobil 1 V Twin 20w-50w is my choice and it performs perfectly as a 'heavy' lube for the barrel/bushing/frame rails on my handguns and for the BCG on my ARs. Being a synthetic, without petroleum, it doesn't carbonize under heat and pressure. It just stays "lube".

It was designed for air cooled motorcycle engines.. which is exactly what a handgun is. It's thick enough to stay where you put it. And, an inexpensive quart bottle is almost a lifetime supply. I don't use it as a 'fine lube" for trigger parts... but for everything else it's hard to beat.

I finally got some needle Oilers and ass ok. As I'm out of slip 2000 I'm gonna try the Mobil 1. I think the slip 2k is a little too thin and I have gone to slide guide except for the things I can't reach in a field strip

red

i have also been using 0w20 in the summer (Louisiana) and no issues so far. guns run great and i have to wipe off old lube to add new lube.  i field strip mine every 500 rounds. making sure i wasn't damaging something in a long term perspective. 

• 1 month later...