Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer for brass tumbler

PatJones

I'd like a timer that I could plug my brass tumbler into and set for an hour or two and have it automatically shut off. Anyone know of anything like this for sale? I've looked around the web and I've only found power strips that have a timer that works on a 24 hour schedule.

I found the Belkin conserve socket. I was hoping for a 1 hour option. Price is right though.

The light timers all seem to work on a 24 hour cycle. I don't need to turn it on at noon every day.

What's the model name from Lowe's?

I have this one on my tumbler with a 1/4 horse 1725rpm motor, been working perfectly for the last couple years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RMZ57W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are what gave me the idea. I rent, so installing one in the wall isn't an option. I'm hoping for a plug in solution.

Anyone know about darkroom timers? The Gralab 300 appears to have plugs on the side, are they switched off by the timer? Not cheap new, but they're available used online.

I have this one on my tumbler with a 1/4 horse 1725rpm motor, been working perfectly for the last couple years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RMZ57W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are what gave me the idea. I rent, so installing one in the wall isn't an option. I'm hoping for a plug in solution.

Anyone know about darkroom timers? The Gralab 300 appears to have plugs on the side, are they switched off by the timer? Not cheap new, but they're available used online.

You don't mount it to the wall it goes on the tumbler. I'll put a picture below. All of you guys have to be careful with those in line plug in timers, most of them can not take many amps and could cause a fire. Make sure it is rated for the amperage of your motor.

20150605_181912_zpsdbuwjysu.jpg

Edited by louu

Says its rated for 15 amps. I'm probably going to try one. I just used the regular dial type, but if i forgot about it it would start back up the next day...

Cheapest I could find it 8.95 shipped:

http://www.thehardwarecity.com/products/50030-Indoor-Countdown-Timer,-White/T006034?gclid=CjwKEAjwrIa9BRD5_dvqqazMrFESJACdv27GG0c5oaXC2gwVMnqwAtVuIizXoUwCjEqkzM13fe-hcxoCMCvw_wcB

^^^ Yeah, I've done that and end up with extra shiny brass. :roflol:

If you get a decent dial type they are good for 15 amps, using a three prong grounded one is important to help avoid shock. Most of the typical lyman, frankford, thumblers type vibratory tumbler motors are only drawing 1-3 amps. . I can see ow the count down timer would be nice especially if there is the possibility of forgetting about the brass.

attachicon.gifd631471c-73e3-40fe-9441-c1558d8f705e_300.jpg

This is what I use. Don't worry about the time of day. I just set the on off to 2hrs and if I don't get back to it in a day, it runs another 2. Just spin the dial till its on.

I've got something similar from Harbor Freight. I also don't worry about the "time of day". I just have it setup to run for IIRC 4 hours...and I turn the dial appropriately to activate it. When I'm done, I turn off the switch on the power strip it plugs into.

This is what I use. Don't worry about the time of day. I just set the on off to 2hrs and if I don't get back to it in a day, it runs another 2. Just spin the dial till its on.

Those red clips should shut it off and the blues should turn it on. If you take all the blues out the one red will shut it off and it won't turn back on. I suppose not all of them may work like that but the few I have seen do.

Those red clips should shut it off and the blues should turn it on. If you take all the blues out the one red will shut it off and it won't turn back on. I suppose not all of them may work like that but the few I have seen do.

LOL!!! That is so simple, I never even thought about it! (Doing the V8 head slap).