Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster Placement SS/Prod

Th3Un4givin

Hello, I was at a match last weekend and another shooter mentioned that the rules for holster and mag placement had recently been changed, that it no longer goes off of the hip bone. After looking through the new rule book and the recent amendments I still cant seem to find it, can someone point out the new rule or where to find it, or just let me know that this guy is mistaken.

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Wasn't there just some info about this in the most recent Front Sight? No rules changed, but they had a detailed diagram to help further explain allowed holster/mag pouch placements.

Edited by scottlep

Wasn't there just some info about this in the most recent Front Sight? No rules changed, but they had a detailed diagram to help further explain allowed holster/mag pouch placements.

I believe so. But I can't see why it's so hard. The hip bone is actually pretty far forward. All you have to do is find it and put your gear behind it.

I believe so. But I can't see why it's so hard. The hip bone is actually pretty far forward. All you have to do is find it and put your gear behind it.

This is how my gear is set up, but because the holster sits more forward than on my side i get questions allot but this was the first time someone had said something about a rule change.

No change. He was mistaken

This is what I was looking for, Thank you!

The only changes i'm aware of regarding gear location is the PENDING change to max distance from the body which probably won't happen until next year. Perhaps that's what he heard about?

The only changes i'm aware of regarding gear location is the PENDING change to max distance from the body which probably won't happen until next year. Perhaps that's what he heard about?

Single Stack and production would go from 2" to 2 1/8".

Width of a overlay.

If the proposed rule change goes in effect.

There was a recent clarification on the appendix E3 diagram as it relates to equipment position.

In the applicable divisions, all belt equipment must be completely behind the plane that intersects the points of both hipbones. This is a more conservative definition than was often applied before.

There is a diagram kicking around that was posted at Single Stack Nationals, but I cannot find it at the USPSA web site.

That's the way I think most people used to interpret the rule. But recently DNROI "clarified" the rule (not a rule change, but a "clarification" of the existing rule) as to what constitutes behind the hip bone. So now your gear can be behind your hip bone, but still not be behind your hip bone :huh:. See here: http://www.uspsa.org/forums/index.php?/topic/1602-behind-the-hip-bone/&page=1

There was a recent clarification on the appendix E3 diagram as it relates to equipment position.

In the applicable divisions, all belt equipment must be completely behind the plane that intersects the points of both hipbones. This is a more conservative definition than was often applied before.

There is a diagram kicking around that was posted at Single Stack Nationals, but I cannot find it at the USPSA web site.

post-293-0-87776400-1464143777_thumb.png

image.png

So I'm assuming that as long as the gun is being that line, your in compliance?

I never got close enough for the clarification to hurt me. Heck, I shoot open now and probably still pass that test. Unless you are really crowding the hip bone you'll be ok.

attachicon.gifimage.png

How is the diagram, and the red line, different from behind the forward point of the hip bone?

attachicon.gifimage.png

How is the diagram, and the red line, different from behind the forward point of the hip bone?

It isn't, really, but the diagram is designed to give everyone a visual reference for something the ROs had to poke people to find before.

As it was administered on the day I shot SSN, the ROs basically looked at folks before the first stage. If they looked close, they took the person/people aside and made a closer inspection of the diagram and the competitor. I think that happened to one person in my squad (not me).

Some people were previously drawing two lines, originating from their center and radiating outward from there to/through the front of their hipbone. This line/angle would allow one to move their equipment considerably forward. Think a "\/" versus a "---".

• 3 weeks later...

Single Stack and production would go from 2" to 2 1/8".

Width of a overlay.

If the proposed rule change goes in effect.

This rule change was approved, but can't take effect until 2017. The bylaws restrict how often equipment rules can be changed.