Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad JUJU?.... Glock's & metal mag releases

mikeAZ

My shooting buddy, who had metal extended mag releases in all his Glock pistols, just started having problems with his Glock factory magazines in both his 34 &35... The mags were falling out while he was shooting in competition.. When looking at them, there is not much left of the original mag notch in the mag its self. (I put Glock plastic mag releases ones back his guns and he has that temporally fixed that issue, he had to buy all new magazines (10 in all). A bit costly.....

Then last night, as I was shooting my JR carbine, metal AR style mag release @ Rio Salado's rifle/shotgun/match, MY Glock 33 round mag fell out of my JR carbine. ( Rifle inside the barrel start, may have brushed the inside of the barrel on the way out, but this should not have cause the mag to drop.). (The JR carbine has been near 100% runner in it's career, only issue was a defective firing pin that was quickly replaced.), ..... The JR has a metal mag release and the 33 rounder's mag notch was near gone!!!....DANG IT!!!...

I'm also thinking that the Glock plastic mags and mag release are self-lubricating to some extent under normal circumstances....I may try some JB weld but it's not looking good.....

You can actually repair these worn ledges on Glock mags... I did three for a friend about a year ago... I just used one of his unused backstraps, melted it and built up the area on the mag... Made a sharp ledge with a cutting wheel on a dremel, and then sanded it down smooth... It worked perfectly and only took about 15-20 min to do all three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DreGarciaTAT2

I'd suppose the sure fire trick would be a curved metal lip (at least on the bottom of the mag catch cut in the mag) installed when they are manufactured. Since Glock molds the metal slide rails in the frames, it should be do able, but @ $20 a pop for mags, probably not practical?...Things wear out.....and not many Glock user's are changing mags often or repeatedly (as in competition)....I've emailed JR carbine's but no news from them????....I have a early production 9mm version and the mag well is sloppy from the get go. (It can be replaced). Now those 33 rounders are a bit more than $20.00, I will try welding up the mag lip on those.... In the mean time I've got some of the clear plastic 31 rounder's coming from Xxxtech..... We shall see....

I put an aluminum mag release on my glock and it ruined all of my magazines. Cause all kinds of malfunctions and I just had to replace all of them.

I have been wanting a 9 millimeter AR and my plan was to get one that will take Glock magazines. I never thought about this issue. This is actually a really good case for getting a 9mm AR that takes Beretta magazines.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...

i just got a glock 17 in a kit and got 2 pmag magazines and i got the steel ammo and that ammo tore up those mags in 10 reloads, i was using one of those loaders that you put over the mag and press it down and insert 1 round at a time, and now the ammo has worn into the sides at the top where the rounds start going into there ofset positions and will not go further.  i sent pictures to pmag and they said it is the ammo, seems they would have a disclaimer telling you not to use that steel ammo.  so now i have to find mags that are steel lined down inside so the ammo will not tear up the inside of the mags. 

anyone happen to know what mag brands have the metal going all the way down in the plastic housing to not let the ammo tear up the inside of the mags? thanks

On 6/20/2016 at 12:00 PM, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

You can actually repair these worn ledges on Glock mags... I did three for a friend about a year ago... I just used one of his unused backstraps, melted it and built up the area on the mag... Made a sharp ledge with a cutting wheel on a dremel, and then sanded it down smooth... It worked perfectly and only took about 15-20 min to do all three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, wish I had thought of that when I worn out my mags.  Same material and all.

• 2 months later...

I had a kaboom recently and was happy I had a poly mag release.  I use the Ghost Tac mag release. The mag release split in half and blew the mag out the bottom. Had the mag release been metal it might not have broken and could have directed the blast in more destructive and dangerous directions. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2016 at 10:34 PM, TacticalReload said:

Yeah, it's the same reason why there aren't any good all steel mag bodies for Glocks, only in reverse.

This is so, so true.

I tried metal aftermarket hi-cap mags during the 94 ban.  Metal mag ate the plastic mag release rather quickly and caused major issues.