Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which primers, your experience

Fred63

Loading 9 mm at 175 pf and did my testing with Fed SPP.

I'm happy pressure is ok but would like to go to SRP as I believe they contain pressure better, I have tried Rem 71/2 SR Benchrest but had 3 /100 fail to ignite.

I've found a lot of conflicting rankings on internet and would appreciate your first hand experience about hard/soft and ignition rate with what brand / type you have found works best.

Thanks

SRPs will contain pressure "better"? How so? Imho a rifle primer in a pistol will hide pressure signs, and can cause flame cutting on the breachface because they don't seal as well as pistol primers with the lower pressures in pistols. If you have a good load with pistol primers, why change what is working?

I would continue to use pistol primers...I use win spp...even thou I have many rifle primers...

jj

SRPs will contain pressure "better"? How so? Imho a rifle primer in a pistol will hide pressure signs, and can cause flame cutting on the breachface because they don't seal as well as pistol primers with the lower pressures in pistols. If you have a good load with pistol primers, why change what is working?

I would continue to use pistol primers...I use win spp...even thou I have many rifle primers...

jj

Sure 9MAJOR isn't up near rifle pressure but it certainly isn't a low pressure load either. SRP seal plenty well in 9M

jj

Sure 9MAJOR isn't up near rifle pressure but it certainly isn't a low pressure load either. SRP seal plenty well in 9M
That has not been my experience. 3-4 years ago I checked the guns of bunch of 9 major shooters in my area, and the ones that were using rifle primers had more breachface erosion than the ones using pistol primers. It was really obvious. It was more than enough to make my mind up on which primer to use in my 9 major gun. The guys using rifle primers were really proud, kinda like they were really being macho for using rifle primers...

A primer is a primer. They all do the same thing, ignite the powder. Using a rifle primer with 7-9 gns of powder that is designed for 24gns or more is an overkill and unnecessary. Couple that with harder cups that don't seal in the pocket and cause flame cutting on the breachface, and no appreciable velocity difference or general advantage...well, seems to me that the answer is obvious...

Jmho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Fed srps work good for me.

I bought 5000 remingtons and had issues with light strikes. I put an extended firing pin and a 19lb mainspring in which cured it. It cost about $20 and I'd be confident using the rems in matches now.

I didn't notice a difference in how the gun handled so ill leave it like that.

jj

Not saying srp are better, it may mean I don't have to explain my slightly flattened primers to well meaning critics who don't believe in loading outside published data every time I shoot.

As above I did all my testing with Fed spp so as to get real indcation of pressure.

Unfortunately I just picked the hardest srp ( Rem 7 1/2 ) to try. Will possibly try Fed srp next.

Best quality I have had have come from CCI. Federal has been better than Remington and Winchester. I feel Tula primers are on par with Federal. Quality meaning number of bad primers per case. All SRPs.

jj

That has not been my experience. 3-4 years ago I checked the guns of bunch of 9 major shooters in my area, and the ones that were using rifle primers had more breachface erosion than the ones using pistol primers. It was really obvious. It was more than enough to make my mind up on which primer to use in my 9 major gun. The guys using rifle primers were really proud, kinda like they were really being macho for using rifle primers...

A primer is a primer. They all do the same thing, ignite the powder. Using a rifle primer with 7-9 gns of powder that is designed for 24gns or more is an overkill and unnecessary. Couple that with harder cups that don't seal in the pocket and cause flame cutting on the breachface, and no appreciable velocity difference or general advantage...well, seems to me that the answer is obvious...

Jmho

jj

Nothing macho about using rifle primers! lol and locally I haven't heard or seen any of the open guys having problems with SRP.

Only guys I know for sure who use SPP are infinity guys because they get told to use them.

Didn't mean to start this debate all over again, just wanted advice on what's not too hard to fire reliably but hard enough to not to deform much.

Gun is czechmate so should have average firing pin force etc. please only those using srp give advice.

I don't shoot too many rifle primers in pistols, however I have shot a fair number of Federal small rifle primers in 38 super and they punch pretty easily. Small pistol magnum's might be of help but I have never heard a definitive report on the relative hardness of their cups.

Fed srp's soft,good sd & es , no erosion I use them for everything major& minor

,win when I can't get fed

CCI always good just more money in my area

S&b but spp

Soft to hard list

Best quality I have had have come from CCI. Federal has been better than Remington and Winchester. I feel Tula primers are on par with Federal. Quality meaning number of bad primers per case. All SRPs.

So than quality varies with brands. I have been using CCI and until this last batch, have not had problems. But batch e29xxx has been very bad. Like 20% bad. But, I bought an other box of the CCI to see how it goes and so far so good. If I have 1 problem with the new batch, I change brands.

We have been using s&b but have had a terrible batch this last box. 1 stage had 8 fail to fire. No they arent high primers. 1 of the 8 fired on a restrike. We have loaded several thou of these no problems until now.

Back to winchesters.

The S&B and Tula/Wolf Primers are some of the hardest I have ever tried to use. I have loaded 9 Major with SRP Fed and CCI. Also what about a Magnum SPP that should have a thicker cup.