Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pre built vs. custom built

Lhelliott

Im thinking about buying a STI Limited or CK Arms on gun broker but looking at custom builders there starting prices aren't much higher. What are some of the pros and cons of buying a pre-built and custom build. It would be a 9mm limited gun I would use for 3 gun and uspsa.

Most of your customs do not come with any mags. On that note I love my Akai. I think the custom builders put a little more heart and soul into each gun. Cry once.. your resell with a great builder will also be better then some of the pre-builts.

A CK Arms gun is built as a custom gun with a couple of standard looks. All of the parts are high quality barstock or billet parts. It will run right out of the box. If you want to customize the look some, send it to Gans Guns for the milling. You'll have it back in a week or so.

If I didn't want to wait, that's what I would do. In another life I was a tool and die maker. I adore fine finishes, close tolerances and precision. I'm also keen on aesthetics.

If I were starting out all over again, here is what I would do. I'd buy the CK Arms Limited gun. Then I would shoot it for an entire season. After that, I'd know what I might want to change, if I already hadn't already done it. Then I would consider ordering a custom gun. If I started with a Hardcore in black with stainless controls, I'd probably end up staying with it.

Well, with a custom you are paying a bit more - not a lot honestly, but it does cost a bit more. You also wait a bit longer.

On the other hand, you can pick out EXACTLY what you want. That said - you kind of have to have an idea of what you like and don't like on the guns too otherwise you're just taking random guesses on the build sheet.

With that in mind - if you've shot a lot of 2011's and know what you want, I'd go for a custom built. If you're just kinda starting out - I'd probably say to opt for an off the shelf option. Shoot that long enough for you to understand what it is you like and then use that knowledge to get a custom gun later. You can either sell your stock gun if you need the funds or keep it as a backup (which always helps).

Of particular note is the 9mm choice: that's optimal for 3-gun, but will be a handicap in USPSA. It's not like its going to take you from the top of the field to the bottom, but pretty much all top competitors in Limited shoot .40's for Major scoring. With that in mind if you foresee being able to afford two guns, it might even help you to pickup the first one in 9mm or .40S&W, and then later after you know what you want have a custom built in the other caliber (or have a custom built with 2 top ends).

I have several CK Arms handguns in Limited and Open. I would strongly recommend going with the CK Arms gun. Bobby at Freedom Gunworks stands behind all his builds and they are top notch guns.

Custom guns will likely come with 'better' internal parts, better fit, and have all the features you personally want. Some things are expensive or impossible to change - like stippling on the front strap, or changing from an LPA to a Bomar sight, etc.

I got a nice stock gun with a lot of 'upgrades' - but still spent a ton of cash personalizing it and/or improving it. A custom gun would probably have been the same or less money and I'd have everything exactly as I want. The flip side is that I spent a little less cash to start, and got to shoot a quality gun while I decided what features I decided I needed to add.

If you have some good shooting experience and know exactly what you want in a gun, get a custom. If you are new, it wouldn't hurt to go custom but you might not know what you want until it's too late.

A quality stock competition gun will keep a lot of its value if you decide to sell it. So will a custom gun from a reputable builder.

I have several CK Arms handguns in Limited and Open. I would strongly recommend going with the CK Arms gun. Bobby at Freedom Gunworks stands behind all his builds and they are top notch guns.

+1 for freedom gunworks/ CK arms great pistols and top notch customer service

I have done both.

Got a full custom from a well known builder. It was OK but considering the year wait I won't do that again.

The CK open gun I got is exceptional. I am the kind of guy who dosnt tweak out on the details. During the first 100 rounds it didn't go into battery twice (tight lockup) since then it has run flawless. For no wait and a gun that has run 100% after a very short break in, that's a winner.

Good luck amigo!

I waited under 3 months for my Atlas custom and since the very first round, it has never had a single hangup. It was cheaper than getting an off the shelf gun and adding the parts I wanted to it. Customer service is great too. I got email updates all the time and all my questions were answered right away. Convinced my buddy to get one later and he got updates via texts and responses instantly.

If you're going to buy an off the shelf gun and shoot it as-is, they make sense. If you start swapping much more than the trigger and maybe sights, you might as well spend the money on a custom gun. I bought an STI because I wanted to make sure I would be happy with the platform before dropping $3-4000 on a custom build. I'll eventually buy a custom gun and keep the STI as a backup gun.

Atlas. I don't have a full custom from them. I have Adams old personal gun which was a top end from another builder that they fit to another frame and put a new barrel in. It is far and away the best gun I've ever owned. It will run any bullet weight, shape, length. It runs clean or after several thousand rounds. Still shoots lights out and is nice and tight. I've got excellent info and customer service from them even though this was purchased second hand from them. When I finally pry myself away from this gun it will be for a full custom Atlas gun.

Which are you gonna use it more for uspsa it 3 gun. It you are shooting uspsa even close to serious go with a 40. The 9mm in limited is just not competitive in uspsa. The couple extra rounds don't overcome the points lost in uspsa. In 3 gun you really don't loose much if anything going with 40 especially 40minor. As for the gun nothing really wrong with with off the shelf and get it tuned a little i.e. Trigger job etc. A Custom isn't isn't always a get what you pay for. How many customs (from different builders)have been talked about posted with horrid machine work with tool marks all over, stuff that is totally not right like holes for the bomar sight drilled all the way through the slide etc. there usually is a point where the builder does good work and that is after they figure out what they are doing and before they get popular and have such a demand they try and churn them out faster to get more out there.

That's my gun. It's really nice.

It replaces my DVC as my primary gun. I should had gone with a full custom right from the start instead of installing a metal grip, sv trigger, EGW ambi safety on my DVC. Gun ended up costing about the same as a full custom one did.

Don't use 9 for USPSA, go 40 S&W.

It replaces my DVC as my primary gun. I should had gone with a full custom right from the start instead of installing a metal grip, sv trigger, EGW ambi safety on my DVC. Gun ended up costing about the same as a full custom one did.

Nice Ed. Good luck with it. You shooting it at Spring Blast?

Another vote for Atlas Gunworks. If you buy an off the shelf gun and start modifying it, you will quickly be at custom gun prices.

As far 9mm or 40.. .40 is the way to go if you are shooting uspsa. You can always load .40 minor if you really wanted to for 3 gun. Other options include having a 9 and 40 top end built as is getting a gun with interchangeable breach faces that will allow you to shoot either.

Atlas has some good videos on you tube that break down the costs to modify off the shelf guns.

Nice Ed. Good luck with it. You shooting it at Spring Blast?

Yes, I'm glad it came in time. Not much time to test it but so far it's excellent.

Just a heads up, Atlas just posted this photo to their instagram page, looks like its the CK kind of business model where its essentially a custom gun but with standard features and finishes. Might be something for the OP to consider.

Atlas Gunworks titan series. Limited guns @ $3699 Coming soon..... All the performance none of the flashy details.13117943_1533538720287528_1314077485_n.j

Edited by travisb2352