Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to this open stuff.

93notch

So i traded/ sold my sti for a open set up glock 17/34 hybrid, It has a cheely 3 port comp on it and i do reload so i am looking for some good starting points. My dad is shooting a 38 super so if we can find a bullet that both guns will run that would be ideal. The guy i am getting it from gave me some starting points to try, He was saying to use WAC or HS6 and i dont have either of those. I have some unique, power pistol, and some hp 38.

This is my first endevor shooting open so bear with all my questions

Get 1lb. each of the two powders he suggested and experiment. I think 124gr bullets are a wise choice, and you can try a little heavier. I have one friend using a Glock for Open who uses 147gr bullets for no other reason than they are super accurate in his gun. Using a Carver 3-port comp, I think you will have the best results with the WAC. HS-6 is a wonderful powder, but a lot slower and you have to use more of it. You'll generate more gas, but I don't think the 3-port comp will clear it. Any that doesn't exit the ports will jet out the front and increase recoil.

If you cannot get as flat shooting as you want with the 3-port, try Carver's 4-port or the SJC 11-port.

Get 1lb. each of the two powders he suggested and experiment. I think 124gr bullets are a wise choice, and you can try a little heavier. I have one friend using a Glock for Open who uses 147gr bullets for no other reason than they are super accurate in his gun. Using a Carver 3-port comp, I think you will have the best results with the WAC. HS-6 is a wonderful powder, but a lot slower and you have to use more of it. You'll generate more gas, but I don't think the 3-port comp will clear it. Any that doesn't exit the ports will jet out the front and increase recoil.

If you cannot get as flat shooting as you want with the 3-port, try Carver's 4-port or the SJC 11-port.

Ransom Rest testing with a 3 port compensator shows that gunpowders that require more weight for the same velocity means less muzzle rise, which contradicts your statement.

the guy i got it from said he never shot major through it. only minor loads

Five years ago, I developed a WW231 load with 115 gr bullets that was very nice - made PF 145 or so.

Very pleasant to shoot in my TruBor.

I had some extra WW231 lying around, but don't remember how much I was using back then.

Hello: Use the powders you have for minor loads if you want. The best 9mm open powders are HS-6, Winchester Auto Comp, Ramshot Silhouette. These are all great powders to use and are easy to find as well as inexpensive. I use 115 grain Montana Gold JHP and some 115grain Acme bullets. You will want to try some 115,124, 125 grain bullets to see what you like. When you shoot an open gun you want lots of gas so the comp can keep the muzzle from rising. If you shoot minor loads the comp turns into a barrel weight unless you use a powder that generates lots of gas. Have fun shooting open. Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...

I did some load development this weekend with autocomp, hs6, and 231. I like the 231 load the most. We also got a pound of 3n38 but didnt do any load work with it. We got it mainly for my dads 38 super major gun.

I did some load development this weekend with autocomp, hs6, and 231. I like the 231 load the most. We also got a pound of 3n38 but didnt do any load work with it. We got it mainly for my dads 38 super major gun.

If you're interested in shooting major I suggest you set the 231 aside and work up a load with HS6, 8+ gr under a 115 will get you there.

If you're interested in shooting major I suggest you set the 231 aside and work up a load with HS6, 8+ gr under a 115 will get you there.
Yeah, stop messing with 231/HP38 to try getting to major. You'll have problems if you keep "testing" it

the gun is set up for minor not major. I ended up at 4.4 grains of 231 under a 125 and settled there. The hs6 and autocomp were both very snappy and smokey.

Oh got it. In that case ditch the HS6 and WAC. There are at least 10 powders that are better than either in minor.

I have loaded WAC to minor but it was kind of harsh and dirty. HS6 is even slower!