Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Warning Alarm Not Sounding

I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong, but the primer alarm on my new Square Deal B isn't beeping when I'm low on or even out of primers. The beeper works if I press on the lever, but the black plunger doesn't seem to be heavy enough to press down the lever by itself.

Did I install this correctly?

4h3X8SN.jpg?1

Well, I tried putting the .45ACP case on the end of the plunger, but that wasn't heavy enough.

Then I put a pellet of #00 buckshot inside the .45ACP, but that still wasn't heavy enough.

Finally, I settled on the .45ACP plus buckshot plus 6 small washers, and the alarm is now going off when I'm low on primers. :)

The .45ACP case fits snug over the round portion at the end, so I didn't even glue it on. Taking the washers off an on is going to be a pain, so I'll try to think of something heavier I could put inside the .45ACP case, or maybe just glue the washers together so they come off together in one piece. Unfortunately, 2 pellets of buckshot didn't seem to leave enough room to slip the case on the end.

4z1W0a6.jpg?1

I had one on my press...battery would die, weak sound...sometimes wouldn't work, etc., besides it would go off and you still had several primers left.

I'm gonna catch a lot of flack about this, but I made a new rod....out of brass....I made it long enough that when the last primer was fed, and the case was primed, it would lock the primer bar in the rearward position (RL550B), and the primer bar would not move forward. While it doesn't stop you from continuing to use the press, you can definitely tell something is different instantly, so you stop, remove the brass rod, drop more primers in, replace the brass rod, amd keep going. And the brass rod adds weight to the system to make the primers feed better...

Is the rod completely straight or is it bowed a bit? Mine was bowed when I first got it. I gently bent it the other way, straightened it out and put an empty .45 case on it and it works just fine now.

To make it neater get a 9mm or 38 160gn wad cutter. Stick it on a hard surface and smack it with a hammer a few times. It should now fit neatly in the 45acp case and only fill the bottom third. Now fit the case over the end of the rod. Now it'll work properly. :)

The lever moves freely, the switch doesn't appear to be sticking (but obviously needs more pressure than the rod can provide), the rod doesn't appear to be bowed, and the battery is new.

I just assumed I somehow installed the warning alarm wrong. But if that's the way it's supposed to be, this rod is way too lightweight to set off that switch. So either the switch is too tough, or the rod is missing some heavier component! :)

I'm sure Dillon will fix me up. In the meantime, my weight rigged rod is working fine.

It shouldn't need that much weight. Mine works almost perfectly with the rod alone. I added an empty .45 shell and it's perfect. If you have to add 2-300 grains to make it trip, it's broken. Dillon will fix you up.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Call them, seriously, they'll have whatever you need in the mail tomorrow. I also have the sdb with the plastic rod. Works everytime. You might try exercising the alarm button, could be stiff being new. My 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is the response from Dillon after determining that the rod was not bent:

"I am mailing you replacement electronic internals for the alarm. This should correct the issue."

We'll see how it goes when the internals come in the mail. Good response time from Dillon email support.